Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Charlton strike partnerships?

Comments

• Options
    Hales & Flanagan for me, followed by Tees & Treacy. Only saw Firmani with Matthews. It's a good sign that we are at least talking about Taylor & Grant.
  • Options
    The key to a good partnership is not so much happening to have two good strikers, but to have two players that are even more dangerous when they play together. It is far to early to say that is the case with Taylor and Grant, but there are positive signs.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

It's a great question. Because, although it might not seem like it these days, we have actually had some good strikers and some good partnerships up front. It's really interesting to see who people think might be considered the best. Mendonca, Daren Bent, Kermorgant, Wright-Phillips, Hunt, Bartlett and other all deserve to be thought of as amongst the best. But, of course, Killer and Flash was the best pairing, even though some of the others might have been considered "better" players.

As an aside, I think Mendonca was the best finisher. Hales was the best striker. Daren Bent was the most dangerous player linking up with attacking midfielders. So, for me, if you had Derek Hales, Daren Bent and Clive Mendonca at their peak, it would be very hard to know who to leave out.

But the best pairing we were ever able to field regularly was the subtle, silky and clever skills of Mike Flanagan and the out and out, in your face, blistering-paced, determined finisher of Derek Hales. No question.

I think anyone who saw Leary and Firmani together would disagree with you.
    I'd respect their views. But then I would argue that anyone old enough to have been able fully to appreciate a central striking pairing that finished 63 years ago, may not be the most reliable witness in 2018. :wink:

And then, as I picked my teeth up off the floor, I would humbly suggest that Hales and Flanagan were the better striking partnership and, in fact, were the only pair who each scored more than 100 goals for Charlton.
    You can quote goals they scored for Charlton. I will say at what level ?
    Stuart Leary scored over 150 goals for Charlton and is still the leading scorer of league goals for us .
    Eddie Firmani is the only player to score 100 goals in both England and Italy
    By the way I am still compus mentis.
  • Options
    From my years (early 70s onwards)

Hales and Horsfield
    Hales and Flanagan
    Hales and Walsh

A soft spot too for the short period when Leaburn partnered Mendonca. Overall though it's got to be Killer and Flash, you knew that all we had to do to win was to keep a clean sheet. Unfortunately if we did a best ever back four partnership thread I doubt the 70s/early 80s would feature much!
  • Options
    Killer & Flash for me.

As a pair they both scored over 100 goals for us - I don't think any other pairing has done this for us.
  • Options
    Carl and Clive worked well although Carl was never a prolific scorer. Yann and BWP were a better partnership if you want one where both are likely to tuck away a chance.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Bartlett and Johansson
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

It's a great question. Because, although it might not seem like it these days, we have actually had some good strikers and some good partnerships up front. It's really interesting to see who people think might be considered the best. Mendonca, Daren Bent, Kermorgant, Wright-Phillips, Hunt, Bartlett and other all deserve to be thought of as amongst the best. But, of course, Killer and Flash was the best pairing, even though some of the others might have been considered "better" players.

As an aside, I think Mendonca was the best finisher. Hales was the best striker. Daren Bent was the most dangerous player linking up with attacking midfielders. So, for me, if you had Derek Hales, Daren Bent and Clive Mendonca at their peak, it would be very hard to know who to leave out.

But the best pairing we were ever able to field regularly was the subtle, silky and clever skills of Mike Flanagan and the out and out, in your face, blistering-paced, determined finisher of Derek Hales. No question.

I'd respect their views. But then I would argue that anyone old enough to have been able fully to appreciate a central striking pairing that finished 63 years ago, may not be the most reliable witness in 2018. :wink:

And then, as I picked my teeth up off the floor, I would humbly suggest that Hales and Flanagan were the better striking partnership and, in fact, were the only pair who each scored more than 100 goals for Charlton.
    Now listen here young man, at least I have still got my own teeth, how long have you had false ones?
    I loved watching Hales and Flanagan play, and Derek one of the greatest characters who has ever played for us.
    I may be wrong but I thought Leary and Summers both scored over a hundred goals for us
    I wrote my post, very confident I was right. I then hit "Post Comment" and thought, maybe I ought to check whether Johnny Summers did, in fact, score more than 100 goals for Charlton. So I was very relieved to see that, in his 171 games for Charlton from 1956 to 1961 he failed to score more than 100. By one!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Now listen here young man, at least I have still got my own teeth, how long have you had false ones?
    I loved watching Hales and Flanagan play, and Derek one of the greatest characters who has ever played for us.
    I may be wrong but I thought Leary and Summers both scored over a hundred goals for us
    I wrote my post, very confident I was right. I then hit "Post Comment" and thought, maybe I ought to check whether Johnny Summers did, in fact, score more than 100 goals for Charlton. So I was very relieved to see that, in his 171 games for Charlton from 1956 to 1961 he failed to score more than 100. By one!
    He scored a 104 goals for Charlton the 171 games and 100 goals is league games, he also scored for goals in the FA cup, you never stated just league games
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Yann and BWP 2011/12

