Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

End of Steer and the Diamond?

Diamond puts far too much pressure on the full backs - can't get it to work with Solly at LB and Dijksteel at RB, both out of position.

As for Steer, I'm totally underwhelmed. We want our Phillips back!

Comments

• Options

Diamond puts far too much pressure on the full backs - can't get it to work with Solly at LB and Dijksteel at RB, both out of position.

As for Steer, I'm totally underwhelmed. We want our Phillips back!

Need to play 3-5-2.

Oh.

• Options
    Think 442 is the only option with Page crocked and no cover.
  • Options

Think 442 is the only option with Page crocked and no cover.

Marshall. Lapslie.
  • Options
    Phillips
    Solly Sarr Pearce Djiksteel
    Reeves Cullen Aribo Fosu
    Grant Taylor
  • Options

Phillips
    Solly Sarr Pearce Djiksteel
    Reeves Cullen Aribo Fosu
    Grant Taylor

This.
  • Options
    Need Bielik
  • Options
    Pratley is a bit of a walking time bomb. Brought in to add a bit of steel in midfield but is guaranteed a booking every game.
  • Options
    In hindsight today Id have gone

Steer
    Solly - Pearce - Sarr
    Lapslie - Aribo - Pratley - Cullen
    Fosu
    Grant - Taylor

Solly has shown he can play as part of a three man defence so should have overloaded the midfield when Page went off

Diamond isnt done for me... Just a bad day at the office in terms of that formation as it happens occasionally
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now the reason Bow put Steer in front of Phillips was his distribution. Now I always thought a goalkeeper was there to keep a ball out of the net, not to be next the Franz Beckenbauer!
  • Options
    Pratley will be banned for saturday & I think Bielik will not be fit. Major team selection problems - I think GK is the least of our worries. Get past saturday & then we have a week off (forget about paintpot trophy) & hopefully by the time we play Barnsley we will be in a better position.
  • Options

Pratley will be banned for saturday & I think Bielik will not be fit. Major team selection problems - I think GK is the least of our worries. Get past saturday & then we have a week off (forget about paintpot trophy) & hopefully by the time we play Barnsley we will be in a better position.

Possibly no Page this Saturday and a Taylor booking against Cov?
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Laddick01 said:

I don't rate Steer but I think this is a case of a player becoming 'better' when he's on the bench. Both make more mistakes than a good League 1 keeper should.

What mistakes has Phillips made.

He was very harshly dropped
    Without digging back through all the games the first goal at Sunderland stood out. Whilst not being a howler, it’s a shot a keeper should save at this level.
    Agree here tbh. It's a shame we lack a good keeper at this level and some depth in the squad. Fcuk Roland
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Laddick01 said:

I don't rate Steer but I think this is a case of a player becoming 'better' when he's on the bench. Both make more mistakes than a good League 1 keeper should.

What mistakes has Phillips made.

He was very harshly dropped
    Without digging back through all the games the first goal at Sunderland stood out. Whilst not being a howler, it’s a shot a keeper should save at this level.
    If you watch Match of the Day on a Saturday you could make the same argument for a lot of the goals that go in - not every keeper saves everything. Some of our fans just want to dig Phillips out.

Hugo Lloris gifted a goal in the World Cup Final so I'm assuming he wouldn't be good enough for Charlton?

Phillips looks to be a better shot stopper than Steer to me and seems more commanding. His distribution can be worked on but to me he seems well up to L1 standard.

A good keeper limits his mistakes but Steer seems to be struggling.

