Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luton v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018

Bit disappointed with Pearce for the first goal

Steer seems (from some) to be getting the blame for rushing out .. he had no option .. Pearce was just beaten in the air .. it happens
    Harsh to blame Pearce to the goal, as defenders will lose some headers, it's about how the other players react to the second ball. Was the line too high, were the other defenders a bit flat footed, did Steer come out when he should have stayed back?
    t'wasnt me 'blaming' Pearce, it was @AFKABartram .. read my post again .. you should have chosen to quote his post and not my 'defence' of Pearce
  • Options

Steer seems (from some) to be getting the blame for rushing out .. he had no option .. Pearce was just beaten in the air .. it happens
    Harsh to blame Pearce to the goal, as defenders will lose some headers, it's about how the other players react to the second ball. Was the line too high, were the other defenders a bit flat footed, did Steer come out when he should have stayed back?
    t'wasnt me 'blaming' Pearce, it was @AFKABartram .. read my post again .. you should have chosen to quote his post and not my 'defence' of Pearce
    I wasn't contradicting your post, I was if anything agreeing with it.
  • Options

Aribo, Reeves, Fosu, (and to a lesser extent) Taylor, should all be reminded that skillful as they may be - best way to create space is one touch football.

Maybe that's where we missed Jamie Ward?

I've been really impressed with his one-touch passing.

• Options

I wasn't contradicting your post, I was if anything agreeing with it.
    cheers .. rarely do I have anyone on here agreeing with me ((:>)
  • Options
    edited September 2018

It does. You can imagine the reaction if it had been Sarr beaten to that header and not Pearce, though.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

No CB is going to win every aerial challenge, Pearce is great at it but not infallible. Steer had to choose between coming out and trying to narrow the angle/panic the striker or hanging back and hoping to make the save. It's a judgment call that this time didn't work out but if he'd stayed he may have conceded anyway...

It is very true - had he not come out so much he may have been criticised for not doing so. But with the benefit of hindsight, their player had a defender close by. I think it was an error, but an understandable one.
  • Options

The street that leads down to Kennilworth Road, my mum would probably be made to wear a veil just to walk down that road. LOL! ;)

What does this have to do with football?
    you know by now surely .. only 40% of stuff on here is football related ((:>) .. at least his post mentioned the street whereon Luton Town FC's ground is located
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought Luton were one of the best sides we’ve played this season, well drilled, retained the ball fairly well and stopped key players and us as a whole playing at times, we are not going to be able to play lovely passing football every week.

Fosu was good I think and will only get better with a run of games, Taylor was marked quite heavily and I think we missed KAG, which I never thought I’d say.

Cracking day out spoons before the game was funny, we were liked animals at the zoo, not because of behaviour but because shoppers and locals felt the need to stop and take photos behind the line of robocops for some reason.

Celebration for 2-2 was mental, my old man tumbled down the steps we were stood on but was okay in the end just a bruised shoulder was funny when we realised he was alright, good atmosphere and I think our fans deserve credit for the constant Naby Sarr chants of encouragement, we know he’s not the best player in the team, but what better way to accommodate his foreseeable run in the side now.

Shoppers & locals came into Weatherspoons to take photos?
    How did they know, presumably there was a lot of singing?
    More likely you must have been outside, which I wouldn't have thought the police would allow?
  • Options

I thought Luton were one of the best sides we’ve played this season, well drilled, retained the ball fairly well and stopped key players and us as a whole playing at times, we are not going to be able to play lovely passing football every week.

Fosu was good I think and will only get better with a run of games, Taylor was marked quite heavily and I think we missed KAG, which I never thought I’d say.

Cracking day out spoons before the game was funny, we were liked animals at the zoo, not because of behaviour but because shoppers and locals felt the need to stop and take photos behind the line of robocops for some reason.

Celebration for 2-2 was mental, my old man tumbled down the steps we were stood on but was okay in the end just a bruised shoulder was funny when we realised he was alright, good atmosphere and I think our fans deserve credit for the constant Naby Sarr chants of encouragement, we know he’s not the best player in the team, but what better way to accommodate his foreseeable run in the side now.

