Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 3 Wycombe 2 - POST MATCH THREAD 08/09/18

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018
    ————Phillips————
    —-Pearce Bauer Sarr——
    Solly———————Page
    ———Bielik Cullen———
    ————Fosu—————
    ———Taylor Grant———

Bench: Steer, Djiksteel, Aribo, Reeves, Vetokele, Ward, Lapslie

Promotion standard no doubt. Also Clarke returning at some point
  • Options

————Phillips————
    —-Pearce Bauer Sarr——
    Solly———————Page
    ———Aribo Cullen———
    ————Fosu—————
    ———Taylor Grant———

Bench: Steer, Djiksteel, Marshall, Reeves, Vetokele, Ward, Lapslie

No Bielek? Absolute madness.
  • Options

————Phillips————
    —-Pearce Bauer Sarr——
    Solly———————Page
    ———Aribo Cullen———
    ————Fosu—————
    ———Taylor Grant———

Bench: Steer, Djiksteel, Marshall, Reeves, Vetokele, Ward, Lapslie

No Bielek? Absolute madness.
    Completely forgot about him. Think our squads too good for once. I’ll edit my post
  • Options
    Its because of that attempt that makes me so surprised when he dithered when clear on goal and ended up hurting himself with the Goalkeeper collision

Why didnt he just put his laces through the ball when it dropped over his shoulder
  • Options
    Missing some key players so maybe a little fortunate we played Wycombe, where yesterday's performance was good enough! Worrying how we always concede when we sit back. Until we crack this, I think we are better off not sitting back at any stage of the game!
  • Options

Its because of that attempt that makes me so surprised when he dithered when clear on goal and ended up hurting himself with the Goalkeeper collision

Why didnt he just put his laces through the ball when it dropped over his shoulder

Tried to chip him.
  • Options
    Was impressed by their Randell Williams. Looking at wiki, he's been released by Spurs and Palace, then signed to Watford from where he's been loaned to Wycombe. He looked a class above their other players
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Was impressed by their Randell Williams. Looking at wiki, he's been released by Spurs and Palace, then signed to Watford from where he's been loaned to Wycombe. He looked a class above their other players

Agree with you: Williams is lithe and slippery, a constant threat. And Pratley knew it; slightly ironic that he himself got injured too. Nice to see Craig Mackail-Smith again, albeit well past his best. He was always dangerous in the Posh side that had George Boyd (ex-Charlton) pulling the strings in advanced midfield. Mackail-Smith went to Brighton for about £3m, but suffered a serious injury and has slipped down the leagues with a return to Posh, Luton, and now Wycombe.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, he did well for the goal. Looked a bit lightweight but definitely has something.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

There's a lot of confusion as to whether the second goal was assisted by Reeves (what I thought I saw, sitting 10 yards away) or Bauer (what the official Twitter feed thought) - what's the consensus?

Reeves, comes off the defender, Sarr, then Sarr puts it in. The game's too easy for our Naby. Start him in goal next weekend to give him a challenge.
    That was the third goal. Bauer assisted the second which Taylor scored.
  • Options

All in all a good afternoon out. Not the best game of football you'll ever see but beats shopping at Bluewater or doing the gardening.

Blimey. I thought your spot of gardening was a flash in the pan. Don't tell me you've done even more! I don't know what's got into you. Optimism, gardening - whatever next?
  • Options

Agree with you: Williams is lithe and slippery, a constant threat. And Pratley knew it; slightly ironic that he himself got injured too. Nice to see Craig Mackail-Smith again, albeit well past his best. He was always dangerous in the Posh side that had George Boyd (ex-Charlton) pulling the strings in advanced midfield. Mackail-Smith went to Brighton for about £3m, but suffered a serious injury and has slipped down the leagues with a return to Posh, Luton, and now Wycombe.

