Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Roland has backed me'-Bowyer

13»

Comments

• Options

if under Duchatelet's ownership we won the prem and the euro league, there are many on here who'd still like to see him hanging by his neck outside the main ticket office (or anywhere for that matter)

Dream on Lincs. Much more chance of suffering a double relegation into non-league.
  • Options
    Let’s be honest for a moment, if Roland had really backed Lee Bowyer, then he would have had all the players he wanted BEFORE the season started, and we would have more points on the board, and be higher up in the table.

5 subs on the bench against Sunderland is a complete mickey take.

I know managers do it to prove a point to their bosses that they need more signings, and maybe Lee did it on purpose, and perhaps if he didn’t do it, we wouldn’t have got them.

I wouldn’t read too much into this / be too upset about it, he’s just sucking up to his boss.

IMO we’re Miles off a takeover, I’m sure it will all come up again in December, and we’ll go through it all again.

Lee needs to keep Roly onside so we can bring some players onboard in January, when we inevitably sell one of our best players again.
  • Options

Let’s be honest for a moment, if Roland had really backed Lee Bowyer, then he would have had all the players he wanted BEFORE the season started, and we would have more points on the board, and be higher up in the table.

I know managers do it to prove a point to their bosses that they need more signings, and maybe Lee did it on purpose, and perhaps if he didn’t do it, we wouldn’t have got them.

I wouldn’t read too much into this / be too upset about it, he’s just sucking up to his boss.

IMO we’re Miles off a takeover, I’m sure it will all come up again in December, and we’ll go through it all again.

Lee needs to keep Roly onside so we can bring some players onboard in January, when we inevitably sell one of our best players again.

Even though West Ham wouldn't release Cullen to go out on loan until when they did. Is that down to Bowyer not being backed to get his man or is that down to West Ham not deciding to let Cullen go until late on?

I do agree though the bench at Sunderland was a farce. The other thing to keep in mind though was how much room was there on the wage bill to sign players if we were really close to breaching FFP or whatever it's equivalent is in League One. In which case the decks would have to have been cleared first before signings came in.

Of course that's not to say RD couldn't have allowed some money to be spent if that's what is meant by 'backing' Bowyer but there's probably more to it than perhaps we've been made aware of.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I sort of understand what he means by saying that Roland has backed him in the transfer market, in the sense that he clearly agreed a transfer/wages budget for the season with Roland, and Roland kept to it. It might not be what we would have wanted or indeed what Bowyer back in May might have wanted, but it was agreed between them

I think he was a bit misguided to repeat the comments about Roland caring though
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Not sure you can count keeping 2 of your own players as 2 more in either, but I get your point.

If people are counting loanees amongst the people leaving the club after last season (including the January ones like Zyro, Kaikai and Mavididi) then it's only fair to count Karlan and Igor as additions to this year's squad.
  • Options
    Gobinson is a cnut

Bowyer is quality
  • Options

Croydon said:

Not sure you can count keeping 2 of your own players as 2 more in either, but I get your point.

If people are counting loanees amongst the people leaving the club after last season (including the January ones like Zyro, Kaikai and Mavididi) then it's only fair to count Karlan and Igor as additions to this year's squad.
    No, this year’s loans are the equivalent of last year’s loans, not players the club chose not to have available last season.
  • Options
    A few things I take from that:

1. I wouldn’t take what he says too seriously. About the same time last year Robinson was equally supportive of ‘Mr President ‘, and had earlier done numerous similar press pieces. By the end of winter he was mouthing off about Roland to whoever would listen in the car park

2. I do take what Bowyer says at face value though. There was no fire sale as many feared, and the squad come the end of the window I believe to be a strong one in this league. Personally I think he is underplaying the excellence him and Gallen have done in securing the players they have. But if they are the players they wanted, and they got them signed, then he is being accurate in saying Roland backed him.

3. Bowyer is new to management and possibly a bit more naive and accepting in what tools he has been given to work with than a more experienced manager. He also isn’t one to look at the bigger picture and I suspect very much treats people at face value. So if he insinuates his relationship with Roland is good, I believe him.

4. I have a real genuine fear that Roland’s ‘investment’ in Bowyer is going to reignite his interest to ‘carry on’ and not consider lowering his valuation, particularly if results continue to improve. I’m a big Bowyer fan and really rate the job he has done so far. There’s a good chance Roland may equally feel the same and Katie Mk II may well be on the cards.

In which case, he is going nowhere this season :-(
  • Options

Croydon said:

No, this year’s loans are the equivalent of last year’s loans, not players the club chose not to have available last season.
    What I mean is that if people are counting Kaikai as one of the squad members we've lost since the playoffs, then Karlan has to be considered a squad addition. After all one effectively replaced the other last January
  • Options
    Just sell the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Gobinson is a cnut

Bowyer is quality

Very well put sir.
  • Options
    clive said:

Robinson signed a 2 and a half year contract when he became manager. No idea of this 6 month rolling scenario
  • Options
    clive said:
    .....and there we have it. Bows has got what he wanted from Rolly and backs himself to succeed. The players should be very impressed with the faith he has with all of them.

I am sure that the vast majority of supporters will get right behind him and the team, even if for some that means just at away games.
  • Options

Even though West Ham wouldn't release Cullen to go out on loan until when they did. Is that down to Bowyer not being backed to get his man or is that down to West Ham not deciding to let Cullen go until late on?

I do agree though the bench at Sunderland was a farce. The other thing to keep in mind though was how much room was there on the wage bill to sign players if we were really close to breaching FFP or whatever it's equivalent is in League One. In which case the decks would have to have been cleared first before signings came in.

Of course that's not to say RD couldn't have allowed some money to be spent if that's what is meant by 'backing' Bowyer but there's probably more to it than perhaps we've been made aware of.
    From what was reported after the Bromley meeting, we're not even paying all his wages and Cullen only came to us because he wanted to play for Bowyer because of the West Ham connection.
    That's not what i'd call backing from Roland. Cullen could've easily gone to Scunthorpe who were willing to pay all his wages.
  • Options

From what was reported after the Bromley meeting, we're not even paying all his wages and Cullen only came to us because he wanted to play for Bowyer because of the West Ham connection.
    That's not what i'd call backing from Roland. Cullen could've easily gone to Scunthorpe who were willing to pay all his wages.
    I don't doubt that at all and thanks for the insight shared from the Bromley meeting.

But the fact remains if Bowyer wanted Cullen and Cullen wanted to join us even just because of Bowyer, the deal would still be subject to West Ham making him available whenever it suited them. In the end Bowyer wanted Cullen and he got his man.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Roland asked Bowyer to publicly back him!