Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labour's Tom Watson 'reversed' type-2 diabetes through diet and exercise

Comments

• Options

rananegra said:

Leaving aside the political argument, these are horrendous numbers. The NHS is amputating 120 feet and toes a week://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1039848613780877313

well done to Watson BUT he is trying to make political gain here .. the effects of obesity, lack of exercise and too much booze and the subsequent risk of T2Diabetes have been well documented and publicised .. it's up to individuals and not governments and NHS bureaucrats to get things under control .. and Kearney asking if Labour would rid the country of the problem in one parliament ? .. is she serious or having a laugh ? ..
    Well, it's not just about the individuals though, is it? If sugary drinks are cheaper, there are loads of takeaways and it's difficult to get fresh veg, that's something the govt ought to have a view on, no? And take action on?
    A lot of people fall out of any form of regular exercise after they leave school or hit middle age. Promoting exercise and getting it into hard to reach areas would help. Health promotion budgets sit with local councils, who've had 10 years of austerity and at least two counties have gone bust: when faced with cuts to children's social care or health promotion, which one do you think gets the chop? The choices that we make as a society are relentlessly political.
    Fruit and vegetables are dirt cheap at your local Lidl or Aldi and what are 'hard to reach areas'? Eating correctly and doing moderate exercise aren't difficult tasks (fitness trackers cost under £20 ffs) and people making excuses for the lazy/stupid really doesn't do them any favours.
    An awful lot of people are overweight or obese and many will develop health related problems due to lack of exercise/poor diet. It's a problem across much of the Western world and there needs to be a cultural shift.

There are a variety of reasons for this and obesity seems to becoming normalised. Eating badly and not exercising has become the norm for a lot of people.
    Last time I was back in England it shocked me how little 'real food' is sold is supermarkets, it's all premade meals packed full of god knows what.

One night my sister and her friend said they'd 'cook a curry' it came straight out of a glass jar, once again, packed full of god knows what. Do people ever cook from scratch these days, or does everything just get shoved in the oven/microwave?

Me and Mrs AUN always cook from scratch and only use a microwave to pre-cook jacket potatoes before banging them in the oven to finish off. I can’t remember the last time I had a ‘ping’ meal but it was definitely years ago. Being vegan (yes, I know but it’s relevant to the point) I like to know exactly what goes into my food, being sure there’s no hidden animal products that can crop up in processed meals. Besides I don’t really like to think how long those microwave meals have been sitting in a freezer somewhere, preserved in god knows what. It helps that I only work three days a week so I have that bit more time to prepare food for a few days though I’d like to think I’d still make the effort if I was working longer hours.

• Options
    I mainly cook from scratch, but I know what I'm doing and quite enjoy it. Every ready meal or cook in sauce is chock full of preservatives, which mainly means sugar. We've got a generation unskilled in doing this and it's far easier to buy crap than things that are good; shops make more profit on processed food, so it's no surprise they push it so much.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    rananegra said:

I mainly cook from scratch, but I know what I'm doing and quite enjoy it. Every ready meal or cook in sauce is chock full of preservatives, which mainly means sugar. We've got a generation unskilled in doing this and it's far easier to buy crap than things that are good; shops make more profit on processed food, so it's no surprise they push it so much.

It's also far more expensive, I was lucky, one of my best friends at uni was a great cook and taught me a lot, I now love cooking and do at least 50% of The cooking in my house.

I love my daily trip to the market.

Teaching cooking (seriously) at school would be a great step forward.
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45495384

Keeping politics completely out of this, really impressive to lose 7 stone, he looks so much better now. Type 2 Diabetes is becoming a massive health issue now, with so many people being seriously overweight, and he's shown how for many it can be reversed

PWR

being fat made him ill, losing weight made him better.

he's not exactly found a cure for aids.
  • Options

rananegra said:

Leaving aside the political argument, these are horrendous numbers. The NHS is amputating 120 feet and toes a week://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1039848613780877313

well done to Watson BUT he is trying to make political gain here .. the effects of obesity, lack of exercise and too much booze and the subsequent risk of T2Diabetes have been well documented and publicised .. it's up to individuals and not governments and NHS bureaucrats to get things under control .. and Kearney asking if Labour would rid the country of the problem in one parliament ? .. is she serious or having a laugh ? ..
    Well, it's not just about the individuals though, is it? If sugary drinks are cheaper, there are loads of takeaways and it's difficult to get fresh veg, that's something the govt ought to have a view on, no? And take action on?
    A lot of people fall out of any form of regular exercise after they leave school or hit middle age. Promoting exercise and getting it into hard to reach areas would help. Health promotion budgets sit with local councils, who've had 10 years of austerity and at least two counties have gone bust: when faced with cuts to children's social care or health promotion, which one do you think gets the chop? The choices that we make as a society are relentlessly political.
    Fruit and vegetables are dirt cheap at your local Lidl or Aldi and what are 'hard to reach areas'? Eating correctly and doing moderate exercise aren't difficult tasks (fitness trackers cost under £20 ffs) and people making excuses for the lazy/stupid really doesn't do them any favours.
    An awful lot of people are overweight or obese and many will develop health related problems due to lack of exercise/poor diet. It's a problem across much of the Western world and there needs to be a cultural shift.

