Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Woolwich Ferry boats....only 2 weeks left

Comments

• Options

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

Talking about this earlier, spending all day on the boats playing run outs, racing the boat back by using the foot tunnel and the lift or occasionally going to the swing park. Got a bit much when I hit 40 as the knees had gone. ;)

You have brought some memories back there Ray, I lived 5 minutes up the road from the ferry and it was always a favourite for run outs. How the hell did we used to find each other.

I play hide and seek with my grandkids and they give up after 2 minutes if they can’t find me in a house, how would they cope with a big portion of South and East London
    I've been researching my background since my mothers death and I believe I used to play on the woolwich ferry because it was sheltered from the weather and I was away from my home until bedtime, it was my safe place as a 9/10 year old and friends used to meet me there. I know I slept on one of the boats that is moored on the right by the ramps if they are the same boats, I remember getting caught by a night watchman and he made me a hot drink and handed me over to police/social services in the morning. I went to woolwich magistrates court as I wouldn't give them my name as I didn't want them to send me home, they sent me to a young offenders hostel because I had no fixed abode. I remember being so happy and having the best sleep in a proper bed for a couple of years. At 13 I ran away again in those days the boat didn't count people on and off I used to just curl up and go to sleep on the boat the engines almost humming me to sleep. Only later did I realise I was subject to abuse by a step father, I would tell my friends to meet on the boat rather at the house I lived, I generally don't remember any of my friends names as a 9/10 year old as I'd like to fill in some of my childhood blanks in my memory. But those boats gave me some fun in some dark times.
    @TCE a very powerful story mate!! Its funny how old photos evoke so many different happy/sad memories. Mine, as stated, were happy ones where we ended up at the Tudor Barn in Well Hall for lunch, then back to my Nans house in Phineas Pett Rd (top of Well Hall Rd) just off Cobbett Rd (near the Stephen Lawrence bust stop). I used to love being with them once a week. Yet for @TCE it evoked a different type of memory altogether. It made me think were we on the ferry at the same time, yet our paths never crossed until the best part of 50 years later?
    Certainly was.
    Wasn't sure about the like option, as it appears their wasn't much to like at the time.
    All the best T-C-E
  • Options
    I use to bunk off school on the ferry, i went to Woolwich Poly,duck out of school, get a sausage roll and cup of tea in the ferry cafe then sit on the ferry for hours, they had a smoking saloon with sliding doors.

The boats and engines gleamed!, also remember when an HTS unit and trailer "fell off" the car deck because the driver had parked on the "deadman" and not on the handbrake.
  • Options

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

Talking about this earlier, spending all day on the boats playing run outs, racing the boat back by using the foot tunnel and the lift or occasionally going to the swing park. Got a bit much when I hit 40 as the knees had gone. ;)

You have brought some memories back there Ray, I lived 5 minutes up the road from the ferry and it was always a favourite for run outs. How the hell did we used to find each other.

I play hide and seek with my grandkids and they give up after 2 minutes if they can’t find me in a house, how would they cope with a big portion of South and East London
    I've been researching my background since my mothers death and I believe I used to play on the woolwich ferry because it was sheltered from the weather and I was away from my home until bedtime, it was my safe place as a 9/10 year old and friends used to meet me there. I know I slept on one of the boats that is moored on the right by the ramps if they are the same boats, I remember getting caught by a night watchman and he made me a hot drink and handed me over to police/social services in the morning. I went to woolwich magistrates court as I wouldn't give them my name as I didn't want them to send me home, they sent me to a young offenders hostel because I had no fixed abode. I remember being so happy and having the best sleep in a proper bed for a couple of years. At 13 I ran away again in those days the boat didn't count people on and off I used to just curl up and go to sleep on the boat the engines almost humming me to sleep. Only later did I realise I was subject to abuse by a step father, I would tell my friends to meet on the boat rather at the house I lived, I generally don't remember any of my friends names as a 9/10 year old as I'd like to fill in some of my childhood blanks in my memory. But those boats gave me some fun in some dark times.
    Did you live in Woolwich Ray?
    I did amongst other places, the really strange thing is I can't remember the actual house I lived in when offences against myself and my sisters happened. I remember living in Se9 and actually spoke to my new friend Tom who asked if I'd seen his police station before about it. :) I was taken there as a child (6) after my father was found dead in our which was just behind the swimming baths in eltham, I then lived in Ann st in the maisonettes 7/8 near plumstead station which are still there and I remember living in Connaught estate 12/13 and Springfield se7 12/13/14 but the bit in middle is missing. It might natures way of protecting my last bit of my sanity. At 14/15 I lived in Charlton park, the toilets at shootershill and various mates sofas with their parents. I thought my recent dbs police check would reveal I'd been arrested and imprisoned at around 15/16 but that turned out not to be the case, it seems I was placed in a hostel for adult ex offenders near the sun in the sands for no other reason than I was homeless. Feck me if the BBC ever made a drama out of my childhood @Greenie would say that a bit far fetched. ;)

• Options
    Crusty54 said:

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

I'm gutted and had no idea this was happening. My mum's dad used to work at Woolwich Power Station and knew the ferrymen, he used to take me on the ferry's every week and we were allowed to watch the engines working from the engine room. Another piece of my childhood going.... I must try and get down there before the 5th.

