Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's the best people carrier?

Comments

• The sliding doors on the 7-seat Seat Alhambra (aka VW Sharan) are very helpful with young kids but they have a habit of freezing up on cold mornings. Other than that it's a great car and drives very well despite its size especially in the 170bhp version.

Also agree with others that the Ford S-Max is a great car and less likely to make you look like an Uber driver than the Galaxy.

That last bit, thats exactly what is what puts me off the Galaxy. I may as well just get Addison Lee put on the side of it!
  • Geoff Capes
  • edited September 2018
    Land Rover Discovery Sport of course, 7 seats (back 2 are a tad small) but its a proper car too, pricey of course though
  • Got a Kia Sorento. 7 seater, loads of space & don’t feel like you’re driving a boat! Decent motor.
  • vw touran seem to be v popular with the uber boys who obvs need reliability
  • Nissan Cube and just per chance I have one for sale!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

We've got an S-Max Titanium Sport, 2 litre Diesel, automatic gear box, absolute dream to drive, the 2 'boot' seats are very good, loads of space

all the usual gadgets, Bluetooth etc....had since 6 months old, it's a 64 plate, reliable as anything.

would highly recommend.

Are the boot seats adult friendly? Or at least 5' 7-8" teenager friendly?

The S-Max is the one that we haven't got around to test driving yet. We're looking at a car to be able to take 7, 6 being adults on a regular basis. We liked the Galaxy but the wife likes the look of the Citreon Space Tourer thing but I've got a dislike of French cars in general tbh.

We've been toying with buying a Volvo XC90 for the last 12 months but spending anything north of £45-50k for the spec of what we want is making my wife feel queasy but it can comfortably sit 7 x 6ft adults in the car with headroom to spare and leg room AND it gives you boot space.

If money was no object and diesel was cheaper, I'd go for a Lincoln Navigator imported from the US. I absolutely loved the one I drove in California a few years ago.

not sure about adult friendly, my eldest is 5ft 5" and sat comfortably in one down to France for a lengthy part of the journey, not sure I'd have fancied it at 5ft 10"
  • Nissan Cube and just per chance I have one for sale!

Did you miss the 'best' in the title :wink:
  • razil said:

Land Rover Discovery Sport of course, 7 seats (back 2 are a tad small) but its a proper car too, pricey of course though

if you get a Disco 3/4 the extra two seats are fine for adults. But prepare for big repair bills!
  • Rob7Lee said:

razil said:

if you get a Disco 3/4 the extra two seats are fine for adults. But prepare for big repair bills!
    Much prefer the Disco 4 to the Sport. The Sport's interior surprised me as its so much plastic, and is far from a Range Rover as you could ever want. Was really disappointed as always liked the look of them from the outside but the inside was a huge let down.

And Dont get me started with the new Disco. Jeez, that is a montrosity. The rear number plate seems to have been an after thought :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Nissan Cube and just per chance I have one for sale!

Did you miss the 'best' in the title :wink:
    Lovely motor, John!
  • It probably never happens but those 5 + 2, seven seaters where you stick two kids in the small space at the back where the boot normally is always seems to me to putting those kids at risk. What’s going to save them if something crashes into the back of the motor ?
  • It probably never happens but those 5 + 2, seven seaters where you stick two kids in the small space at the back where the boot normally is always seems to me to putting those kids at risk. What’s going to save them if something crashes into the back of the motor ?

I have witnessed a crash on the A2 involving a 5 + 2 and it was not good. The kids were facing out the back as well so they could look out the rear window, the seats did not face front. This type of set up should be banned.
  • Disco sport = Freelander 3 - is what I was referring to. The new Discovery (full size not Sport) I agree is minging in many ways.

Not sure about the safety element of 5+2 aspect of the Disco Sport, seems to me you would have similar problems in all people carriers where there isn't much of a boot crumple zone (which is all of them right?)
  • razil said:

Disco sport = Freelander 3 - is what I was referring to. The new Discovery (full size not Sport) I agree is minging in many ways.

Not sure about the safety element of 5+2 aspect of the Disco Sport, seems to me you would have similar problems in all people carriers where there isn't much of a boot crumple zone (which is all of them right?)

No boot space either if you use all 3 rows of seating, so fine for a short journey but not if you're say going on holiday!
  • Recently got a Skoda Kodiaq and absolutely delighted with it. Have 5 kids and it gets us around comfortably.
  • No one has mentioned the London Taxi.
  • Acab said:

No one has mentioned the London Taxi.

That famous 6 seater ?
  • razil said:

Disco sport = Freelander 3 - is what I was referring to. The new Discovery (full size not Sport) I agree is minging in many ways.

No boot space either if you use all 3 rows of seating, so fine for a short journey but not if you're say going on holiday!
    Actually there is, about the width of an adult welly boot..

• Ford Galaxy. Had one for the last 10 years. Parts (if you need them) not silly money. Current one is 122000 miles. Auto box. Get 40mph on a run. Excellent 7 seat. Mate had a Scenic, died after 5 years ,even main dealer couldn't get it going. Also Fords do not catch fire like a Zafira!!

Surely the op will need to go faster than 40mph?
  • Sponsored links:

• We've got an S-Max Titanium Sport, 2 litre Diesel, automatic gear box, absolute dream to drive, the 2 'boot' seats are very good, loads of space

all the usual gadgets, Bluetooth etc....had since 6 months old, it's a 64 plate, reliable as anything.

would highly recommend.

Yeah, that’s what we’ve got, although ours is 2011.

The new Discovery’s design (in my opinion) is awful. The old one is great, boxy, but classy looking. It looks like any generic SUV now with an ugly back.
  • Just buy a volvo estate
    Sorted
  • edited October 2019
    Aaaand over a year later still pondering the same decision! Any updates etc.

Budget is small, only £6-7k, mileages dependant.
  • A Lewis coach, circa ‘85 (when they started having toilets). With Eddie driving and Betty H keeping everyone in check.
  • Had a Peugeot 3008 for the past 18 months -  not a 7 seater, but  very roomy for 5 and loads of luggage space.
  • VW Caravelle - tons of space and a real workhorse.
  • 100% it's this guy

Hold the door buddy, hold the door

• VW Caravelle - tons of space and a real workhorse.
    Concur with this.
    Masses of space, and so useful. Mine had a 1.9 Diesel engine so, got about 25 to the gallon from it.
    I miss mine, bought it for 10k in 2010 and sold it for 9k in 2017 - not bad eh!
  • edited October 2019
    Bought one of the last model Disco 4 last September. Brilliant as a 7 seater with plenty of room for 6 footers in the two pop up seats, though luggage space does become a bit limited.

The car's a fantastic all rounder.