• Options
    I would bring Marshall in at LB - although I don't think Bowyer rates him. Can't see the point of playing Solly there and Djiksteel at Rb .Looked at the goals briefly at not sure why Steer gets slated for last night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I would bring Marshall in at LB - although I don't think Bowyer rates him. Can't see the point of playing Solly there and Djiksteel at Rb .Looked at the goals briefly at not sure why Steer gets slated for last night

Not sure what Steer is doing for the first goal and slow to get down for the fifth - to be fair the defence seems to have gone AWOL for most of the evening. Can't see the point of him playing if he's a loan player and no better than Phillips.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

It's not just the goals Ray which I grant you he was left exposed for most but his overall play. Not once can I remember him coming for a ball and when you have a mish mash in front of you they need to see their keeper stepping up to the plate coming for crosses and barking out orders. Sadly to say but he reminded me of s Subuteo keeper on a short stick. And he's no spring chicken, done a load of bench warming and not fancied by Villa.......hmm.:-(
  • Options
    Phillips must be knocking on Bowyer’s door this morning. Not saying Steer is rubbish as we haven’t really seen enough of him. But 7 conceded in two games isn’t pretty. Last season Amos was digging out crucial saves, have we seen Steer make any impressive stops so far?
    Phillips deserves another go.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Pratley is a bit of a walking time bomb. Brought in to add a bit of steel in midfield but is guaranteed a booking every game.

Bang on. Often gets beaten for pace and lunges in. Can see us playing with 10 men sooner rather than later.
  • Options

Its our 1st defeat in 7 its time to regroup and see where we stand.

Pretty much echoing what Bowyer said we need to look and go again.

As for the keeper.

1st goal maybe should have done better but then the same can be applied to Solly.
    2nd loops up out of reach not sure he can do a lot.
    3rd exposed not a lot he can do
    4th Penalty not a lot
    5th exposed

I'm not sure he is entirely at fault for any goals, maybe we afford him a little time to bed in like Amos did last season.

Although disappointed last night I think it was just one of those games and your run is gonna end sometime and when its does I'd rather it a 5-3 having a go than a 1 zip

Steer is not in the same league as Amos so why play him ahead of Phillips - all seems v strange to me. Either Bowyer has agreed to play Steer as part of the loan deal or Phillips has upset him.

Steer has not impressed me and I don't understand why Phillips was dropped
  • Options
    First defeat since August. Not seen yesterday's game but sounds like we defended poorly. However, seems very premature to me to start suggesting that we need to change formation or make other significant alterations.

We've got a ridiculously thin squad, you can't get around that fact, no matter how much you juggle the team.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

First defeat since August. Not seen yesterday's game but sounds like we defended poorly. However, seems very premature to me to start suggesting that we need to change formation or make other significant alterations.

We've got a ridiculously thin squad, you can't get around that fact, no matter how much you juggle the team.

We're not great defensively - how much is down to formation and how much to the players I don't know.

We may not have the best squad but Accrington are in 5th with a wage bill of about 50p.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

As a whole the squad isn't thin now, but all the "spare players" are more attacking options. Defensively we lacked cover, but we're also slightly unlucky to have Bauer, Page and probably Bielik all out at the same time.

Marshall at LB isn't brilliant, but probably the least worst alternative. Solly back at RB, Djiksteel into midfield as a shield?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Its our 1st defeat in 7 its time to regroup and see where we stand.

Pretty much echoing what Bowyer said we need to look and go again.

As for the keeper.

1st goal maybe should have done better but then the same can be applied to Solly.
    2nd loops up out of reach not sure he can do a lot.
    3rd exposed not a lot he can do
    4th Penalty not a lot
    5th exposed

I'm not sure he is entirely at fault for any goals, maybe we afford him a little time to bed in like Amos did last season.

Although disappointed last night I think it was just one of those games and your run is gonna end sometime and when its does I'd rather it a 5-3 having a go than a 1 zip

Steer is not in the same league as Amos so why play him ahead of Phillips - all seems v strange to me. Either Bowyer has agreed to play Steer as part of the loan deal or Phillips has upset him.

Steer has not impressed me and I don't understand why Phillips was dropped
    Or maybe he has hasn't agreed to Steer or Phillips hasn't upset him but he just prefers Steer based on what he sees daily.

He isn't the first Charlton manager to choose another keeper