Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bolton announce administration

Comments

• Don’t particularly like Bolton, but I do have respect for Parkinson and Magennis, so I hope that they’re being paid and will be okay coming out of this mess. Parkinson in particular has had a torrid time with being involved with poorly run and financial problems at clubs.

Therefore, I hope Parkinson and Magennis come out of this debacle unscathed, but the rest of Bolton, I just don’t really like them, but I don’t know why.
  • Championship side Bolton Wanderers will appear in the High Court on 20 March after being issued a winding-up petition by HM Revenue & Customs.

The petition, which was filed on 4 February, was published on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, owner Ken Anderson said in a statement that heads of terms were agreed and discussions were ongoing with a consortium to buy the club.

Anderson said in January that he was "doing his utmost" to find a buyer amid fan protests.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47306565

• Aussies?
  • Bolton's training ground has been shut as there is no food available and staff at the Championship club have been told not to come in, Sky Sports News understands.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11672/11655037/boltons-training-ground-closed-as-no-food-available
  • Err, they could still train without food. Strange reason given.
  • Parky and his players will have to bring their food from home.
  • Surprised a local pie stall can’t fill the void
  • The group who was thought to be buying them, have had second thoughts
  • ross1 said:
    The group who was thought to be buying them, have had second thoughts
    They saw the sell by date on the pies?
  • ross1 said:
    probably thinking they are better off letting the administrators go to town on the debt and pick the club up for much less and no debt.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    probably thinking they are better off letting the administrators go to town on the debt and pick the club up for much less and no debt.
    Possibly but the points deduction will almost certainly be implemented next season rather than this.
  • Somehow they managed to get £3m for Zach Clough from Forest. He can't get even get in the Rochdale team at the moment. 

Their financial predicament makes it even more surprising that they didn't go through with the sale of Oztumer.
  • I 100% hope they win next Saturday. 
    That's it. 
  • There will be no water for the kids next. What a shambles.

If the players are not paid I believe they are free to leave. Could get a player for next season cheap.
  • clive said:
    Bolton's training ground has been shut as there is no food available and staff at the Championship club have been told not to come in, Sky Sports News understands.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11672/11655037/boltons-training-ground-closed-as-no-food-available
    Err, they could still train without food. Strange reason given.
    Just speculating as I have no knowledge of the legalities, but I’d imagine the club is bound by law to have food and drink available when the nature of their business involves people burning a lot of energy and requiring hydration?
  • edited March 2019
    I believe in the next financial downturn we will see up to 20% of all clubs below the Championship go belly up and most will not get bought, but will cease to exist. There are not enough rich people to support this many clubs with these kinds of annual losses in a country of 60 million. Especially given that outside of the lower clubs’ own fan bases, there is not a lot of interest for anything but the Premier League, as evidenced by TV contracts. 
    The same has been said for about 50 years & only a very few have ever gone belly up.
    Although, you can't be wrong with up to 20%, as 1% falls into that category.
    You are right that few ever do. But clubs lose a lot more money now than they did just 5-10 years ago and this makes it less sustainable. More rich people are smartening up about the black hole that is English football below the riches of the PL and especially below a handful of Championship clubs with historical above average fan bases (Wolves, Leeds, etc.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely the EFL will step up to the plate with this one and buy them?
    Sorry mate you know that's not possible.

It would be a conflict of interest if they are buying us :smile:
  • clive said:
    Bolton's training ground has been shut as there is no food available and staff at the Championship club have been told not to come in, Sky Sports News understands.
    Err, they could still train without food. Strange reason given.
    Just speculating as I have no knowledge of the legalities, but I’d imagine the club is bound by law to have food and drink available when the nature of their business involves people burning a lot of energy and requiring hydration?
    Tap water is fine. A lot of clubs charge the players for food. 

Plus of course most footballers should be able to at least least make themselves a sandwich.

They could start their own league!

See, that’s where Roland is such a visionary. Get us to the front of the queue. 
  • game against millwall saturday in doubt due to safety as greater manchester police have an unpaid bill, what would happen if they failed to complete a season?, for example all of the teams who have won points against them etc. 
  • game against millwall saturday in doubt due to safety as greater manchester police have an unpaid bill, what would happen if they failed to complete a season?, for example all of the teams who have won points against them etc. 
    Their results would be removed I believe.
  • Bolton Wanderers have until 13:00 GMT on Wednesday to assure the local council that they have adequate safety provision for Saturday's Championship game against Millwall.

Bolton Council, the club, local police and ambulance services met on Tuesday amid concerns Wanderers may not provide sufficient stewarding for the match.

Greater Manchester Police are also owed money by the club for policing matches.

"We are hopeful a resolution will be found," a council statement said.

"The club has recently been unable to demonstrate it can meet the legal conditions of the ground's safety certificate.

"After consultation with all members of the Safety Advisory Group, the council has taken the decision to give the club 24 hours to address all safety concerns, otherwise we will reluctantly issue a prohibition notice.

"We understand some fans may be alarmed by this news, but the council is bound by legal process and we are not prepared to risk public safety by allowing any event to go ahead without proper resources in place."

Bolton, who are 23rd in the Championship, said in a statement that they have "provided written assurances that they are able to meet the legal conditions."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47457750

Why would you need a police presence when playing millwall.

Oh hang on a minute.