Ffs Wally, they replaced that one ages ago. ;)
    @TCE is that you in your younger days with the 'titfer' on? ...LOL
    I genuinely don't remember those boats only the ones we have now. When were they taken out of service?
    Thanks
    That makes my dates about right, kipping on the new boat 69/70.
  • Options

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

@TCE a very powerful story mate!! Its funny how old photos evoke so many different happy/sad memories. Mine, as stated, were happy ones where we ended up at the Tudor Barn in Well Hall for lunch, then back to my Nans house in Phineas Pett Rd (top of Well Hall Rd) just off Cobbett Rd (near the Stephen Lawrence bust stop). I used to love being with them once a week. Yet for @TCE it evoked a different type of memory altogether. It made me think were we on the ferry at the same time, yet our paths never crossed until the best part of 50 years later?
    I've never considered sleeping rough as unhappy memories, as a young lad I should imagine they were scary but now consider them an experience. Obviously there wasn't the temptations there are now for young homeless, my biggest regret is not having a father about to put me straight so I knew what to do when I had children of my own, my mum couldn't deal with me so threw me out. ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2018

I use to bunk off school on the ferry, i went to Woolwich Poly,duck out of school, get a sausage roll and cup of tea in the ferry cafe then sit on the ferry for hours, they had a smoking saloon with sliding doors.

Ah, the inclusive option. :)
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I've taken lots of notes from this thread and added them to a lot of diary/research of my early years and it's a bit late to apologise for hijacking the thread. But knowing nothing about my dads family a request, if anyone knows the name Raymond Chapman age 35 who took his own life in Eltham around 1963 and has any information please shout it doesn't matter how irelevant you think it maybe.I do have exact dates/addresses and death certificates but am reluctant to disclose them as someone could well be living in the house.
    Thanks
    Ray
  • Options
    Never been on it
  • Options
    @T_C_E Have you investigated local newspaper reports surrounding your father's death? As well as the death itself there may be a report of the coroner's court hearing, and if there was a report about the funeral it may give you the names of relatives from his side of the family which could give you leads to follow up.

The coroner's records for 1963 are unlikely to be open yet - and in my experience are often destroyed rather than being put in the public domain once the statutory number of years have past. But I have found a lot from local papers about a relative who sadly committed suicide before WW2.
  • Options

As someone from north of the water travelling over the Woolwich Ferry as a kid with my granddad was a huge part of my matchday experience and all part of the day out.

Love 'em and still tried to justify using them even when it made sense to go another way.

Same for me. Going on the ferry was great foreplay to the main event.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ll be at Luton on Saturday, but for anybody interested:

There’s more about the ferries on the ‘Sivertown and North Woolwich past and present’ Facebook group.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Never seen these boats referred to as the North Woolwich Ferry boats before. They have always been and always will be the Woolwich Ferry boats.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I always caught the ferry, back to the better side of the river, after our games at Upton Park. Found it a lot less hassle than Blackwall, and being a miser it was cheaper than Dartford. Remember everyone in their cars listening to Sports Report as the scores came in.

Also recently crossed on the ferry and couldnt believe all the changes around Silvertown, North Woolwich and the ferry approach. I do believe I may be getting old.
  • Options
    Used to go on it all the time when my parents would visit friends over in Essex

They moved and combined with the QEII Bridge being built I never used it again until we played Dagenham in the League (that one we lost under Powell) ... Queue was really bad that day yet wanted to go on there for old time sake and nearly missed kick off
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

I did amongst other places, the really strange thing is I can't remember the actual house I lived in when offences against myself and my sisters happened. I remember living in Se9 and actually spoke to my new friend Tom who asked if I'd seen his police station before about it. :) I was taken there as a child (6) after my father was found dead in our which was just behind the swimming baths in eltham, I then lived in Ann st in the maisonettes 7/8 near plumstead station which are still there and I remember living in Connaught estate 12/13 and Springfield se7 12/13/14 but the bit in middle is missing. It might natures way of protecting my last bit of my sanity. At 14/15 I lived in Charlton park, the toilets at shootershill and various mates sofas with their parents. I thought my recent dbs police check would reveal I'd been arrested and imprisoned at around 15/16 but that turned out not to be the case, it seems I was placed in a hostel for adult ex offenders near the sun in the sands for no other reason than I was homeless. Feck me if the BBC ever made a drama out of my childhood @Greenie would say that a bit far fetched. ;)

When were you in the maisonettes in Ann Street, Ray. I lived at 184 from 1963 when they were first built until about 1977, the last block at the top near Brewery Road, next to the doctor's surgery.

