Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Woolwich Ferry boats....only 2 weeks left

Comments

• Options

This the one Oggy ? Must be what I remember too

Yep! That's it, Shooters!

This thread has made my Monday evening. Only on Charlton Life! lol

• Options
    Me too.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

T_C_E said:

I'm gutted and had no idea this was happening. My mum's dad used to work at Woolwich Power Station and knew the ferrymen, he used to take me on the ferry's every week and we were allowed to watch the engines working from the engine room. Another piece of my childhood going.... I must try and get down there before the 5th.

Ffs Wally, they replaced that one ages ago. ;)
    Where did you get that pic, Ray?

That's the paddle steamer I remember when I was a little lad!

https://www.southlondonclub.co.uk/blog/2017/6/27/a-brief-history-of-the-woolwich-ferry
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Not a huge fan of the woolwich Ferry if I’m being honest.

https://coub.com/view/balbj
  • Options
    That was a good read, Ray ....Cheers!

• Options
    T_C_E said:

Oggy Red said:

T_C_E said:

I'm gutted and had no idea this was happening. My mum's dad used to work at Woolwich Power Station and knew the ferrymen, he used to take me on the ferry's every week and we were allowed to watch the engines working from the engine room. Another piece of my childhood going.... I must try and get down there before the 5th.

https://www.southlondonclub.co.uk/blog/2017/6/27/a-brief-history-of-the-woolwich-ferry
    Great read
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

This the one Oggy ? Must be what I remember too

Yep! That's it, Shooters!

This thread has made my Monday evening. Only on Charlton Life! lol

So agree. Love this type of thread on CL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:

Talking about this earlier, spending all day on the boats playing run outs, racing the boat back by using the foot tunnel and the lift or occasionally going to the swing park. Got a bit much when I hit 40 as the knees had gone. ;)

You have brought some memories back there Ray, I lived 5 minutes up the road from the ferry and it was always a favourite for run outs. How the hell did we used to find each other.

I play hide and seek with my grandkids and they give up after 2 minutes if they can’t find me in a house, how would they cope with a big portion of South and East London
  • Options
    Used to love getting the ferry sitting in the open side by the steps completely p***ed after a four pack of special brew on the train from Richmond. Quality.
  • Options
    I used to take my kids on trips to "France".
    Bus to the ferry from Eltham. Over the water and into the library there that had the steam engines and back.
    They loved it. Globetrotters that they were!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

T_C_E said:

I remember seeing that get destroyed by Behemoth.
  • Options

Used to love getting the ferry sitting in the open side by the steps completely p***ed after a four pack of special brew on the train from Richmond. Quality.

That explains your username.
  • Options

Below decks on the Woolwich Ferry

Yep, that has stirred a memory, I remember all the brass and the gauges....and the smell!! I know its not closing, but its the old boats that were part of my childhood....used to have a great day out each week with my grandad, it was a treat I always looked forward to. Then we we went back to Eltham, we went down to Well Hall and had a meal in the 'Pleasance' (sp) after we had met my nan. Those pictures have taken me back some 50 years, thankyou.
    I'm not sure I remember the paddle steamer boats though, I think I first went on the boats I remember in '61/'62
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

@TCE is that you in your younger days with the 'titfer' on? ...LOL
  • Options
    My abiding memory is of walking down Hare Street to the old ferry approach and then on to that old wooden dock to the boats.
    As others have said the smell was unique.
    I am sure that I recall being able to reach over and stick your hand in the river on the old boats (but could be my memory playing tricks). Certainly couldn't get near on the "new" ones.
    It really felt like an adventure as a kid in the 50's and 60's.
    Anyone else used to be scared that the foot tunnel would collapse and you would be drowned and swept away by the Thames? :smile:
  • Options
    Too young to have been on the paddle steamers, but my Mum used to take me over to North Woolwich to the park regularly when I was little, one of my earliest memories.
    Later memories include going on it regularly when I was 18 and living on the wrong side and there'd always be a strong smell of glue as the glueys liked to stay on it all day going back and forth. I'd regularly use the foot tunnel as well, which could be a bit hairy.
    I may have some free time this weekend so will try and pop down memory lane
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well this is the third set of Ferries I will have seen, I was 5-6 years old when the old paddle ferries were retired. My mum took us on the ferry to Victoria garden North Woolwich for an afternoon out, the down stairs of the diesel ones became a bit of a necking place for young couples in the late 60`s.
  • Options
    Hopping The Wag. Who remembers that?

The Ferry is where I ussed to go when I did it. Back and forth, below decks to see the engines. Get off the other side and have something to eat in the cafe, and then back and forth again.

First time I took my kids on it they thought they had been on a voyage.

• Options
    edited September 2018

T_C_E said:

I genuinely don't remember those boats only the ones we have now. When were they taken out of service?
  • Options
    The only free car ferry in the UK ?
  • Options
    iainment said:

In my working life as a BT engineer I’d generally worked in the City or Docklands areas. Occasionally I’d be required to work as far east as Albert Dock. On one such occasion I decided to try the ferry en route home instead of the usual Blackwall Tunnel.

As I boarded I thought that column one was full and the deckhand had waved me to the front of column 2. This in fact turned out to be incorrect, and the deckhand chased me to the front of the boat. Simultaneously, the Captain took to his loud hailer and announced to the entire vessel that there would now be a delay due to BT thinking that they could just push in at the front and park where they wanted. I was directed to reverse the entire length of the boat to join the back of the queue.

This humiliation went on for the entire time I was reversing. In fact it felt like I was reversing the length of the Queen Mary rather than the Woolwich bloody ferry. Even when parked (as directed) at the rear of the boat, the Captain continued to point out the reason for the delay, so that as new vehicles boarded the occupants could look over and hate me.

