Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CHARLTON 2 PLYMOUTH 1 - 22/09/18 - POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• What's all this don't change a winning team.
    With the midfielders we've got use them all,
    No need for them to be playing 90 mins a game week in week out.
  • Wow, I stopped at 85min. Harvest has begun, had a 11 hour day, thought it ended 1-1. So very happy to see this upon getting home!
  • Am I delusional, or have we gained more table points in late time so far this season than we have given away? I am not use to that.
  • Anyone who thinks Reeves was anything other than excellent today was either only pretending to be there or would simply think he was shit regardless of what he does. I have been his absolutely biggest critic and have regarded him until now as the biggest waste of space ever. But neither I nor anyone else can reasonably downplay his contribution to the last two home games. If he keeps this up he could be POTY. On past performance he will break sometime soon so don’t hold your breath but credit where it’s due please folks.

This exactly.

I thought he was excellent yesterday and was quick to cover across to Solly when a few moments before he was in centre midfield. Playing as the two in a diamond is hard work so it is no surprise he and Aribo tired, but my goodness he was fantastic, so well done Reeves.

On a side note about this, one particular players family sitting behind me yesterday couldn’t have slated Reeves or the team off anymore. At one point saying, “If X wasn’t in the squad, there’s no way I’d come and watch this shit, X should be playing in front of this number 12” and the amount of times they didn’t know who a player was, I felt quite embarrassed for this particular player.
    Sounds similar to his quotes at the end of last season where he told his players not to do a lap of honour at their last home game because they would be doing that in the play-offs. Seems like a proper arrogant tosser who is under pressure being bottom of the league but makes excuses when we clearly deserved to win yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone get the half time jackpot ticket draw numbers ?
  • Stucafc said:

Anyone get the half time jackpot ticket draw numbers ?

Prize Winning Jackpot No Name Address
    1st £353.00 1294 Not claimed As of 17.30 – 22.09.18
    2nd £100.00 0740 G Wilson Kent
  • Excellent game of football,in which Plymouth played their part,they are surely in a false position and will soon climb the table,they had great support as well.This Charlton team is the nearest we have had to the Johnny Robinson,Stevie Brown days.every player playing for the shirt,keeping going when luck is a little bit against you.Come on guys get back to the valley,forget RD he is not on the pitch.Support yesterday was fantastic,another 2000 would make this place a fortress.
  • Totally agreed think&thin and viewfinder the team is the best in years, the team spirit fantastically good, we are going up!

Those boycotting (understood why) but please think again, Bow and Jacko have something very special going on, Feck Douchebag it’s not about him!

Bow, Jacko, Gallen have “something created out of nothing”, massive credit to them! this is a strong squad!
  • Thought it was going to be one of those days, the Plymouth side constantly time wasting wankers - think they may have injuries but we pummelled them yesterday, in a way it was a sweeter win, But we do have to put games to bed, taylor fantastic, roll on Luton next Saturday where I would take a point if offered.
  • I think I need to go to the games, I can't stand the tension of reading the match thread.

Not knocking the match thread, of course. As ever, thanks to the contributors.

TBF I've taken the same reasoning and was at the game, and it was quite tense there as we had two second half occasions where it would have been easier for the ball to go in the net than not and it didn't
  • Plymouth won't be in the bottom 4 for long if they put in performances like that most Saturdays. Thought we were really good and a lot of what I thought has already been said (posting after reading). It's great to see the team spirit here. And reading Bow's post match comments, and hearing him on Radio London in the car, the word I'd use to describe him is "classy".
    Given his history and bad boy image, the fishing lake business must have really helped him calm down; I couldn't have imagined thinking this even a few months ago, but he's growing into the job in all its aspects and credit to him for that. We as a team/club are a lot stronger because he's got the playing side covered and I think we really are on our way back under his leadership.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some unfiltered thoughts from my first game of the season. We started brightly but it was worrying how many times we were cut wide open by the bottom team in the division. The difference between the teams was JoBo(™) who's box to box play was eye catching (we'd be horribly one dimensional without him) but we lack anyone in midfield who can offer much protection to the back 4 (it will cost us this season). The strikers were a mixed bag with KAG making some baffling decisions/mistakes (squaring to non existent support when clean through?) but he did score the tap ins and Taylor who offered enough positives to balance out the penalty miss. Not sure what Ward brings to the team but it was great to see Igor back on the pitch. An enjoyable afternoon but we need to improve if we're going to continue our present form.
  • The question
    With Taylor on 4 yellows what game should he take his next yellow
  • clb74 said:

The question

Get booked at Scunthorpe to miss Coventry
  • clb74 said:

The question

No! Coventry will be my last game before we move to Cornwall so I want to see the best possible team.

• Davo55 said:

Also watched on iFollow.

Some great, slick passing and interplay especially in the first half. Deserved the win although Plymouth looked anything but a team that is bottom of the league. Tough tackling, high energy and quite skilful going forward. Carey in particular is a very good player and I would love us to go in for him if possible - he could do well in the Championship even, which is where I hope we'll be (Roland free) next season.

I don't get the bitching about Naby Sarr on the match thread. He has cut out the silly mistakes, gave a dependable defensive display and passes the ball out of defence better than any of our other defenders. Time to cut him some slack.

Aribo was especially good in the first half but he tired badly in the second and was nowhere near as effective. I thought Lapslie might have come on to replace him to give some energy to the midfield, but you can never argue too much with four wins on the bounce.

Agree about Sarr. Was my first game of the season and the first time I had seen him play a full 90 minutes. Although I had seen comments that he is prone to mistakes, I only recall one today in the first half where he dived in for tackle he was never going to make near the centre circle and Plymouth broke away. On the plus side I thought his passing was excellent and if he gets a decent run of games in Bauer's absence in a team that is doing well, it could give him a lot of confidence.

More than just that one mistake. Lost possession again in a similar position a few minutes later and gave the ball away just outside the box twice with poor clearances that went to a Plymouth player.

He did some good stuff too, when forwards give him space he can pick out some good passes, he was more aggressive and should have had a penalty but he needs to cut out those sort of mistakes.
  • Do yellow cards get wiped at some point? Not that I think Taylor can control himself for too many games!
  • clb74 said:

The question

No! Coventry will be my last game before we move to Cornwall so I want to see the best possible team.

Just put the Cornwall move off till Taylor's banned
  • edited September 2018
    Interestingly, we have by far the most yellow cards in the league, 27 from 9 games. In comparison, Coventry have the least with only 6! Do they not tackle or something?!

Bowyer has installed a fight amongst us but we are certainly not a dirty team. Taylor for example has 4 yellows and is one away from suspension but I would say most of them have been from frustration when he has been fouled. He also got booked for apparently going into the crowd away at Southend.

We have Pratley on 4, Sarr on 3, and Page on 3.

Got to be careful about these suspensions possibly building up.
  • Thought at times we looked very very good with not very passing and a real rhyme winning the midfield battle which allowed us to play. Reeves best game in a charlton shirt.

I said at the time with this team you always feel we will score so when we went one down I did not panic or feel the game was gone as I might of done
    Sat few seasons.