Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akinfenwa Yesterday.

Comments

• Options
    I think that is fair, and football ability has probably been a major factor in that!
  • Options
    kenhem said:

For a big guy he didn't win too much in the air but when he had it at his feet he generally found a teammate with a pass. I can see why he's carved a career at this level but not progressed any higher. I think he deserves respect for what he's achieved.

He's not tall though, only 5' 11. Probably 5'11 wide too!
  • Options
    I had never seen him in real life before and assumed he was just a big lump who holds it up and wins a lot in the air etc but I was surprised how good his touch and link up play was. Fair play to him.
  • Options
    I thought he was very good in the first half, linking up play and barely wasting a ball - especially as he was up against two of the best central defenders in the division.

Like his team, though, he ran out of steam as the game wore on although, in his case, at least he had the excuse of being several years older than his colleagues (Mackail-Smith excepted).
  • Options
    Sure I read somewhere 14 of his 18 Goals last year were headers.
    Thought we didn’t screen him enough first half, and was too eager to beat him to the ball, which wouldn’t happen due to the size. Second half Pearce sussed him, and started to nick the ball in front of him.
  • Options

He isn't going to get behind you and is slow and doesn't last long!

My wife says the same about my sexual performance
    She says the same thing about me too, she has very exacting standards!
  • Options
    Standby my comments from beginning of season. 

This geezer was top drawer last night. 

Doffs cap again. 
  • Options
    I thought he was brilliant last night, made it very difficult for our back 4 and won stuff he had no right to, a credit a Wycombe side whoe played with spirit, commitment and I hope stay up.
  • Options
    He played the full 90 minutes too, and it wasn't as if he didn't do any running either. There's a great moment from him around the 47 second mark in the highlights

https://www.skysports.com/football/wycombe-vs-charlton/393562
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought he was decent last night, their 25 was good as well. Glad the 11 fell over when clean through as he non pulled up socks bugged me.
  • Options
    Always impressed with the amount of headers he wins in the box from different angles. I know he’s big (massive even) but he’s not the tallest and the number of times the ball comes in to him 5 or 6 yards away and he still connects with it.
  • Options
    Liked how he laughed at the banter he got 

your tits are offside 
  • Options
    Watching the highlights back on Valley Pass, it looks to me he got away with more than his fair share of shoves in the backs of defenders. This is a skill most decent target men possess, though, to be fair.
  • Options
    Great career and a proper handful.

Respect.
  • Options
    He should be in an idiomatic dictionary under the entry for 'good touch for a big lad'
  • Options
    Always nice to watch a professional footballer who wears a larger X+ shirt than me. 
  • Options
    Watching the highlights back on Valley Pass, it looks to me he got away with more than his fair share of shoves in the backs of defenders. This is a skill most decent target men possess, though, to be fair.
    A lot of the challenges to me seemed more to be defenders bouncing off him rather than shoves!
  • Options
    A lot of the challenges to me seemed more to be defenders bouncing off him rather than shoves!
    Well I think that’s partly why he gets away with it, referees think the same thing, but there were definitely a few unpunished pushes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love watching him, he has a great first touch and good awareness. But he’s a master at the little shove, and when you’re shoved by Akinfenwa, you stay shoved. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Love watching him, he has a great first touch and good awareness. But he’s a master at the little shove, and when you’re shoved by Akinfenwa, you stay shoved. 
    I still reckon I could have him.
    I'll hold your coat mate 😉.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    I still reckon I could have him.
    I think you're right.  Get in there. 
  • Options
    Definitely a one-off as a player.
  • Options
    _nam11 said:
    Sure I read somewhere 14 of his 18 Goals last year were headers. Thought we didn’t screen him enough first half, and was too eager to beat him to the ball, which wouldn’t happen due to the size. Second half Pearce sussed him, and started to nick the ball in front of him.
    I'm sure Bowyer would have been well aware of this. That's why our defensive line was so far up the pitch. They're heavily dependent on him and he's not the sort of player to be making threatening runs.
  • Options
    I was impressed with him. Not that mobile but good control and was a threat all game. He can’t be easy to play against. 
  • Options
    Reminds me of the sort of player that as an 11 year old i'd turn up on a sunday morning to find out i was marking and i'd think hang the fuck on, this kid is at least 17.
    Reminds me of playing Sunday football and one of my mates who was taller (and i’m 6’1”) and a lot wider. One week we had a friendly match. He and I were both playing as central defenders (in the days before I found out I could score more goals playing as a forward - go on Nabby, you know you can). Anyway the first half was a bit one sided as nothing was getting past us. It was a friendly so to make a game of it the solution was to split us up and I went and played on the other team. At one point, out of frustration of watching my new team mates bounce off my mate for the umpteenth time I had to scream at them ‘ffs, try going around him, not through him’. A bit like Costa, he never had to move much because he was like a magnet to a forward with the ball, they always went to him, and lost.