Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bodyguard

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018

British TV series have a very good reputation here in China and many people consider them as more thought-provoking and better-made than American ones.

I used to only watch American shows but in recent years I've watched a few old and new British ones and thought they were indeed better than a lot of the "fast food" like American series I watched. War and Peace, Line of Duty, McMafia, State of Play, Our Friends in the North are among the best. Some of the lesser-known series/mini-series like Little Boy Blue and Three Girls are also very good.

Bodyguard isn't the greatest I've watched but definitely one of the most entertaining. I loved 24 but still got bored after five seasons. There are not many fast-paced well-made series like it these days. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions because me and my parents absolutely love this kind of series. But good ones are so hard to come by.

out of interest what's Chinese TV like? any decent dramas? comedies?
    Sorry but I don't watch Chinese TV series. In fact I only watch TV here for domestic news programmes. I started to watch American series (and films) at a very early age and I've been used to THAT level of quality for years. The acting, script and almost everything in a Chinese series is poor compared to American and British TV. You'd be wasting your time. :wink:
    thanks, though I cant believe that the Chinese couldn't put together a better show than say, Mrs Browns Boys.
  • Options
    Carter said:

British TV series have a very good reputation here in China and many people consider them as more thought-provoking and better-made than American ones.

I used to only watch American shows but in recent years I've watched a few old and new British ones and thought they were indeed better than a lot of the "fast food" like American series I watched. War and Peace, Line of Duty, McMafia, State of Play, Our Friends in the North are among the best. Some of the lesser-known series/mini-series like Little Boy Blue and Three Girls are also very good.

Bodyguard isn't the greatest I've watched but definitely one of the most entertaining. I loved 24 but still got bored after five seasons. There are not many fast-paced well-made series like it these days. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions because me and my parents absolutely love this kind of series. But good ones are so hard to come by.

Sorry but I don't watch Chinese TV series. In fact I only watch TV here for domestic news programmes. I started to watch American series (and films) at a very early age and I've been used to THAT level of quality for years. The acting, script and almost everything in a Chinese series is poor compared to American and British TV. You'd be wasting your time. :wink:
    I still remember crouching tiger hidden Dragon being released and thinking a wave of really big budget, ground breaking Chinese films were about to make their way over here and delight me. Sadly while there have been some decent films from the far East for whatever reason we seem to miss out on them.
    I'm not sure if you know about censorship here. I can't go deep into this particular subject but I think great films make you think and unfortunately film-makers here just tend to work on light-hearted material, which is understandable. Imagine making a film with anything slightly sensitive in it and then it's not allowed to be released. All that money would be wasted. So that's sort of the reality here.
  • Options

Carter said:

I still remember crouching tiger hidden Dragon being released and thinking a wave of really big budget, ground breaking Chinese films were about to make their way over here and delight me. Sadly while there have been some decent films from the far East for whatever reason we seem to miss out on them.
    I'm not sure if you know about censorship here. I can't go deep into this particular subject but I think great films make you think and unfortunately film-makers here just tend to work on light-hearted material, which is understandable. Imagine making a film with anything slightly sensitive in it and then it's not allowed to be released. All that money would be wasted. So that's sort of the reality here.
    It's a miracle that you can even post on CL!
  • Options

Carter said:

Well, I have to admit I'm being very careful these days. All I talk about on here is football and entertainment...
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @JessieAddick Romance of the three kingdoms...

That was a chinese TV series of undeniable low budget, but such a quality story...

Also found in the Dynasty Warriors video games and some of it seems to be true Chinese history.

Zhang Fei, Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhao Yun, Ma Chao etc were all likeable characters.

Red Cliff was a very decent big budget movie, depicting the battle of Chi Bi I think it was.
  • Options

In the same way 1.5 million buy the Sun every day is proof of its quality, compared to the 135,000 who read the Guardian.

well the figures for Bodyguard are unusual in two ways:

- they are apparently the highest figure for a drama in 10 years, and the final episode got the highest ratings, which belies the narrative here of discerning people giving it a try and giving up.

- it was particularly high on people watching live, thus showing that the interminable rise of the box set bingeing and time shift can be challenged - if the drama is compelling enough.

It got me, and I am normally wary of BBC1 drama, I usually go for stuff on BBC2 or BBC4. I enjoyed it far more than McMafia even though the topic of the latter was right up my street.

The high level of live viewing can perhaps be explained by a couple of things.

1) It got a lot of hype and mentions elsewhere in media (social and traditional) and became a bit of a talked about thing. This may sound stupid, but I'd seen it on the iPlayer recommended list but dismissed it. I only decided to give it a go when I heard it get mentioned on both the News Quiz and Mock the Week in the same week (both BBC shows, so perhaps clever marketing on their part). I think up to Episode 4 was available on iPlayer at that time. It seemed like one of those things everyone else was watching and sometimes I like to watch them as they become cultural references, so Mrs Exiled and I caught up over the next couple of weeks via iPlayer.

