Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bradford v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018

Got a warm feeling about our team and emerging squad at the moment. I’m being a bit restrained as I had a warm feeling this time last year too but we seem to have an edge to us this year which was missing before. “Nasty”. I’ll take that. We’ve been a soft touch too long. The table is beginning to look god considering we are playing catch up thanks to RDs mismanagement.

Teams probably loved playing us last season because Managers would tell their players to rough us up seeing that it would be our downfall.

Now I wonder if there is a bit more of a reluctance knowing we can go toe to toe with them as we wont give a shit and just continue to play through them
    Quite often last season we were missing Pearce, BFG (and Clarke) to give the opposition a reminder that there are consequences if they go in hard on one of our players. This season they’ve had the benefit of Pearce and BFG being there and the prospect of having Clarke back to further their education shortly...
    Surely you're not suggesting Billy Clarke is a "hard man" a midfield enforcer ?
    From what we saw of him last season he’s definitely the type of player who does his bit to let you know he’s there, whether it’s deliberate or not is another matter but the effect was probably the same and enough for anybody to think twice if they thought the team was soft.
    I'll grant you Clarke is not a lightweight like Ben Reeves.
    But I doubt the opposition see the 5' 7" midfielder, as a battling rough, tough, midfielder.
    I doubt that they would be reluctant to go toe to toe with him and would be scared about Clarke getting retribution, if they go in hard on one of our players.
    "Don't go in too hard on the Charlton players, or Billy Clarke will 'ave yuh".
    Pure fantasy I'm afraid.
    I'll agree to disagree.
  • Options

The number of bookings this season suggests a mentality change as well as a personnel one. I think Bowyer wants us to be more physical and more aggressive, and has now moulded a team "in his image" whereas last season it was Robinson's squad and style of play.

Not so sure.........3 yellows have been shown for diving. Nothing new but being clamped down more by refs. unless LB is telling them to do it (which I very much doubt)
  • Options

Scoham said:

Brilliant day, they were excellent, professional performance with a bit of quality in the finishes. I think we are a lot better than last season Taylor is superb everything about him, could go down a club legend one day.

Half time we was speaking with some northern old boy who says he’s been a Charlton fan for 61 years but never been to the valley, never left Yorkshire by the sounds of it, his daughter was in the home end, strange story, tweeted official cafc trying to get them to make it happen.

How did he end up supporting us?
    Fancied a girl at school who’s last name was Charlton, I kid you not.
    Oh no not that fella, how many pints did we buy him this time :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Scoham said:

Brilliant day, they were excellent, professional performance with a bit of quality in the finishes. I think we are a lot better than last season Taylor is superb everything about him, could go down a club legend one day.

Half time we was speaking with some northern old boy who says he’s been a Charlton fan for 61 years but never been to the valley, never left Yorkshire by the sounds of it, his daughter was in the home end, strange story, tweeted official cafc trying to get them to make it happen.

How did he end up supporting us?
    Fancied a girl at school who’s last name was Charlton, I kid you not.
    Oh no not that fella, how many pints did we buy him this time :wink:
    Ah yes, the man that supports Portsmouth, Peterboro, Barnsley, Sunderland .......... depending upon who Bradford are playing :smiley:
  • Options
    You have to factor in the standard of refereeing when you’re assessing the number of bookings we’ve had. There were some ridiculous ones yesterday - the ref was one of those who wasn’t going to book anyone for an hour and then flashed the card for basically any foul and some the weren’t even fouls.
  • Options

Got a warm feeling about our team and emerging squad at the moment. I’m being a bit restrained as I had a warm feeling this time last year too but we seem to have an edge to us this year which was missing before. “Nasty”. I’ll take that. We’ve been a soft touch too long. The table is beginning to look god considering we are playing catch up thanks to RDs mismanagement.

Teams probably loved playing us last season because Managers would tell their players to rough us up seeing that it would be our downfall.