There are a variety of reasons for this and obesity seems to becoming normalised. Eating badly and not exercising has become the norm for a lot of people.
    Last time I was back in England it shocked me how little 'real food' is sold is supermarkets, it's all premade meals packed full of god knows what.

One night my sister and her friend said they'd 'cook a curry' it came straight out of a glass jar, once again, packed full of god knows what. Do people ever cook from scratch these days, or does everything just get shoved in the oven/microwave?

Me and Mrs AUN always cook from scratch and only use a microwave to pre-cook jacket potatoes before banging them in the oven to finish off. I can’t remember the last time I had a ‘ping’ meal but it was definitely years ago. Being vegan (yes, I know but it’s relevant to the point) I like to know exactly what goes into my food, being sure there’s no hidden animal products that can crop up in processed meals. Besides I don’t really like to think how long those microwave meals have been sitting in a freezer somewhere, preserved in god knows what. It helps that I only work three days a week so I have that bit more time to prepare food for a few days though I’d like to think I’d still make the effort if I was working longer hours.

Oh....aren’t you wonderful.
  • Options

rananegra said:

Oh....aren’t you wonderful.

I try to be SoundAs :blush:
  • Options

rananegra said:

I agree and at the same time there are also so many more places to buy tempting crap. Petrol stations, newsagents, ubiquitous cafes with loads of sweet stuff. And very few easy ways to buy healthy fresh stuff. I find it really difficult when in the UK not to succumb.

• Options

rananegra said:

I agree and at the same time there are also so many more places to buy tempting crap. Petrol stations, newsagents, ubiquitous cafes with loads of sweet stuff. And very few easy ways to buy healthy fresh stuff. I find it really difficult when in the UK not to succumb.

It's really interesting reading this

For me, yes there are tons of fast and easy options to eat. I could get away with eating shit when I was younger and doing much more physical jobs.

What annoys me is the amount of sugar in things where it shouldn't be. Sauces for savoury food for example. I've made hundreds of pasta sauces and chillis and not once have I thought it necessary to put sugar in them, yet even Jamie Oliver the pariah of fatsos everywhere is guilty of it.

As a start I'd be inclined to make all soft drink options in pubs, restaurants, cinemas, anywhere. Sugar free. That way at least people can have the option not to rot their teeth or make their blood resemble sludge and can request the full fat version. A few people already on this thread have identified that by dropping sugar out of their diets they lost weight amazingly.

When me and my wife get the pleasure of the food shopping we are disheartened at the amount of stuff that is packed with sugar and saturated fat. Fine, we have a choice but it just seems dishonest and takes bloody ages looking at the nutritional information on the labels, the red amber green a lot of places use is helpful but as a nation we are grotesquely malnourished and ill informed about nutrition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is sugar free (using sugar substitutes) really that much better?

Genuinely do not know.
  • Options

Genuinely do not know.

Steer clear of artificial sweeteners like Aspartame and it’s ilk. They’re poison to the system.
  • Options

Genuinely do not know.

Diet and sugar free drinks are infinitely better than regular versions
  • Options
    Saw him on Newsnight and thought it that the lefty fat bloke.

To be fair, to the general public I think he looks a lot more professional and part of an electable party. Shame about the leader.
  • Options
    I accept that a lot of type 2 is caused by obesity, but its by no means clear that all of it is. I for example have been a keen cyclist my whole life, and never been out of my safe BMI range. The year before I was diagnosed I got down to about 11 stone (I'm 5'9") and about 14% body fat, after doing an exercise programme at the gym mainly to support my Mrs who was doing the programme. At the end of that I felt very good, its an amazing feeling when you are that fit, not quite a six pack but getting there..

Some of it may also be genetics creating a predisposition, and it all starts to surface in your forties.. but also modern diets which have too much refined carbs and sugar which bombard the pancreas with blood sugar spikes, damaging its performance and also causing Insulin resistance like a drug. Other causes may be where we carry fat and what type agreed.

In answer to @PragueAddick I have done a lot of research on the condition read a lot and watched a lot of documentaries, plus see above about body fat percentage. I also had my visceral fat measured but it was in the gym and I'm not sure how accurate those machines are.

Even if your diet is good and your weight is middle of your BMI, get yourself regularly tested once you hit your forties.