The Ferry and some of the stories here bring back very happy memories. Used to get it regularly as a kid when we went over to North Woolwich to play football.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    bobmunro said:

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

When were you in the maisonettes in Ann Street, Ray. I lived at 184 from 1963 when they were first built until about 1977, the last block at the top near Brewery Road, next to the doctor's surgery.

The Ferry and some of the stories here bring back very happy memories. Used to get it regularly as a kid when we went over to North Woolwich to play football.
    Still trying find out exact dates but strangely I remember the door number 159 which was the second block top floor end flat. I went to Earl Rise school and remember my teacher being a Mr Donnelly, I went to the cub scouts group at the church in Griffin hill/Rd the red brick one.
    Just to add....
    I remember having my photo taken in my cubs uniform outside the flat, so I'm guessing I was around 6/7 which makes that around 1963. That was also when my father died and the house it happened was in SE9 of which I have no recollection of ever living in. My mum and dad had split up but had apparently agreed to give it another go, mum returned to the house in se9 to find Dad had taken his own life. I apparently was one of the first to see his body as being a child I burst through the door as soon as it was opened. I'm guessing, but I wouldn't known that at the time, he'd taken his own life. Sorry it's so graphic but I do know there were newspaper coverage at the time but my sister destroyed them as her feelings towards our dad differ. Apparently the reason they had split was because mum had an affair with a man she eventually married who went on to abuse us, so my sisters believe if dad hadn't taken his life the abuse wouldn't have happened, which is a fair point.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

bobmunro said:

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

Still trying find out exact dates but strangely I remember the door number 159 which was the second block top floor end flat. I went to Earl Rise school and remember my teacher being a Mr Donnelly, I went to the cub scouts group at the church in Griffin hill/Rd the red brick one.
    Snap on both of those!! The other teacher I remember there was Mrs Poulter.
  • Options

I expect she's in Paris at the moment ready to cheer on Ian and the boys.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:

Well this is the third set of Ferries I will have seen, I was 5-6 years old when the old paddle ferries were retired. My mum took us on the ferry to Victoria garden North Woolwich for an afternoon out, the down stairs of the diesel ones became a bit of a necking place for young couples in the late 60`s.

Well, I can confidently confirm that it was 'necking' place in the early 70's. I used to skive off school, meet up with the girl of the day, and we just used to go backwards and forwards over the river unaware of anything else until it was time to go home.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Thanks guys, I've taken lots of notes from this thread and added them to a lot of diary/research of my early years and it's a bit late to apologise for hijacking the thread. But knowing nothing about my dads family a request, if anyone knows the name Raymond Chapman age 35 who took his own life in Eltham around 1963 and has any information please shout it doesn't matter how irelevant you think it maybe.I do have exact dates/addresses and death certificates but am reluctant to disclose them as someone could well be living in the house.
    Thanks
    Ray

There's a large and active group on Facebook - "i'm from SE London". Might be worth sharing similar on there mate

https://facebook.com/groups/608383015919260
  • Options

I expect she's in Paris at the moment ready to cheer on Ian and the boys.

Maybe not - she would be about 110 now!!
  • Options

T_C_E said:

Thanks
    Ray

There's a large and active group on Facebook - "i'm from SE London". Might be worth sharing similar on there mate

Thank you just applied to join......
    I must say that's the politest, feck off and stop hijacking this thread I've ever read a place on admin beckons. ;)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

T_C_E said:

bobmunro said:

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

It's a small world, apparently I got asked to leave the cubs as I was a disruptive influence. (That's fecking hard to believe) 😂
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

Thanks
    Ray

Thank you just applied to join......
    I must say that's the politest, feck off and stop hijacking this thread I've ever read a place on admin beckons. ;)
    You story is much more interesting than the others on here mate! Carry on i say!
  • Options

msomerton said:

Well this is the third set of Ferries I will have seen, I was 5-6 years old when the old paddle ferries were retired. My mum took us on the ferry to Victoria garden North Woolwich for an afternoon out, the down stairs of the diesel ones became a bit of a necking place for young couples in the late 60`s.

Well, I can confidently confirm that it was 'necking' place in the early 70's. I used to skive off school, meet up with the girl of the day, and we just used to go backwards and forwards over the river unaware of anything else until it was time to go home.
    You have to get off after every crossing now. They count people on and off and the numbers get recorded in the ship’s records.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

msomerton said:

You have to get off after every crossing now. They count people on and off and the numbers get recorded in the ship’s records.
    Don't underestimate @Ted\'s Addicksson in the early 70s he could "get off" on every crossing, sometimes twice. ;)
  • Options

Never been on it

If you have young kids (which I think you do) go. They'll love it.
    But go as a foot passenger and go up the steps at the front or back. Great views.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    never been on it but might go on Saturday to say farewell to the old boats. is there anything worth looking at on the north side? decent pub? could only see this place near by... Henley Arms. looks pleasant. image