Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer on the fans

“Our fans were outstanding again today from the first minute until the end. I know I keep saying it but it makes a difference, we scored another late goal but we are this season, we just keep going and going and that’s a credit to the fans and the lads. They just keep going until the end.

“You’re (the fans) pushing and pushing and geeing them (the players) on and they (the players) just keep going and going. That will always happen. We have a great bunch of lads in there and the fans can play a massive part this season and they are definitely doing that so far.

“All fans want, and I said this to the lads, is for you to give 100 per cent as a player. You give 100 per cent effort, then anything else after that is a bonus. So if they see Karlan running around closing down, fighting to hold the ball up, that’s all I ask but then if you score that’s a bonus. That’s why they are cheering the side on like they are. They know that they are all giving the fans 100 per cent every time they step onto that pitch. It’s not rocket science, there is no special cure, it’s just hard work and that’s what I demand from them. They have to give me that at least.

“The fans have been like that from day one with me. We lost against Peterborough and they still clapped then like they did today because they know what they are giving. You give them 100 per cent that’s all they ask and that’s definitely what the lads are giving.”

Comments

• I can handle losing or drawing if the players have done well and have shown effort, the games against MK Dons (Keith Palmer tribute) and Portsmouth (Back to the Valley games) are signs where that didnt happen so I wasnt happy.

Hell had Karlan not gotten the winner on Saturday I was preparing to write on the post match comments that it was one of the best Charlton performances that I seen in recent years with us only managing to get a draw

100 per cent correct! Some of the passage of play on Saturday was fantastic, Argyle were often chasing shadows. Sooner or later someone is going to get an almighty thumping from us.

• yep ... you want a team that try's - winning is a bonus! I think we have that at the moment and despite all the background stuff and really unfortunate injuries Lee has got the passion back. Scoring goals again, and good ones too!!
  • Yes, the atmosphere was good on Saturday. The one game where it was really flat both on and off the pitch was the Fleetwood one.
  • Hmmmm, boycotting this lot would really test my patience.

This type of affinity with the fans and a team doesn't come along too often.
  • edited September 2018
    Bowyer is right, I think the atmosphere at away games has also been fantastic this year, in fact a carry on from the tail end of last season.

On field at least it is hard not to be optimistic watching Charlton at the moment, home or away, cant wait for Saturday and Tuesday, who would have imagined Scunthorpe being a place to look forward too!
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Bowyer is right, I think the atmosphere at away games has also been fantastic this year, in fact a carry on from the tail end of last season.

On field at least it is hard not to be optimistic watching Charlton at the moment, home or away, cant wait for Saturday and Tuesday, who would have imagined Scunthorpe being a place to look forward too!

Steady on, I wouldn’t quite go that far!
  • Imagine how good they'd be if they gave 110%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bowyer gets it.
    This is all I ask of a player in a CAFC shirt.
    Remember Bryan Hughes - not the best player in the world, but 100% effort every time.
  • Bowyer gets it.
    This is all I ask of a player in a CAFC shirt.
    Remember Bryan Hughes - not the best player in the world, but 100% effort every time.

Agreed, Garry Nelson and Keith Jones very much the same, Phil.
  • If at the end of a game, every player is absolutely shattered from playing their nuts off and we concede late... I'll assume we've taken up the Ben Reeves fitness regime.

The fact is, work harder than your opponent for the full game and your fans will be pleased... Don't just give the perception of working hard.
  • edited September 2018

Imagine how good they'd be if they gave 110%.

If they spread out and play with a smile on their face then Charlton will win the World Cup in Qatar.