Now I wonder if there is a bit more of a reluctance knowing we can go toe to toe with them as we wont give a shit and just continue to play through them
    Quite often last season we were missing Pearce, BFG (and Clarke) to give the opposition a reminder that there are consequences if they go in hard on one of our players. This season they’ve had the benefit of Pearce and BFG being there and the prospect of having Clarke back to further their education shortly...
    From what we saw of him last season he’s definitely the type of player who does his bit to let you know he’s there, whether it’s deliberate or not is another matter but the effect was probably the same and enough for anybody to think twice if they thought the team was soft.
    But I doubt the opposition see the 5' 7" midfielder, as a battling rough, tough, midfielder.
    I doubt that they would be reluctant to go toe to toe with him as you state and would be scared about Clarke getting retribution, if they go in hard one of our players.
    Pure fantasy I'm afraid.
    I'll agree to disagree.
    Only the dickheads go toe to toe in a football match - it’s a straight red card and self defeating. It’s all about being committed to winning and keeping the ball when you go into a tackle and height has nothing to do with how effective somebody can and can’t be.
  • Options
    Yeah stupid comment about the red card by me. I suppose I mean a red in earlier play that leaves us with a 10 v 11 situation.
  • Options
    Clarke has been out a long time so anything he gives us should be seen as a bonus - for the short term at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I doubt that they would be reluctant to go toe to toe with him and would be scared about Clarke getting retribution, if they go in hard on one of our players.
    "Don't go in too hard on the Charlton players, or Billy Clarke will 'ave yuh".
    Pure fantasy I'm afraid.
    I'll agree to disagree.
    Could he be our "bite yer legs"?
  • Options
    Billy’s gonna get ya ...
    I mean he’s prolly one of about 3 people on this earth weaker than me and the other two are babies
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Was he a little bloke with glasses looks a bit like les dennis
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    clb74 said:

He was indeed got a pic with him in his 1997 Mesh sponsored shirt!
  • Options
    two terrific goals .. we are playing with a LOT of confidence and a bit of a Bowyer swagger ((:>)
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/11499267/bradford-0-2-charlton
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDQSwXKgfew

These highlights don't show any Bradford attacks at all! Good to see our quick approach play - much more urgent than last season - though our finishing is often haywire. Superb threaded pass from Cullen for the first, and ruthless strikes from Grant and Taylor.
  • Options
    Not at the match, but some observations from the highlights:

Excellent save by Steer in the 1st minute. If that goes in it’s a different game.

Great to see the front men scoring goals, and spectacular ones at that!

Like the way Bow mixes up his midfield formations depending on opponents and/or personnel available. It makes us unpredictable, in a good way, and he seems to get the best out of them regardless of the job they’re asked to do. JJ must take some credit here too I guess.

That sweater is an absolute rascal, I’ll have one of those for Xmas please Santa!
  • Options
    Very pleased with this result and we're heading in the right direction. Thanks for all the comments above as I was unable to follow the game so provides a good perspective.

Just returned home to California after a 17 day trip back. Incredibly busy with family stuff. Made the Southend game which was brilliant. Couldn't make Wycombe because of a long standing family commitment (set up by the side of the family who don't understand the passion of Charlton) and decided against the Bradford trip for 3 reasons.
    - train uncertainties, a bit much the day before flying back and still a general malaise because of Roland.

Having said all that, things really are looking up with Bows in charge.

Come on you Addicks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2018
    watching the highlights above (Bradford couldn't have had any otherwise they would have showed them - the camera never lies...right) my observations are -

Grant had more time with his skied chance - needs a bit more composure (then again he's at league 1 level for a reason)

Taylor was unlucky with his first shot - could easily have gone in

Vetokele looked sharp & up for it

what the feck was their goalkeeper going apoplectic about after our 2nd. Cant see the defenders did much wrong........

Cullen's passing is mustard.
  • Options
    Thought it was you @BR7_addick . I was standing behind you in the company of Vince and Les.
  • Options

Thought it was you @BR7_addick . I was standing behind you in the company of Vince and Les.
    Great day, suffering for it now though, bring on Luton.
  • Options
    Although the fella looks a bit like who I thought it was,it's not elfsborg
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Although the fella looks a bit like who I thought it was,it's not elfsborg
    That's another flag you have got coming when he returns Chris 🤣
  • Options
    Where capes?
  • Options

clb74 said:

He was indeed got a pic with him in his 1997 Mesh sponsored shirt!
    Deffo an impostor then, it was Viglen in 1997 :wink:

Seriously though, kudos to the man.