Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Charlton strike partnerships?

Comments

• Options
    Hales and Flanaghan was something to behold. Supplied by Powell and Peacock, sometimes we were unstoppable. Couldn’t defend for toffee, mind. Ahem, Bobby Goldthorpe and Dave Shipperley
  • Options
    Same as the QPR partnership under McLaren : 'one thin one fat'
  • Options
    Killer and King Arthur
    Killer and Flash
    Paul Williams and Garth Crooks
  • Options
    Hales and Flanagan
    Tees and Tracey
    Hales and Horsfield
    Leaburn and Williams

All good.
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani and Roy Matthews had a good season in 1963/64 when we came 4th in the old division 2.
  • Options
    Darren bent and Bartlett combined well the few times they played together
  • Options
    Dennis Edwards and Roy Matthews. More often than not they lived up to their nicknames Daisy and Jessie.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Since the late fifties;

Summers and Leary
    Matthews and Firmani
    Tees and Tracey
    Hales and Flanagan
    Lee and Leaburn
    Mendonca and Hunt
    Bent and Bartlett
    Kermorgant and Wright Phillips

The two who scored very good goals yesterday have a long way to go to join the exalted company above but from small acorns...……..: :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

It's a great question. Because, although it might not seem like it these days, we have actually had some good strikers and some good partnerships up front. It's really interesting to see who people think might be considered the best. Mendonca, Daren Bent, Kermorgant, Wright-Phillips, Hunt, Bartlett and other all deserve to be thought of as amongst the best. But, of course, Killer and Flash was the best pairing, even though some of the others might have been considered "better" players.

As an aside, I think Mendonca was the best finisher. Hales was the best striker. Daren Bent was the most dangerous player linking up with attacking midfielders. So, for me, if you had Derek Hales, Daren Bent and Clive Mendonca at their peak, it would be very hard to know who to leave out.

But the best pairing we were ever able to field regularly was the subtle, silky and clever skills of Mike Flanagan and the out and out, in your face, blistering-paced, determined finisher of Derek Hales. No question.

I think anyone who saw Leary and Firmani together would disagree with you.
  • Options
    From what I have seen in my lifetime - Killer and Flash - no question.
  • Options
    Melrose and Walsh were pretty special considering the level they played at and the resources at the time.
  • Options

Yann and BWP 2011/12

Hayes and BWP did very well in those first few games too.
  • Options
    Melrose/Crooks
    Williams/Leaburn
    Nelson/Leaburn
    Mendonca/Bright
    Hunt/Pringle
    Yann/BWP
  • Options

Melrose and Walsh were pretty special considering the level they played at and the resources at the time.

Colin Walsh the strike partner of Jimmy Melrose ?
    Walshie was left mid/left wing.
    How many times did he play centre forward alongside Melrose ?
    I can't recall it ever.
  • Options

And the genius that was Lenny Lawrence takes the credit for that partnership.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Colin Walsh the strike partner of Jimmy Melrose ?
    Walshie was left mid/left wing.
    How many times did he play centre forward alongside Melrose ?
    I can't recall it ever.
    Melrose pretty much played upfront on his own but I seem to remember Walsh being a bit more of a roving 10 than an out and out winger. Seem to recall Rob Lee and Mark Stuart out wide.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Chizz said:

It's a great question. Because, although it might not seem like it these days, we have actually had some good strikers and some good partnerships up front. It's really interesting to see who people think might be considered the best. Mendonca, Daren Bent, Kermorgant, Wright-Phillips, Hunt, Bartlett and other all deserve to be thought of as amongst the best. But, of course, Killer and Flash was the best pairing, even though some of the others might have been considered "better" players.

As an aside, I think Mendonca was the best finisher. Hales was the best striker. Daren Bent was the most dangerous player linking up with attacking midfielders. So, for me, if you had Derek Hales, Daren Bent and Clive Mendonca at their peak, it would be very hard to know who to leave out.

But the best pairing we were ever able to field regularly was the subtle, silky and clever skills of Mike Flanagan and the out and out, in your face, blistering-paced, determined finisher of Derek Hales. No question.

There are some excellent players there, but for me Stuart Leary was the best player I have seen at Charlton, and Eddie Firmani was great as well, sadly we sold him, Colin Cameron was a big fan of Charlie Vaughn, but I only saw him play a few times.
    You weren't too shabby either Johnny :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leary & Summers.
  • Options
    In my near 60 years of watching Charlton, think it would just be Leary and Firmani, although I can understand people going for Hales and Flannigan, Mendonca and hunt etc
  • Options
    Leary and Firmani, early years Hales and Flanagan later on Mendonca was a double act on his own.
  • Options
    Best Carlton Strike partnership? Me and Danny Richardson. Regularly tore apart the defences up Charlton Park in the early 70s. Mind you it was just us two against Umit Suleyman in goal and he was shite. We must have scored thousands between us. Would have been more but we had to be home for tea at 5.
  • Options
    Although I have no doubt they were capable, Hales and Flanagan never played in the top division as a partnership (only individually).
    Leary and Firmani never played below the top level as a partnership (only individually).
    Maybe worth bearing in mind when making a judgement.
  • Options

Chizz said:

I'd respect their views. But then I would argue that anyone old enough to have been able fully to appreciate a central striking pairing that finished 63 years ago, may not be the most reliable witness in 2018. :wink:

And then, as I picked my teeth up off the floor, I would humbly suggest that Hales and Flanagan were the better striking partnership and, in fact, were the only pair who each scored more than 100 goals for Charlton.
  • Options
    Fucking cheeky little sod!
  • Options
    Hales and Walsh P
    Hales and Simonsen
  • Options
    Got to be killer and flash. Very pleased with Taylor and Grant as they work well together.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I'd respect their views. But then I would argue that anyone old enough to have been able fully to appreciate a central striking pairing that finished 63 years ago, may not be the most reliable witness in 2018. :wink:

And then, as I picked my teeth up off the floor, I would humbly suggest that Hales and Flanagan were the better striking partnership and, in fact, were the only pair who each scored more than 100 goals for Charlton.
    Now listen here young man, at least I have still got my own teeth, how long have you had false ones?
    I loved watching Hales and Flanagan play, and Derek one of the greatest characters who has ever played for us.
    I may be wrong but I thought Leary and Summers both scored over a hundred goals for us