Shoppers & locals came into Weatherspoons to take photos?
    How did they know, presumably there was a lot of singing?
    More likely you must have been outside, which I wouldn't have thought the police would allow?
    Our fans were outside drinking, and yes plenty of singing. Police I thought were very reasonable, allowed singing and noise etc long as no one crossed the line.
  • Options

Cracking day out spoons before the game was funny, we were liked animals at the zoo, not because of behaviour but because shoppers and locals felt the need to stop and take photos for some reason.

I think Sarr is a lot better player than he gets credit for.
    I think he shows glimpses but a potential accident waiting to happen.
    Everyone says this every week. How many howlers has he committed that have led to goals this season?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Cracking day out spoons before the game was funny, we were liked animals at the zoo, not because of behaviour but because shoppers and locals felt the need to stop and take photos for some reason.

Everyone says this every week. How many howlers has he committed that have led to goals this season?
    Just doesn’t fill me with that much confidence to be honest, hope to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    The outside is an area which is part of the pub with tables etc. Both sets of supporters there, but only one lot singing. Great day out.
  • Options
    Superb day out, great gutsy performance to get a equaliser, absolute scenes when we scored. Well done Bowyer and the boys.

Thanks to @roseandcrown for the beer at half time cheers mate.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

So... Fosu taking the penalty instead of Taylor wasn’t planned and wasn’t something sanctioned by Bowyer....

... strange one that

Anywayyyy... good to be buzzing about Charlton again and looking ahead at the fixture list with excited anticipation

Where have you heard this ?? not been reported on here on any tweets I've seen.

I did say to Golfie Jnr at the time I wondered what Taylor would do......did Fosu take over ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nicholas said:

Superb day out, great gutsy performance to get a equaliser, absolute scenes when we scored. Well done Bowyer and the boys.

One of the most generous people going Charlton @roseandcrown top fella
    As for his mate elfs.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

No worries mate
  • Options
    Talking to a Luton supporter on the way home and he thought we were the best team they had played this season. Quite a compliment when you check who they have played at home.

Great day out, and that goal at the end. Mental.
  • Options

Indeed, sure it happens. Imagine if were Sarr though.
  • Options

Have to agree with that. Dwells a little too long on the ball for me - especially when he has someone closing him down. Gonna lose possession one day and then we will be on the you-know-what.
  • Options
    Can’t beat a last minute loop !

Last time I saw Charlton fans running down like that was when loads were crying cos Shrewsbury had the temerity to go mental after scoring in the play offs against us !

There’s a really really old fella in there who looks like Nicholas but can’t be him looks far too old !
  • Options

The street that leads down to Kennilworth Road, my mum would probably be made to wear a veil just to walk down that road. LOL! ;)

What does this have to do with football?
    More to the point, what sort of comment is it in the first place?
  • Options

He's one of the best passers in the team. His defending is generally OK but he does seem to do one howler a week (I'm not saying others don't), it's just a matter of does it lead to a goal or not. Saturday's didn't.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Don't score enough goals have a day off.
    Last 5 games 3 away 11 goals scored

Look at the goals scored so far this season compared with the other top 6 sides. Also note our GD.
    1 and 1/2 goals a game
    And would put us on 69 goals
    Which isn’t usually enough for the top 2. Bolton and Burton have scored around that in recent seasons and finished 2nd, but I’m not sure our defending is good enough to make up for it.

Though I wouldn’t write us off improving either our goalscoring or defending at this stage.
    The point is that post-Fleetwood we have been scoring more than two goals a game. I don’t think it’s an accident. It’s more likely to do with the extra players available in midfield. If you discount the first five matches (four goals) the scoring ratio is fine.
    Fair enough. Earlier on in the season I felt our midfield was lacking something. There’s a better balance now and they’re more threatening going forward.

Need them to start scoring though, I think Fosu’s penalty was our first goal scored by a midfielder this season.
    You having a laugh the start of the season we could barely put a midfield out and we've still given every team a game
    Not having a laugh, all I’m saying is to me the midfield has looked better recently.

I wasn’t saying the midfield was poor, we just needed a different type of player in there. Cullen and playing a diamond have both helped, we’ve got an extra midfielder in there rather than a third CB.

Pratley, Lapslie and Aribo wouldn’t have picked out a pass like Cullen’s for Grant’s goal the other day for example.