Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Elected Greenwich MP will represent Millwall and not Charlton

Comments

• As the article mentions the comments from residents on https://www.bce2018.org.uk are worth a look. Some absolute gold. Particularly the Greenwich/ Bexley border areas.
  • Looks like I become Eltham and East Wickham with the other side of my road Lewisham and Catford. Efford has his work cut out to hold on.
  • some obvious and unnecessary compromises and no respect for historic boundaries that could have been.. surely MPs need to be connected to recognisable areas to better represent their constituents.

DAFT
  • TBH I'd be surprised if this will happen - turkeys and Christmas etc. It would however mean that London seats whose population has increased will be most under-represented and it will be historically rural areas that will look over-represented. As it is most SE London constituencies are bigger than average, this will make them even more so.
  • Not even sure he’ll stand again, he’ll be 64 by then if this parliament runs its course, and would have done 25 years. That will attract a pension that would make your eyes pop out, MP’s benefits, barring salary,rarely make the news.
    If Corbyn is still leader then Clive may well find himself deselected. Ironically he was one of the parliamentary party to nominate Jezza for the leadership but is not a supporter and chaired plenty of local meeetings during Corbyns first crazy year to discuss plans to for another leadership challenge.
    He is a very popular local MP, although last years election was the first time he had increased his majority since he was first elected. As pointed out above the addition of part of Welling will do him no favours but then he benefited from the last boundary change when Eltham absorbed Plumstead. Swings and roundabouts.
    I’ve got know him pretty well over the last four years as he is a regular customer of mine and he is a throughly decent bloke.
  • I live well in the heart of Lewisham East but it now seems I will live in the new Greenwich and Deptford constituency, about as near to the edge of it as it is possible to be.
    Not happy about this.
  • seth plum said:

I live well in the heart of Lewisham East but it now seems I will live in the new Greenwich and Deptford constituency, about as near to the edge of it as it is possible to be.
    Not happy about this.

Both solid Labour so why are you fussed?
  • Riviera said:

seth plum said:

I live well in the heart of Lewisham East but it now seems I will live in the new Greenwich and Deptford constituency, about as near to the edge of it as it is possible to be.
    Not happy about this.

Both solid Labour so why are you fussed?
    For me it is not about the party as much as the individual.
    Who are the two....well we don't know because they will be new constituencies...but may I assume they are Janet Daby and Matthew Pennycock?
    I know a bit about Daby, but hardly anything about Pennycock, and to be honest I can't foresee any prospective parliamentary candidates for Deptford and Greenwich giving much of a damn for the southern part of Lee on the fringe of this new awkward constituency.
  • edited September 2018
    Rob7Lee said:

Looks like I become Eltham and East Wickham with the other side of my road Lewisham and Catford. Efford has his work cut out to hold on.

East Wickham ward (or at any rate the part of it included in this proposal) in particular has a chunky Labour vote, especially in general elections, so not necessarily as bad for Efford as people might assume.
  • So the Bermondsey riff raff are being lumped in with the psuedo posh Blackheath lot? Interesting

• Sponsored links:

• Good lord, I'm glad they kept Bexley out of Woolwich
  • Is there a map of proposed boundaries compared to the current one?