Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Champions Reality Or Rose Tinted ?

Comments

• Where does this idea that RD sells our best players in January come from?

After the shambles of his first transfer window, that they got horribly wrong, the only players I remember leaving in January were Lookman and Fox?

It was a near miracle that we kept Lookman for the first half of the season and half the people on here offered to drive Fox to Sheffield!!

Have I missed something? If anything we normally add numbers, if not quality, in January.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Where does this idea that RD sells our best players in January come from?

After the shambles of his first transfer window, that they got horribly wrong, the only players I remember leaving in January were Lookman and Fox?

It was a near miracle that we kept Lookman for the first half of the season and half the people on here offered to drive Fox to Sheffield!!

Have I missed something? If anything we normally add numbers, if not quality, in January.

From recollection.

Dale Stephens
    Yann
    Michael Morrison
    Lookman
    Fox
    Ricky Holmes

In terms of impacting ones over five Jam windows. Imo there is a shift halfway through ownership with a clear strategy to fund losses with sales.

Lookman I don’t think was a miracle we kept, it was a business decision that his value would increase (which proved correct).

Worth noting that in all seasons we have approached January with a common sense our squad was too small and needed to be strengthened in Jan. the only time that really happened was the season we were relegated where it was too little too late
  • I like the price for us to win the league, but still feel sunderland will splash the cash in January and end up top of the pile.

Apart from Barnsley, Sunderland, Pompey & Posh, I don’t fear anyone else in this league. I am backing us to finish in the top 6.

Two of those only beat us in the 90+ min.

If Taylor or Grant scores 20+ goals we won’t be that far behind the leading pack.
  • How could I forget Holmes!!

The season before we went down I think we brought in Johnson, Eagles, Diarra, Watt and Le pont didn't we?
  • Nicholas said:

Looking good at the minute keep everyone fit and it should be a race for top spot between us, Pompey, Peter, Barnsley and Sunderland.

...........and then we go and lose Bauer for 2 months.
  • Bow has fostered a few good results against lowly opposition, the squad is a bit less threadbare in September than in August. Talk of a top few finish is fanciful nonsense. The one big problem remains with no realistic prospect of that changing. Should any players maintain decent form they’ll be up for sale the minute the window opens, add to them the players approaching contract’s end who’ll go for any money at all. By 1 February the squad will be just as thin as it was last month. Bow’s good but not a wizard. Then there’s roly’s special brand of extra lunatic behaviour and determination to undermine anything positive at CAFC. Enjoy the good games as and when they crop up but FFS don’t pin anything on a successful season. That way only heartache and madness lie - it’s not like we’ve not been warned.

And so it begins: Bauer now unavailable for an undetermined period with knee ligament damage, leaving just 2 fit centre halves, one of whom is Naby Sarr.
  • Bow has fostered a few good results against lowly opposition, the squad is a bit less threadbare in September than in August. Talk of a top few finish is fanciful nonsense. The one big problem remains with no realistic prospect of that changing. Should any players maintain decent form they’ll be up for sale the minute the window opens, add to them the players approaching contract’s end who’ll go for any money at all. By 1 February the squad will be just as thin as it was last month. Bow’s good but not a wizard. Then there’s roly’s special brand of extra lunatic behaviour and determination to undermine anything positive at CAFC. Enjoy the good games as and when they crop up but FFS don’t pin anything on a successful season. That way only heartache and madness lie - it’s not like we’ve not been warned.

And so it begins: Bauer now unavailable for an undetermined period with knee ligament damage, leaving just 2 fit centre halves, one of whom is Naby Sarr.
    Bielik.
  • Our poxy players are cursed.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Where does this idea that RD sells our best players in January come from?

From recollection.

Dale Stephens
    Yann
    Michael Morrison
    Lookman
    Fox
    Ricky Holmes

In terms of impacting ones over five Jam windows. Imo there is a shift halfway through ownership with a clear strategy to fund losses with sales.

Lookman I don’t think was a miracle we kept, it was a business decision that his value would increase (which proved correct).

Worth noting that in all seasons we have approached January with a common sense our squad was too small and needed to be strengthened in Jan. the only time that really happened was the season we were relegated where it was too little too late
    We've also brought in the likes of Page and JFC in January, so it's not all one way traffic
  • Redhenry said:

Just had 20 quid @ 25/1

Most of you are far too serious and IMO seem to miss the point.

If you like a bit of fun and a flutter, you ain't going to get better odds than this.
    And RedHenry is never wrong.

• Sponsored links:

• In today's Racing Post 5 things we learnt from the weekend.
  • Think it's far too early. I don't think we've had a dominant game start to finish yet, and eventually things like Pearce holding in the box in the 75th minute and not being able to get out of our own end for much of the last 20-25min will catch up to you.

I do think we moved up a gear on Saturday, and there are glimpses of the team starting to gel, but we're only a couple weeks removed from a thoroughly mediocre 0-0 against Fleetwood.

I'm also very hesitant to say we have players to come back from injury and suspension because it seems that, without fail, as soon as one person comes back we lose another.
  • edited September 2018
    Cafc43v3r said:

How could I forget Holmes!!

The season before we went down I think we brought in Johnson, Eagles, Diarra, Watt and Le pont didn't we?

