Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ronaldo's red card.

Comments

• Options

Greenie said:

One of the best players ever
    Never a red, the ref now has a trophy and story to tell.
    I was never a fan of Ronaldo but having taken time to read a few things about his work outside of football, I have nothing but admiration for the man, IMO he is top draw.
    Hopefully the red will be recinded.

The blokes a supreme athlete, makes incredible amounts of money for good causes and has given us some of the best footballing performances we have ever seen.

And that’s not even a warning let alone a red.

Addickted said:

Redrobo said:

Greenie said:

I was never a fan of Ronaldo but having taken time to read a few things about his work outside of football, I have nothing but admiration for the man, IMO he is top draw.

On what grounds do you think it will be rescinded?
    If that was what he was sent off for, then of course it will be rescinded.
    Ha, ha.
    Hope he breaks his leg tomorrow, then no need for a further enquiry.
    The bloke is a slippery tosser, who has finally got some justice served up.
    Oh, I wont be able to go to Old Trafford and lord it up, tough you cheating c***.
    Classy.
  • Options
    The red card cannot be overturned in Champions League.
    But UEFA can decide on the length of the ban

Its an automatic 1 game suspension (so he will miss the Young Boys game)
    They can keep it at 1 game or increase it to either 2 or 3.
    Any increase and he will miss either the first, or both United games.
  • Options
    Might not help that the incident started a small scuffle amongst the players - Lapslie got a yellow card for being involved in the scuffle against Southend, Ronaldo probably got a yellow in the ref's eyes for the tap on the head and then a second yellow for the incident starting the aftermath
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Addickted said:

Redrobo said:

Greenie said:

Really? Such faith. His actions caused a brawl. His messing up of the other players hair is not so different from pushing someone in the face so unless their FA decide they want to finely tune the laws of the game to cover different types of shoving another players head it will probably stand. I think a red was over the top and it maybe reduced to a yellow, but would be amazed if it were rescinded.

How good a player, or being a top chap, should not come into it.
    It was the reaction of the defender which started the brawl. He shot up and aggressively went to Ronaldo, as if Ronaldo had hit him hard, and of course his team mates joined in.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

@PeterGage what's the letter of the law? Was the ref right?

For me, it was nothing (assuming the incident shown on Twitter is the one he was sent off for). Just for clarification, when deciding on the course of action to be taken, the referee must not take into account the reaction of opponents to the incident.

Another interesting point, although not relative to this incident, is the difference between two similar sending-off categories, namely " Violent Conduct" and "Serious Foul Play". The former is an incident whereby the ball is not part of the offence, such as punching, headbutting etc: the latter involves the ball, such as an over- the-top tackle
  • Options
    Nobody can say that was a red card. The only thing Ronaldo did wrong was go anywhere near him which admittedly was unnecessary. But a red? If we are going to start sending players off for that we are going to be seeing 5 a side football before long.

Ronaldo does a lot of work off the field and is one of the greatest players of all time. He's not the best bloke in the world but I am surprised at the amount of hate towards him.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Chizz said:

@PeterGage what's the letter of the law? Was the ref right?

Just for clarification, when deciding on the course of action to be taken, the referee must not take into account the reaction of opponents to the incident.

Is that actually possible though? Refs are, after all, only human.
  • Options

Greenie said:

The blokes a supreme athlete, makes incredible amounts of money for good causes and has given us some of the best footballing performances we have ever seen.

Addickted said:

Redrobo said:

Greenie said:

Ha, ha.
    Hope he breaks his leg tomorrow, then no need for a further enquiry.
    The bloke is a slippery tosser, who has finally got some justice served up.
    Oh, I wont be able to go to Old Trafford and lord it up, tough you cheating c***.
    Stay classy.
  • Options
    Don't think he trying to pull his hair but to me it looks like he is trying to dig his nails in! No need for it and deserves a red!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Graham Stuart made him famous. ;)
  • Options
    It's a very soft red card, but if it was the other way around, Ronaldo would have wanted the player sent off (and Ronaldo would likely have stayed down too).

You cant have it both ways. Zaha is finding that out at the moment too in the premier league.

• Options

It's a very soft red card, but if it was the other way around, Ronaldo would have wanted the player sent off (and Ronaldo would likely have stayed down too).

You cant have it both ways. Zaha is finding that out at the moment too in the premier league.

