Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Chairman's Wife - Heather Alwen remembers the battle to take Charlton back to the Valley

Comments

• Options
    Wonderful story and heady days. I clearly remember seeing Heather tending the plants at the training ground. A lifetime away from what we are going through now.
  • Options
    Excellent article
  • Options
    Great article
  • Options
    Very good article @Weegie Addick. Amazing how much was achieved to save our club back in those memorable days.
  • Options
    Lovely article, what a journey to have been on.
  • Options
    Great article. Have met her at The Valley and out in Kent.
  • Options
    WOW ! What a great read !

I salute you, the two Heathers.
  • Options
    Makes you proud doesn't it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a great read @Weegie Addick
  • Options
    Thanks enjoyed that. Also thanks to the Alwens for saving our club
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    It’s a very good piece but one thing in it jars. Neither the late Mike Norris nor Derek Ufton would support the view that John Sunley had a secret plan to develop The Valley. Indeed, Sunleys gave up the right to the land when they left In 1985.

Norris couldn’t get Sunley interested in schemes to develop The Valley, which is why he did a deal with John Laing.
  • Options
    Thanks for linking it, Ben, and to others for nice comments. I'm rather chuffed to have made it into The Blizzard.

In the end I decided to keep the article focussed on Heather's recollections of the time rather than drawing too many parallels with today, though the contrast of the canteen and providing for the youth players should nevertheless be loud and clear for present day fans.

Rick, appreciate some of the wheeling and dealing may well have been somewhat different in reality and from other perspectives.

I'm surprised there's not been more outrage at Heather's candid confession that the clear-up day at The Valley was purely a PR stunt!
  • Options

Thanks for linking it, Ben, and to others for nice comments. I'm rather chuffed to have made it into The Blizzard.

In the end I decided to keep the article focussed on Heather's recollections of the time rather than drawing too many parallels with today, though the contrast of the canteen and providing for the youth players should nevertheless be loud and clear for present day fans.

Rick, appreciate some of the wheeling and dealing may well have been somewhat different in reality and from other perspectives.

I'm surprised there's not been more outrage at Heather's candid confession that the clear-up day at The Valley was purely a PR stunt!

I feel better now for having been too beery and lazy to have turned up....
  • Options
    Lovely piece.
  • Options

Really enjoyed reading your article, Weegie. Proper job!

• Options
    Really enjoyed reading that, @Weegie Addick . Thank you very much for such a personal view of those important years in Charlton's history.
  • Options
    There were two clear up days. Please tell me this is true. I went to both? I'm sure I did.

I've still got the blisters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great piece, @Weegie Addick, thank you.
  • Options
    Brilliant read...really good article,another great insight into how we once got our great club back...hopefully very soon we can all say that we got it back again...

Cmon Roly Douchtwat...FO & Sell...!!
  • Options
    excellent article, never seen that.

from memory though, aren't the VP vote numbers wrong? (14,838 not 14,383)
  • Options
    Ah, good spot @elthamaddick - I will ask them to correct that online and also a couple of wee typos I've spotted towards the end.
  • Options
    Great read, thanks. Amazing that revelations, even now, are still appearing.
  • Options

Was there on that Sunday with youngest boy - don't really care if it was a PR stunt. It worked, as you really felt you were doing something to start the process of going home.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

There were two clear up days. Please tell me this is true. I went to both? I'm sure I did.

I've still got the blisters.

Forgot to write :
    Fantastic piece by the way. I always enjoy reading your stuff.