Plus Williams and Fanni.

Edit: getting seasons mixed up. Some of those were in 14/15 and helped us go on a run to stay up, year after we signed a few but still got relegated.

Johnson signed in 2015 and 2016!
  • One thing you learn as a Charlton fan is that you can't say - good, a couple of easy games coming up. There is no such thing! It works both ways and you can be positively surprised about hard games, but we are not easy to predict!
  • One thing you learn as a Charlton fan is that you can't say - good, a couple of easy games coming up. There is no such thing! It works both ways and you can be positively surprised about hard games, but we are not easy to predict!

We have a couple of easy games coming up
  • clb74 said:

One thing you learn as a Charlton fan is that you can't say - good, a couple of easy games coming up. There is no such thing! It works both ways and you can be positively surprised about hard games, but we are not easy to predict!

We have a couple of easy games coming up
    Dont think there are any easy games in football, when there is we do the Charlton thing. Lets just take one game at a time and see where that takes us:)
  • Sunderland striker Charlie Wyke out for 2 months with knee ligament injury.
  • Sunderland striker Charlie Wyke out for 2 months with knee ligament injury.

Maja is their main man with 5 so far, but Wkye has been a regular. So whilst not wishing him an injury, I'd rather see Maja out for couple months.
  • 8 games in 38 to play ffs! our next 5 are

plymouth h
    luton a
    scunthorpe a
    coventry h
    walsall a

3 wins from 5 of them and ill maybe agree

being charlton the sort of game we will lose is saturday a plymouth side 3 points after 8 games.

Agree. I think we are too thin a squad and when injuries start happening, we won't have the depth. If we have a new owner by the transfer window and we get a 3 solid players, might change my mind. I think top2 is not happening, but maybe top 6.
  • I think the odds are about right,

Our 1st 11 is a match for pretty much anyone in this division so they are capable of top 6, possibly top 4. Squad depth for a season in league 1 May come up short though in some positions.

Both full backs and to an extent Center half positions may be an issue, Pearce might need an Op and Solly usually misses 10 games a season and Page is yet to be injury free for long.

Up front Taylor will almost certainly get a ban the way he plays and we’d struggle without him.

Midfield we have some depth especially with Fosu and Clarke to come back in.

If we can stay relatively injury free from this point on then top 6 we should be. Add 2-3 in January and top 4 is possible.

If neither happens anywhere from 6th - 10th.
  • Sponsored links:

• The key players to me are Pearce Cullen and Taylor

If they stay fit we have a good chance.. play offs as a minimum

• lolwray said:

The key players to me are Pearce Cullen and Taylor

Agreed, but I'd include Page as a key player now as well.
  • lolwray said:

Plus Fosu.
  • lolwray said:

Plus Fosu.
    Plus clarke

Bielik.
    Nope he’s not fit, yet
  • So a few games on since the start of this thread and i think the reality is that we're a fairly average side..........but with potential.

We're almost a quarter of the way through the season and we have beaten 1 top half side (Southend in 11th). 4 of our wins have come against sides in the bottom 6.

In our matches against sides in the top half we have taken 5 points from 6 games and conceded 12 goals. No wins at all against sides in the top 10. Simply not good enough for a side with realistic promotion hopes.

Frustrating as i think we all know that with a fully fit squad we're a match for anyone. But sadly that's not proving the case. Another injury last night (Page) means we have even more problems.
  • So a few games on since the start of this thread and i think the reality is that we're a fairly average side..........but with potential.

We're almost a quarter of the way through the season and we have beaten 1 top half side (Southend in 11th). 4 of our wins have come against sides in the bottom 6.

In our matches against sides in the top half we have taken 5 points from 6 games and conceded 12 goals. No wins at all against sides in the top 10. Simply not good enough for a side with realistic promotion hopes.

Frustrating as i think we all know that with a fully fit squad we're a match for anyone. But sadly that's not proving the case. Another injury last night (Page) means we have even more problems.

On the plus side were scoring goals for fun
    Even with last night defeat it's 8 points out of 6 away from home.
    Nearly 2 goals a game away from home.
    We are matching teams see stats for the 1st 11 games
  • edited May 2019
    Well, I went in at 22/1, 25/1, 33/1 (twice) and 50/1 each Way for the title. So my playoffs are paid for !  
  • edited July 2019
    So after also collecting on my promotion bets, Thought I resurrect this from September last year. Well, I finished with a very healthy profit from last season. Are we going to make money this year !  

Ok ok well I can't tip us for promotion (yet) !  However, I do think top half at 11/4 with Betfair & Paddy Power is viable. 

Therefore if if top half is viable so is the +28 point start offered by Bet365 at 18/1 each way 4 places. 
  • So after also collecting on my promotion bets, Thought I resurrect this from September last year. Well, I finished with a very healthy profit from last season. Are we going to make money this year !  

Ok ok well I can't tip us for promotion (yet) !  However, I do think top half at 11/4 with Betfair & Paddy Power is viable. 

Therefore if if top half is viable so is the +28 point start offered by Bet365 at 18/1 each way 4 places. 
    Top half ?
    Unless we get in a minimum of 5 decent signings, good enough for the first team, we'll struggle to be top half of the bottom 3.