Needless to say that was the last time I used the ferry, thank god for the Blackwall Tunnel.

I had a similar story. We were playing Millwall at Upton Park.
    Big flash motor roars on and goes to the front of an empty lane. Had Millwall stickers and a flag.
    The crew tell the driver to go to where he should be. At the back.
    He responds by screaming and shouting about how he's English and no one tells him what to do.
    Over the tannoy the skippers says if he doesn't move the ferry won't move and if necessary the police will be called to take him off.
    Much shouting, swearing and posturing ensued.
    I was worried we wouldn't make the match, we were bussing it.
    Eventually he gave in and went to where he should be. During the way over he was still ramting and raving.
    I said to my son this is what Millwallery is and he was just gobsmacked.
    Got to the game just.
    Hope it was the game we beat them 1 0
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

Talking about this earlier, spending all day on the boats playing run outs, racing the boat back by using the foot tunnel and the lift or occasionally going to the swing park. Got a bit much when I hit 40 as the knees had gone. ;)

You have brought some memories back there Ray, I lived 5 minutes up the road from the ferry and it was always a favourite for run outs. How the hell did we used to find each other.

I play hide and seek with my grandkids and they give up after 2 minutes if they can’t find me in a house, how would they cope with a big portion of South and East London
    I've been researching my background since my mothers death and I believe I used to play on the woolwich ferry because it was sheltered from the weather and I was away from my home until bedtime, it was my safe place as a 9/10 year old and friends used to meet me there. I know I slept on one of the boats that is moored on the right by the ramps if they are the same boats, I remember getting caught by a night watchman and he made me a hot drink and handed me over to police/social services in the morning. I went to woolwich magistrates court as I wouldn't give them my name as I didn't want them to send me home, they sent me to a young offenders hostel because I had no fixed abode. I remember being so happy and having the best sleep in a proper bed for a couple of years. At 13 I ran away again in those days the boat didn't count people on and off I used to just curl up and go to sleep on the boat the engines almost humming me to sleep. Only later did I realise I was subject to abuse by a step father, I would tell my friends to meet on the boat rather at the house I lived, I generally don't remember any of my friends names as a 9/10 year old as I'd like to fill in some of my childhood blanks in my memory. But those boats gave me some fun in some dark times.
    Did you live in Woolwich Ray?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

I genuinely don't remember those boats only the ones we have now. When were they taken out of service?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

I've been researching my background since my mothers death and I believe I used to play on the woolwich ferry because it was sheltered from the weather and I was away from my home until bedtime, it was my safe place as a 9/10 year old and friends used to meet me there. I know I slept on one of the boats that is moored on the right by the ramps if they are the same boats, I remember getting caught by a night watchman and he made me a hot drink and handed me over to police/social services in the morning. I went to woolwich magistrates court as I wouldn't give them my name as I didn't want them to send me home, they sent me to a young offenders hostel because I had no fixed abode. I remember being so happy and having the best sleep in a proper bed for a couple of years. At 13 I ran away again in those days the boat didn't count people on and off I used to just curl up and go to sleep on the boat the engines almost humming me to sleep. Only later did I realise I was subject to abuse by a step father, I would tell my friends to meet on the boat rather at the house I lived, I generally don't remember any of my friends names as a 9/10 year old as I'd like to fill in some of my childhood blanks in my memory. But those boats gave me some fun in some dark times.
    @TCE a very powerful story mate!! Its funny how old photos evoke so many different happy/sad memories. Mine, as stated, were happy ones where we ended up at the Tudor Barn in Well Hall for lunch, then back to my Nans house in Phineas Pett Rd (top of Well Hall Rd) just off Cobbett Rd (near the Stephen Lawrence bust stop). I used to love being with them once a week. Yet for @TCE it evoked a different type of memory altogether. It made me think were we on the ferry at the same time, yet our paths never crossed until the best part of 50 years later?
  • Options

iainment said:

In my working life as a BT engineer I’d generally worked in the City or Docklands areas. Occasionally I’d be required to work as far east as Albert Dock. On one such occasion I decided to try the ferry en route home instead of the usual Blackwall Tunnel.

As I boarded I thought that column one was full and the deckhand had waved me to the front of column 2. This in fact turned out to be incorrect, and the deckhand chased me to the front of the boat. Simultaneously, the Captain took to his loud hailer and announced to the entire vessel that there would now be a delay due to BT thinking that they could just push in at the front and park where they wanted. I was directed to reverse the entire length of the boat to join the back of the queue.

This humiliation went on for the entire time I was reversing. In fact it felt like I was reversing the length of the Queen Mary rather than the Woolwich bloody ferry. Even when parked (as directed) at the rear of the boat, the Captain continued to point out the reason for the delay, so that as new vehicles boarded the occupants could look over and hate me.

Needless to say that was the last time I used the ferry, thank god for the Blackwall Tunnel.

I had a similar story. We were playing Millwall at Upton Park.
    Big flash motor roars on and goes to the front of an empty lane. Had Millwall stickers and a flag.
    The crew tell the driver to go to where he should be. At the back.
    He responds by screaming and shouting about how he's English and no one tells him what to do.
    Over the tannoy the skippers says if he doesn't move the ferry won't move and if necessary the police will be called to take him off.
    Much shouting, swearing and posturing ensued.
    I was worried we wouldn't make the match, we were bussing it.
    Eventually he gave in and went to where he should be. During the way over he was still ramting and raving.
    I said to my son this is what Millwallery is and he was just gobsmacked.
    Got to the game just.
    Hope it was the game we beat them 1 0
    I think it was.
  • Options
    Used to be something you could do for free riding the ferry back in the sixties.

A neighbour of my grandparents was one of the captains.