Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Books vs. Kindle (other electronic readers are available)

2»

Comments

• I love my kindle, it's certainly not the same as reading a proper book, but The available selection of books out here is do poor and expensive it makes reading proper books a pain.

With my kindle I can read anything I want for free , it's a no-brainer for me. Afriend recently gave me his copy of Power Wars, after 3 days I gave up reading The hardback and downloaded it for my kindle.
  • edited September 2018
    I prefer books I think... I say that as I've never used a Kindle. I'm no scientist but I'd suggest that the smell of the paper on a book must also add to the experience in some way, as well as the physical turn of the page.
  • Kindle. Got the original 3G one back in 2010
    Love it.

Only pay for a few authors now, mainly read free books or get 10 thrillers for 99p etc

Opens up the door to so many new authors and cannot be beaten for reading with one hand holding on when standing up on the tube. Finish a book by an author you have never read before and boom, download another of their books in seconds.

Can preorder titles to be delivered when released. Can store the books in folders- I have mine listed by ratings so I can look back at the higher rated books and search for new material.
    Holidays are a godsend- one little device rather than 4 hefty books.

Don’t understand ‘the feeling of turning a page’ - what feeling? Have never thought ‘I wish i had to flip this page over rather than pushing this button’

If there isn’t something you’d dont understand on the page you can look it up.

In short, would never go back to buying physically books.
  • edited September 2018
    Apple taking purchases - That is shocking...

it's like buying a new car and 3 years down the line the manufacturer takes it back saying we no longer sell this model but here's a voucher for a free test drive.

That my friends is why real is best.

Read a book...pass it on.
  • 95% Kindle, but rather like buying the odd vinyl, I still occasionally buy a book if I think it somehow will be important enough to me to physically hold, and to keep on the bookcase. Robert Peston's WTF was the last such.

One disadvantage of a digital book comes when you remember something you want to go back and refer to in the book. e.g. I remembered thanks to the Spiegel article on RD that I have Rafa Honigstein's last book on Kindle. Now I want to see whether he specifically laid out how the German club ownership system works. Where do I start on my Kindle? I am sure I can do it, but it seems daunting. With a book you just somehow pick it up and flick through it.
  • Always was resistant to a kindle but caved a couple of years ago. Read a few books on it and can see what everyone says about convenience etc. But for me it’s just not the same so went back to reading physical books only - haven’t picked up the kindle for over 12 months now.
  • 95% Kindle, but rather like buying the odd vinyl, I still occasionally buy a book if I think it somehow will be important enough to me to physically hold, and to keep on the bookcase. Robert Peston's WTF was the last such.

One disadvantage of a digital book comes when you remember something you want to go back and refer to in the book. e.g. I remembered thanks to the Spiegel article on RD that I have Rafa Honigstein's last book on Kindle. Now I want to see whether he specifically laid out how the German club ownership system works. Where do I start on my Kindle? I am sure I can do it, but it seems daunting. With a book you just somehow pick it up and flick through it.

The search function should help.

I also love the built in dictionary, which is especially useful for my wife, as English is her 2nd language
  • MrOneLung said:

Kindle. Got the original 3G one back in 2010
    Love it.

Only pay for a few authors now, mainly read free books or get 10 thrillers for 99p etc

Opens up the door to so many new authors and cannot be beaten for reading with one hand holding on when standing up on the tube. Finish a book by an author you have never read before and boom, download another of their books in seconds.

Can preorder titles to be delivered when released. Can store the books in folders- I have mine listed by ratings so I can look back at the higher rated books and search for new material.
    Holidays are a godsend- one little device rather than 4 hefty books.

Don’t understand ‘the feeling of turning a page’ - what feeling? Have never thought ‘I wish i had to flip this page over rather than pushing this button’

If there isn’t something you’d dont understand on the page you can look it up.

In short, would never go back to buying physically books.

Must admit, I find that very useful.

So much so that, without thinking, I even try it on printed books ... for some reason, it doesn’t work :wink:
  • Books for me for most of the reasons stated above. Mind you, I ordered two books from Amazon that came in A4 size.
    Whats that all about, Considering I do most of my reading on the train or on holidays not very convenient. Equally the books are not easy reads.
    People who swear by a Kindle will say, well that serves you bloody well right!
  • Don't have a Kindle, I can see the practicality of it though. As others say I like the physicality of a book, but I tend not to keep them anymore due to space. When we moved out here I jettisoned hundreds of novels, and realised that I had not read again - and would not read again - 99% of them. A few big favourites I kept, and still would, but now I just pass most of them on.

That said, nearly had a crisis this week when I had almost run out of books before my next "batch" arrive (my birthday at the end of the month, and the return from abroad of my main book-swop mate). Luckily another pal has the complete collection of Peter James' "Roy Grace" novels, so I have one of those to tide me over.

The idea of instant access to the next book in the series that Kindle allows is very tempting too.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's a bit misty eyes and romance this whole thing about physically turning a page. Don't get me wrong, I get the whole thing about gifting people books but if someone gave me a book, I've then got to find somewhere to keep it, and because it was a gift I can't really take it to the charity shop of library when I've finished as that would be ungrateful. There is a shop in Rochester high street called Baggins and it is the biggest used book shop in the country. You old book sniffers should spend a few hours in there l, the place stinks! It does have some very interesting books on the shelves though and you can lose a couple of hours shuffling along the rows and floors.

My wife bought me a kindle in 2011 and I haven't looked back, I now read more than when I was a young kid, and discovered more authors than I would have otherwise done. I tolerate her love of shite tv by reading and it keeps my brain from dissolving. I could also read some books such as the abominable fifty shades of grey purely so I could see what the fuss was about (written like a sixth form English student with a fascination for domestic abuse, truly appalling writing)

The only minus points with kindles is I imagine Amazon take a massive slice of the sales, I doubt succesful authors are the millionaires they once were like musicians and performers and authors probably have to spend less time signing books

Ebooks are the future, kindles are dirt cheap now too, give one a go. I bet you hate people who say they don't like curry when they have never tried it (much like the readers of badly written grot like 50 shades of grey, get all bubbly in the gusset reading about a girl being sodomized and lashed however will scream the house down if you try and slip a finger up the wrong un)

• kindle is the clear winner for reading in bed. don't get wifey moaning about the light being on and when I inevitably fall asleep halfway through a page I don't have to spend 5 minutes the next time I want to read it figuring out where I'd got up to