2) Because it became 'talked about' and because it was on on a Sunday evening, I suspect lots of people watched live because they didn't want to be left out of the conversations at work on Monday and wouldn't have to worry about avoiding spoilers on Twitter and Facebook etc.

I gather it's going to be available pretty much everywhere on Netflix in a few weeks' time, so it'll be interesting to see how it fairs on there.
    We are both viewing from abroad, I believe. Your point 2 is commonly referred to as the "watercooler moment" (or watercooler something, anyway) whereby people gather around the thing in the office and discuss the TV they all likely watched the previous evening. It is said that in the UK, such phenomenon has all but disappeared due to the box set/timeswitch trends. So Bodyguard was being lauded for showing that Watercooler moments are still possible. The reports seemed to suggest that neither McMafia nor The Night Manager managed that level of watercooler, despite being in exactly that spot (BBC1, Sunday 21.00). If that is true, that is the best evidence that it was really well received (and let's not forget that on BBC1 there is a remit, a requirement to deliver 'ratings', which means appealing to a very wide audience).

• Options
    edited September 2018

Carter said:

Especially in light of F*n B!*gb!ng from the X-MEN films not being seen for months.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

What was the deal with the security service guys, were they just a red herring?

In the same way 1.5 million buy the Sun every day is proof of its quality, compared to the 135,000 who read the Guardian.

- they are apparently the highest figure for a drama in 10 years, and the final episode got the highest ratings, which belies the narrative here of discerning people giving it a try and giving up.

- it was particularly high on people watching live, thus showing that the interminable rise of the box set bingeing and time shift can be challenged - if the drama is compelling enough.

It got me, and I am normally wary of BBC1 drama, I usually go for stuff on BBC2 or BBC4. I enjoyed it far more than McMafia even though the topic of the latter was right up my street.

1) It got a lot of hype and mentions elsewhere in media (social and traditional) and became a bit of a talked about thing. This may sound stupid, but I'd seen it on the iPlayer recommended list but dismissed it. I only decided to give it a go when I heard it get mentioned on both the News Quiz and Mock the Week in the same week (both BBC shows, so perhaps clever marketing on their part). I think up to Episode 4 was available on iPlayer at that time. It seemed like one of those things everyone else was watching and sometimes I like to watch them as they become cultural references, so Mrs Exiled and I caught up over the next couple of weeks via iPlayer.

2) Because it became 'talked about' and because it was on on a Sunday evening, I suspect lots of people watched live because they didn't want to be left out of the conversations at work on Monday and wouldn't have to worry about avoiding spoilers on Twitter and Facebook etc.

I gather it's going to be available pretty much everywhere on Netflix in a few weeks' time, so it'll be interesting to see how it fairs on there.
    We are both viewing from abroad, I believe. Your point 2 is commonly referred to as the "watercooler moment" (or watercooler something, anyway) whereby people gather around the thing in the office and discuss the TV they all likely watched the previous evening. It is said that in the UK, such phenomenon has all but disappeared due to the box set/timeswitch trends. So Bodyguard was being lauded for showing that Watercooler moments are still possible. The reports seemed to suggest that neither McMafia nor The Night Manager managed that level of watercooler, despite being in exactly that spot (BBC1, Sunday 21.00). If that is true, that is the best evidence that it was really well received (and let's not forget that on BBC1 there is a remit, a requirement to deliver 'ratings', which means appealing to a very wide audience).

Being advertised in nearly every publication and newspaper and trailed over the BBC on Tv And Radio constantly helps too . It was no where near as good as McMafia or The Night Manager in my opinion.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

That was a chinese TV series of undeniable low budget, but such a quality story...

Also found in the Dynasty Warriors video games and some of it seems to be true Chinese history.

Zhang Fei, Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhao Yun, Ma Chao etc were all likeable characters.

Red Cliff was a very decent big budget movie, depicting the battle of Chi Bi I think it was.

That was one of my favourite Chinese TV series in the 90's! I'm surprised you have watched it. It is very old!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Carter said:

Especially in light of F*n B!*gb!ng from the X-MEN films not being seen for months.
    That spelling made me laugh. Clever :joy:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

That was one of my favourite Chinese TV series in the 90's! I'm surprised you have watched it. It is very old!
    I have it on DVD! Bought it on eBay back in the late 2000's!, Fortunately it has subtitles!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

I have it on DVD! Bought it on eBay back in the late 2000's!, Fortunately it has subtitles!
    You must have been very interested in Chinese history and culture to have bought it on DVD I think. Thumbs up.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Being advertised in nearly every publication and newspaper and trailed over the BBC on Tv And Radio constantly helps too . It was no where near as good as McMafia or The Night Manager in my opinion.
    But both those got the same pre-publicity as Bodyguard, possibly more in the case of McMafia.

• Options

se9addick said:

But both those got the same pre-publicity as Bodyguard, possibly more in the case of McMafia.

