Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stephen Berghuis greatest (worst) ever dive

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45627005

I haven’t seen a formal response from him but this is totally ridiculous!

People pushing for a lengthy ban for him - and hopefully the authorities grow some and throw the book at him.

It’s blown into such a big joke that he is gonna have to say something!

Comments

• He raised his hand, straight red...
  • This is the indefensible, embarrassing issue that football has, when fans of other sports criticise it.
  • Haymaker, not surprised he went down.

Was an ambulance called?
  • Berghuis is a lowlife cheat, nothing more. He'll think nothing of any suspension or fine he might get from the game's "authorities", compared to the concerted kicking he's gonna get from every opponent that comes within leg's reach of him for the rest of the season, and he'll deserve every bruise he gets. I'd like to think he'll get plenty in training from his colleagues too. He should be black'n'blue for months.
  • Are these footballers so stupid to not realise there are cameras that cover everything that happens on/off the pitch?
  • Solidgone said:

Are these footballers so stupid to not realise there are cameras that cover everything that happens on/off the pitch?

Cameras don't stop red cards (at least, until VAR is used everywhere)
  • Football needs to have some sort of punishment for this type of playacting. Players can now be retrospectively be punished for a bad foul, with the TV cameras all around surely players should be retrospectively punished for this sort of behaviour as well. Does FIFA need to change the law?

Imagine if Rivaldo had got a ban during the World Cup for his playacting? Or Bilic missed the WC final for what he did to get Blanc sent off, that would send a message out to the world of football.
  • Sponsored links:

• His own fans at Feyenoord will not take too kindly to this either, I’m sure of that.
  • Cheating scum, everything that is wrong in today's game.
  • Football needs to have some sort of punishment for this type of playacting. Players can now be retrospectively be punished for a bad foul, with the TV cameras all around surely players should be retrospectively punished for this sort of behaviour as well. Does FIFA need to change the law?

Imagine if Rivaldo had got a ban during the World Cup for his playacting? Or Bilic missed the WC final for what he did to get Blanc sent off, that would send a message out to the world of football.

I thought the FA already introduced this? Niasse got done for a dive at Palace last season.

Not sure how well it's policed though, as clearly not every player who dives gets punished for it.

I thought the FA already introduced this? Niasse got done for a dive at Palace last season.

Not sure how well it's policed though, as clearly not every player who dives gets punished for it.
    Think its up to the League though rather than it being a FIFA or UEFA rule... i.e. the FA adapted it in our Leagues after it was successful the year before in Scotland
  • This is a strong Fallon d'Floor 2018 nominee.

Deyverson for Palmeiras has a strong showing in the "pause and repeat" niche of diving though: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/9idp0s/fallon_dfloor_2018_nominee_deyverson_palmeiras/
  • Makes you wonder how they get on in the checkout queue at supermarket or a cashpoint.
  • 12 month ban...end of story. Disgraceful.

The FA crack down is possibly more about players diving to get penalties, rather than players pretending to be hurt to get someone sent off.

And players can only get punished retrospectively if a penalty is actually awarded. If someone dives, and nothing is awarded, there can be no further action.
  • Sponsored links:

• He ain't no Stuart Pearce, that's for sure.