So you're justifying the red card by imagining what Ronaldo would have done, then telling Ronaldo to accept it because you've imagined what he would have done?

Seems fair.
  • Options
    I will never forgive him for the sending off of Rooney.
    He is not my idea of a true sportsman, so sorry if i upset some of you.
    What he is, is a typical example of what a cheating modern day footballer is.
  • Options
    I think people should review the full footage posted at 9.23, which shows what he did/didn't do, before touching his head.
  • Options

This Rooney?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/wayne-rooney-dive-manchester-united-striker-did-simulate-for-fa-cup-penalty-against-preston-10051987.html

http://footballburp.com/lists/top-10-wayne-rooney-dives/

• Options
    Anyone who seriously thinks that's a red card should consider a new sport because football isn't for you. Get yourself into ballet or knitting.
  • Options

This Rooney?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/wayne-rooney-dive-manchester-united-striker-did-simulate-for-fa-cup-penalty-against-preston-10051987.html

http://footballburp.com/lists/top-10-wayne-rooney-dives/

No, the one who plays up front for Salford.
  • Options

Rooney got himself sent off. He was unfit and frustrated, and when someone needled him a little bit, he stamped on a pair of testicles. At the time I convinced myself you couldn't prove a damn thing, that he was desperately unlucky to be sent off. But that was wishful, biased thinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Rooney got himself sent off. He was unfit and frustrated, and when someone needled him a little bit, he stamped on a pair of testicles. At the time I convinced myself you couldn't prove a damn thing, that he was desperately unlucky to be sent off. But that was wishful, biased thinking.
    It was the wink after that everyone remembers, it clouds people's judgement, they forget what actually happened and decide that because Ronaldo winks at the bench later he's got him sent off for nothing, when in reality it was always a sending off
  • Options

Might not help that the incident started a small scuffle amongst the players - Lapslie got a yellow card for being involved in the scuffle

Well, that escalated quickly.
  • Options
    If that was a red card the Juventus player who spat in an opponents mouth the other day should be put in an electric chair and then put in front of a firing squad.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Absolutely agree.

Think about it - people say Lewis Hamilton is an arrogant twat and rude etc etc but that's because he is one of the best ever at his job so it's hard not to have those traits - it's what defines him. And that's in a relatively niche sport when not many people get involved

Then look at CRonaldo. Playing the sport that billions of people play and have played and yet he is one of the best ever at it. He's going to come across as arrogant etc but the fact is - he's actually a decent bloke and his off the pitch stuff is phenomenal. He is hugely generous with time and money and I would absolutely love to meet him one day and just have a beer and a chat. He must be a fascinating character and, to be fair to him, he's an incredible shape and has looked after himself well.
  • Options
    When the other player turned and confronted Ronaldo he seemed to shit himself. Classic.
  • Options
    No other player on that pitch would have been sent off if they’d been the “perp” of that “incident”. Fact.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Tbh who cares don’t you remember his winking after getting Rooney sent off cunt

It’s called karma
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Greenie said:

Absolutely agree.

Think about it - people say Lewis Hamilton is an arrogant twat and rude etc etc but that's because he is one of the best ever at his job so it's hard not to have those traits - it's what defines him. And that's in a relatively niche sport when not many people get involved

Then look at CRonaldo. Playing the sport that billions of people play and have played and yet he is one of the best ever at it. He's going to come across as arrogant etc but the fact is - he's actually a decent bloke and his off the pitch stuff is phenomenal. He is hugely generous with time and money and I would absolutely love to meet him one day and just have a beer and a chat. He must be a fascinating character and, to be fair to him, he's an incredible shape and has looked after himself well.
    So you have never met him, yet hes a decent bloke.
    He is in incredible shape, so the likelihood of him having a beer with you is minimal as doubt that pubs are his thing.
    No idea what he does with his time or money, but don't wish to waste time finding out. perhaps you could enlighten me?
    Don't get the fascination either, rather spend it with someone like the late Brian Clough or Bobby Robson
  • Options

If that was a red card the Juventus player who spat in an opponents mouth the other day should be put in an electric chair and then put in front of a firing squad.

I would like the FA to implement that punishment for diving....
  • Options

Tbh who cares don’t you remember his winking after getting Rooney sent off cunt

It’s called karma

Doubt Ronaldo's particularly bothered about the 'karma'. Portugal won the match, last night barely mattered in comparison.

Besides, Rooney was his pal again afterwards so he couldn't have been that bothered.