(sorry for any repetition)

R
  • Options
    If you are a type 2 this is worth a read about how even 20 minutes brisk walking can immediately bring down your blood sugar as the muscles use glucose directly without insulin https://diabetesstrong.com/how-to-lower-your-blood-sugar-with-exercise/

for many of us its a daily battle, so get a fitbit and maybe a dog or an exercise bike and do 20 minutes into the cardio zone twice a day, it can literally extend your life.

The article also suggests resistance training can improve insulin sensitivity for up to 48 hours (this sort of exercise wont help immediately lower bs though as it can actually increase bs levels)
  • Options
    Deputy Labour leader Tom Watson told Today he was "not surprised" by the allegations and anyone engaging in such behaviour must have the "full force of the law" applied to them.

"If this does one thing, it will silence a small number of people, who still believe that anti-Semitism doesn't exist in my party or in other parties, and that hampers the campaign to try and deal with this problem as quickly and as swiftly and as forcefully as we can," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46070229

@kentaddick
  • Options

Genuinely do not know.

Steer clear of artificial sweeteners like Aspartame and it’s ilk. They’re poison to the system.
    NOT conclusively proven.

• Options

Genuinely do not know.

NOT conclusively proven.

I’m sure there was a time where it wasn’t conclusively proven that radiation wasn’t a danger to humans. You crack on consuming it, I’ll pass thanks.

• Options

Genuinely do not know.

NOT conclusively proven.

I’m sure there was a time where it wasn’t conclusively proven that radiation wasn’t a danger to humans. You crack on consuming it, I’ll pass thanks.

What's the alternative? This isn't a question to get a rise or reaction, I don't know. We have diet squash and soft drinks thinking they are preferable to ones stacked with sugar but if they are fucking us up too is it bottled water only as the option?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

Genuinely do not know.

NOT conclusively proven.

What's the alternative? This isn't a question to get a rise or reaction, I don't know. We have diet squash and soft drinks thinking they are preferable to ones stacked with sugar but if they are fucking us up too is it bottled water only as the option?

To be honest I have no idea. I only drink black coffee and vodka.

• Options
    Carter said:

Genuinely do not know.

NOT conclusively proven.

He's only talking about aspartame. Sweeteners like Sweetex and Hermesetas are saccharin & are safe.
  • Options

Carter said:

Genuinely do not know.

NOT conclusively proven.

He's only talking about aspartame. Sweeteners like Sweetex and Hermesetas are saccharin & are safe.
    Until a group of doctors (financed and employed by producers and suppliers of aspartame and it’s by products), make a claim that saccharin is more dangerous.
    Round and round goes the wheel.

• Options

Carter said:

Genuinely do not know.

NOT conclusively proven.

Until a group of doctors (financed and employed by producers and suppliers of aspartame and it’s by products), make a claim that saccharin is more dangerous.
    Round and round goes the wheel.

Kinda. However, there is a lot of evidence (most of it anecdotal, admittedly) that aspartame does horrendous things to your brain chemistry. Certainly enough doubt about its safety to be cautious around its use, and for there to be large-scale independent clinical trials conducted (fought against for years by Monsanto, aided and abetted by shitbirds like Donald Rumsfeld, and still now being lobbied against by the new owners of the patent). However, certainly nothing in the way of clinical 'proof' yet.
  • Options
    Silly bollocks here has only gone and caught type 2, not the cleverest thing to have done with my other health issues.

Time to get back to it and lose some lumber again. Hoping to do 6st overall, 4st by Christmas. 
  • Options
    Silly bollocks here has only gone and caught type 2, not the cleverest thing to have done with my other health issues.

Time to get back to it and lose some lumber again. Hoping to do 6st overall, 4st by Christmas. 
    Good luck. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I know 3 people who have reversed Type II through diet and exercise. Eventually were able to get off all medicine. Usually it’s the same routine... mainly plant based diet with occasional lean meat. Little to no alcohol, no gluten, no sugar. Walking 45 min a day 3-4 days per week. Took 18-24 months.
  • Options
    I think @razil can share a bit about combatting diabetes successfully, if I recall rightly. 
  • Options
    I know 3 people who have reversed Type II through diet and exercise. Eventually were able to get off all medicine. Usually it’s the same routine... mainly plant based diet with occasional lean meat. Little to no alcohol, no gluten, no sugar. Walking 45 min a day 3-4 days per week. Took 18-24 months.
    My wife and I have both reversed Type 2 and in the process lost a combined 8 stone.
    The answer for us was a Ketogenic diet.
    I could eulogise or preach the benefits but I decided never to pressure anybody to try it as it is not (currently) supported by the medical profession.
    My advice is to Google it and read up on the science.
  • Options
    My wife and I have both reversed Type 2 and in the process lost a combined 8 stone.
    The answer for us was a Ketogenic diet.
    I could eulogise or preach the benefits but I decided never to pressure anybody to try it as it is not (currently) supported by the medical profession.
    My advice is to Google it and read up on the science.
    Excellent documentary on Netflix about it called "The Magic Pill"