CMS is a nice guy aswell
  • Options
    PWW

I didn't go as was at the Oval, but MrsCat made one of her infrequent visits to the Valley (first time in a couple of years) and her observations were:
    1 Nice time pre-match in the Rose
    2 Can't believe how empty the ground looked
    3 Quite likes that 'Tate and Lyle' bloke
    4 Thought the two 'blond' substitutions changed the game as them and the aforementioned Tate and Lyle all seemed to play together well
    5 Reeves was the stand-out game changer
  • Options
    Sometimes you get a game where a player is more than a handful. I think Taylor can claim that in this one.
  • Options
    CatAddick said:

3 Quite likes that 'Tate and Lyle' bloke
    4 Thought the two 'blond' substitutions changed the game as them and the aforementioned Tate and Lyle all seemed to play together well

Oi, this is Charlton Aesthetic's turf you're on here ;)

• Options

If Phillips had been in goal he'd have been blamed for not saving their first goal.
    If Lennon had been playing he'd have been blamed for turning his back on the shot for the first goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

My take on it all.....

As pp have said......very flat first 30 mins - no midfield so defence had little option but to play long balls up to Taylor or down the channels. Pur equaliser may have been a bit lucky but a goal's a goal.....got us back in thr game & the 2nd half was a different proposition. Didn't notice we started the 2nd half with just 10 players....was it with the refs permission as I thought they always counted the players before each half ??

Reeves not my favourite player but must admit he did do well.....even though it took him about 5 mins to touch the ball once he came on. He made some decent pasess & was a link between defence & attack. Aribo doesn't do enough imo & once Cullen is back I'd imagine he'll be on the bench. I also think Beliek should be back in the side.....maybe instead of Prately (??) as the 3 cd today didnt do much wrong.

Motm for me was Taylor. Got injuried twice, but got up for more & gave their defenders the run around in the 2nd half. A bit unlucky with the clash with their keeper, but felt he should have hit the ball before it bounced.

All in all a good afternoon out. Not the best game of football you'll ever see but beats shopping at Bluewater or doing the gardening.

Ref counts the players to make sure you don’t have more than 11. I noticed straight away and we did ask the ref if we could wait and he quite rightly refused. We had the whole of half time to sort it out unless Ajose tripped and hurt himself in the tunnel or had to have a tea cup removed from his head.
    Bow must be mellowing in his old age, he's lucky it wasn't a chair :wink: .
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

cs1986 said:

Oggy Red said:

cs1986 said:

Have not read any comments. I watched on I follow and one thing I wanted to say is Reeves changed the game he was a class above everyone on pitch once he came on.

And great subs by bowyer today.

Bowyer said that he was really pleased with Reeves today - although someone on the Player Marks thread only gave him 4 out of 10.

Evidently Bowyer still has much to learn, when it comes to assessing the performance of his players.

Seriously someone rated him 4 Mate?? Wtf! He was outstanding.
    Yep.

Perhaps he's never liked Reeves - so marked him down, forgetting to assess the actual performance of the player in today's match?
    I dunno, it's all opinions of course.

You could always ask me.
  • Options
    You think thats bad
    @Viewfinder somehow managed to give Lapslie a 4
  • Options
  • Options

You think thats bad

There are plenty of posters who think a player is mustard simply because he came through the academy and gives "110 per cent" effort.

Lapslie crashes around like a bull in a china shop - without much effect. On Saturday he failed to pull the trigger when in on goal (no left foot?), and if you watched closely you'll have noticed he was bypassed several times in midfield.

We are in the third division because - whisper it - our players aren't very good.

• Options
    Well you watched a different game to me.You can only beat the opposition in front of you and I thought Lapslie was quality
  • Options
    Lapslie is a bit raw but is very promising. He is a busy player but that is a strength - yes he was bypassed a couple of times and yes he could have shot, but it was a decent run and he teed up Reeves who should have done better!
  • Options

You think thats bad

There are plenty of posters who think a player is mustard simply because he came through the academy and gives "110 per cent" effort.

Lapslie crashes around like a bull in a china shop - without much effect. On Saturday he failed to pull the trigger when in on goal (no left foot?), and if you watched closely you'll have noticed he was bypassed several times in midfield.

We are in the third division because - whisper it - our players aren't very good.

He also broke up play for Wycombe a good number of times and got us on the attack a good amount
  • Options

You think thats bad

Should have gone to Specsavers.....