Perhaps your right . It just seem like The Bodyguard got more to me . Disproportionate to the quality of it. ( if that makes sense !)
  • Options
    Just watched it and am left with one question.

Why were Aiken, Ali and Craddick only charged with "the conspiracy to murder" the home secretary and not of the actual murder?
  • Options

Carter said:

Well, I have to admit I'm being very careful these days. All I talk about on here is football and entertainment...
    Bloody moderators.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Why were Aiken, Ali and Craddick only charged with "the conspiracy to murder" the home secretary and not of the actual murder?

An interesting question. Possibly because there might be a problem with "joint enterprise"? On the basis that only one person could "pull the trigger" the others might walk, maybe? Conspiracy, is what's known as an inchoate offence. in that it "grabs" those involved in the planning even if they later opt out or change their mind.

In addition "only charged" doesn't really do the count on the indictment the justice it deserves as it still carries a maximum life sentence. BUT and it's a big but in the context of the story it would not be usual to bring just conspiracy charges unless the enterprise had failed. (Is the Home Secretary still alive then? Was that a clue?) The CPS guidelines indicate that conspiracy should sit upon an indictment alongside a straightforward murder charge. (I suspect possibly in the alternative, which gives the prosecution the opportunity of having their cake and eating it.)

BTW, there used to be (still is?) an offence of soliciting to murder. It was (is?) used in situations where, for example, a hitman had been hired.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Dazzler21 said:

An interesting question. Possibly because there might be a problem with "joint enterprise"? On the basis that only one person could "pull the trigger" the others might walk, maybe? Conspiracy, is what's known as an inchoate offence. in that it "grabs" those involved in the planning even if they later opt out or change their mind.

In addition "only charged" doesn't really do the count on the indictment the justice it deserves as it still carries a maximum life sentence. BUT and it's a big but in the context of the story it would not be usual to bring just conspiracy charges unless the enterprise had failed. (Is the Home Secretary still alive then? Was that a clue?) The CPS guidelines indicate that conspiracy should sit upon an indictment alongside a straightforward murder charge. (I suspect possibly in the alternative, which gives the prosecution the opportunity of having their cake and eating it.)

BTW, there used to be (still is?) an offence of soliciting to murder. It was (is?) used in situations where, for example, a hitman had been hired.
    FFS!!! Have you not heard of artistic licence. These programs are made to entertain people not for amateur lawyers to pull apart.
  • Options
    That's my thoughts, I'd watch a documentary if I was that fussed about technical accuracy
  • Options
    Riviera said:

cafcfan said:

Dazzler21 said:

FFS!!! Have you not heard of artistic licence. These programs are made to entertain people not for amateur lawyers to pull apart.
    For fuck's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!! (With even more exclamation marks because they assist so much.) Back at you. A question was asked and I endeavoured to answer it. Get a grip. It's got nothing to do with "artistic licence". At all.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mrkinski said:

Saw an interview last night where Jed Mercurio said they were thinking about continuing for another 2 to 3 seasons. Filming middle of next year.

Why doesn’t he just think of a different idea?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Because she's not dead
  • Options
    just finished watching, thought it was great, except the last 10-15 mins that felt like a scooby doo ending "AHA! It was me all along, and this is how i did it". Just lazy writing in what was an extremely tense final episode.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Dazzler21 said:

Because she's not dead
    This is why I had the question.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Dazzler21 said:

Thanks for the in depth answer. As I said I think it's because she's not dead. Guess we'll get the opportunity to decide if no further season is written.
  • Options
    So we now have conspiracy theories about TV dramas? Oh come on folks!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

?

This happens a lot in the shows. Bit weird to get so defensive over as fairly common occurrence in TV these days...

Need I remind you about two famous TV drama instances of a character not being dead? At least not for good.

Dirty Den - EastEnders
    Jon Snow - A Game of Thrones

I am sure there have been many more lower profile ones, but I remember these two for different reasons.

EastEnders is shite, but it hadn't been done before on such a program.

Thrones is fantastic and it was somewhat expected but not doing it could have destroyed the TV show.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    ^^^^^^^
    and who shot JR (many years ago)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Riviera said:

?

This happens a lot in the shows. Bit weird to get so defensive over as fairly common occurrence in TV these days...

Need I remind you about two famous TV drama instances of a character not being dead? At least not for good.

Dirty Den - EastEnders
    Jon Snow - A Game of Thrones

I am sure there have been many more lower profile ones, but I remember these two for different reasons.

EastEnders is shite, but it hadn't been done before on such a program.

Thrones is fantastic and it was somewhat expected but not doing it could have destroyed the TV show.
    EastEnders is a soap and game of thrones is a fantasy that already had precedent of characters coming back from the dead under specific circumstances. In fact in the book there’s one or two other killed of characters that make a return, specifically lady stoneheart
  • Options
    My bet is Julia will come back as Alex Drake in a series of repeats of Ashes To Ashes.

Not sure whether David Budd is quite Gene Hunt though.