Hayes and BWP did very well in those first few games too.
    Apart from Hayes found it very difficult to score
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

He scored a 104 goals for Charlton the 171 games and 100 goals is league games, he also scored for goals in the FA cup, you never stated just league games
    *quickly corrects it to league goals*
  • Options
    Paul Walsh and Killer both scored quite a few 80/1 promotion from 3rd tier and 81/2
  • Options
    Mcleod and Varney
  • Options
    Amazed nobody has mentioned big Josh and one goal Nicky
  • Options
    Varney and Gray against Coventry... Those two gave so much hope in that game... Then it all went pear shaped.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Yann and BWP 2011/12

He scored 3 across August/September - we’ve had worse.

I was more thinking how well they linked up. They looked like a partnership right from the start.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

*quickly corrects it to league goals*
    I was only joking about your teeth, I am sure they are lovely.
    Talking about all the great strikers we have had, brings back good memories.
    It is very early days for Taylor and Grant, but if they carry on, as they have started, it could be a very good season for Charlton
  • Options
    Matt Tees and Rodney Green were signed from Grimsby as a pair of strikers. Fantastic heading at corners. Unfortunately injuries limited their games together.
  • Options
    Leaburn and Paul Williams did a great job for a while in the old div.1 Leaburn never scored many,but he was a perfect providor for williams,other than this Ray Tracy and Matt Tees was a joy to behold
  • Options
    Bit late to the party on this, but Leaburn & Nelson were a great partnership, Nelse definitely bought the best out of Carl, very intelligent player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hales and Flanagan for me too.

However, I think if I could have any combo over time it would be Tees and Hales - Matt was the best header of a ball I have seen in a Charlton shirt, something that is, unfortunately, believed to have contributed to his dementia in later life. Killer was the best finisher and "nastiest" forward ever to play for us.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Varney and Gray against Coventry... Those two gave so much hope in that game... Then it all went pear shaped.

That was the last game of the season when we'd had Varney all season and Gray since January

Was proof of what they could do if they worked well together, sadly never happened again or before that game
  • Options
    Mendonca and Steve Jones 97/8 instrumental in the run to the playoffs. SJ’s part in that success has been overshadowed by Mark Bright’s higher profile. I had my longest run of consecutive games home and away to the end of 97/8 and recall Mendonca/Jones as the strike pairing for most. What SJ lacked in pace and finesse he covered with sheer bloody effort and could rely on SCM being in the right place at the right time to finish. Notable was the away game at Swindon in foul windy conditions SJ chased half the length of the pitch to score
  • Options
    let's all trust that in a few years the names Taylor and Grant crop up on posts such as this (strikers, NOT estate agents or a department store)
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    It’s obviously difficult to compare players playing in different divisions at different times. If we are looking at partnerships, then in my time ( 1964 onwards ) it has to be Hales and Flanagan.

Matt Tees was one of my heroes at the back end of the sixties and many of us have fond memories of his partnership with Ray Treacy in 68/69. However I have just looked at the stats and in that season, the only full season they had together, they only managed 23 league goals between them with a combined appearance count of 70 games. In 1975/76 Hales scored 28 league goals in 40 games. The following season he and Flanagan scored 39 league goals between them in a combined total of 58 games ( Hales transferred to Derby before Christmas).

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Mametz said:

It’s obviously difficult to compare players playing in different divisions at different times. If we are looking at partnerships, then in my time ( 1964 onwards ) it has to be Hales and Flanagan.

Matt Tees was one of my heroes at the back end of the sixties and many of us have fond memories of his partnership with Ray Treacy in 68/69. However I have just looked at the stats and in that season, the only full season they had together. They only managed 23 league goals between them with a combined appearance count of 70 games. In 1975/76 Hales scored 28 league goals in 40 games. The following season he and Flanagan scored 39 league goals between them in a combined total of 58 games ( Hales transferred to Derby before Christmas).

He did and for, at the time a very large fee of £330,000 IIRC.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Mametz said:

Matt Tees was one of my heroes at the back end of the sixties and many of us have fond memories of his partnership with Ray Treacy in 68/69. However I have just looked at the stats and in that season, the only full season they had together. They only managed 23 league goals between them with a combined appearance count of 70 games. In 1975/76 Hales scored 28 league goals in 40 games. The following season he and Flanagan scored 39 league goals between them in a combined total of 58 games ( Hales transferred to Derby before Christmas).

He did and for, at the time a very large fee of £330,000 IIRC.
    Seem to remember it was the 4th or 5th highest transfer at the time in Britain.
  • Options
    Abbot and Mooney.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Yann and BWP 2011/12

He scored 3 across August/September - we’ve had worse.

I was more thinking how well they linked up. They looked like a partnership right from the start.
    He was also dropped around September/October for Yann. I’m sure he’d have had at least 10 goals if he’d played all season because of the way he linked up with BWP.