Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 3 Wycombe 2 - POST MATCH THREAD 08/09/18

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Stig said:

When people are leaving the covered end walking down the stairs singing, you know we are getting our Charlton Back not had that for a while.

Roland fucks off
    Boycotters return

Charlton will be back

Still, for all that there's something we can agree on, 'fuck off, RolandRrro-lun!’
    Fixed
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    After a pretty poor 1st half we played some great stuff in second half. I thought Taylor & Lapslie were superb. It was a real shame that Taylor's great effort after a very good run from Grant never went in, it would have been a goal of the season contender.
  • Options
    Who are our best back 3 out of Sarr, Pearce, Bauer and Bielik?

Pearce has to be one, I reckon Bielik as well... leaves one spot for Either BFG or goal machine Sarr...
  • Options
    Opening stages it looked like we'd score at least three goals yet that quickly disappeared when Wycombe caught us sleeping with a quick throw in

Listened to Bowyer's comments on BBC London on the way home and he was right in saying that we looked nervous and scared when they went 1-0 up and thought that apart from the Sunderland game a few years ago (three own goals), these were the flukiest goals we've ever scored - All three were deserved though and when we got the equaliser I thought there would be only one winner

Akinfenwa was as I suspected, too big to be able to jump yet when he's got the ball at his feet he's a menace and will cause teams problems at this level

For Charlton I thought the game changed when Lapslie and Reeves came on as unlike any one else they put the opposition under pressure and gave them no time on the ball; Lapslie impressed me more than Reeves did actually and should have had a goal himself had he been confident enough to take a shot - With Ajose and Pratley out for a while (Bowyer's words on the radio not mine) I'd like to see us potentially start with Lapslie and Reeves in place of the two they came in for with Cullen replacing Aribo, the latter is certainly a good player but has dithered a bit on the ball the last few games he's played
  • Options

Opening stages it looked like we'd score at least three goals yet that quickly disappeared when Wycombe caught us sleeping with a quick throw in

Listened to Bowyer's comments on BBC London on the way home and he was right in saying that we looked nervous and scared when they went 1-0 up and thought that apart from the Sunderland game a few years ago (three own goals), these were the flukiest goals we've ever scored - All three were deserved though and when we got the equaliser I thought there would be only one winner

Akinfenwa was as I suspected, too big to be able to jump yet when he's got the ball at his feet he's a menace and will cause teams problems at this level

For Charlton I thought the game changed when Lapslie and Reeves came on as unlike any one else they put the opposition under pressure and gave them no time on the ball; Lapslie impressed me more than Reeves did actually and should have had a goal himself had he been confident enough to take a shot - With Ajose and Pratley out for a while (Bowyer's words on the radio not mine) I'd like to see us potentially start with Lapslie and Reeves in place of the two they came in for with Cullen replacing Aribo, the latter is certainly a good player but has dithered a bit on the ball the last few games he's played

I feared Pratley could be bad.

Before he went off he sat on the floor and threw his shinpad in frustration
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I feared Pratley could be bad.

Before he went off he sat on the floor and threw his shinpad in frustration
    Im actually less fussed about Pratley... Last two games I've thought that Lapslie has been better

Despite thinking his lunge today should have been red I think its good that we've got a player prepared to give away those fouls, there would have been a few goals saved over the last few years if we'd have had some nasty little prick of a player prepared to do what he did today
    His lunge today should have been a red
    His lunge v Southend should have been a red
  • Options

Good battling performance against a decent Wycombe side,we finished the game with 5 of our academy player(inc Solly) not many clubs can do that

Is that because not many clubs have 5 of our academy players (inc Solly) ?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Pearce has to be one, I reckon Bielik as well... leaves one spot for Either BFG or goal machine Sarr...

Bauer is currently better than Sarr... Sarr has the potential to be the better player though if he was more consistent

Bielik I wonder if he's better in Midfield as carries the ball well
  • Options

Pratley and Ajose were shocking.

Lapslie and Reeves made all the difference when they came on and Taylor had an excellent second half.

Conceded two poor goals and were pretty dire in the first half.

We can only get better.

100% this.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Didn't think Steer was an improvement on Phillips.
    The two lads that came on definitely changed the game both impressive.
    Don't really like the 3/5 at the back Solly is not a wingback.
    Game of two halves for Ariibo, not great first, excellent second.
    How on earth did we start the second half with only ten men very poor man management.
    Oh and the ref was fucking useless.
  • Options
    Wish I'd gone now.
  • Options
    Thought we were already looking likely to win with the way the game was swinging our way first half, but Reeves, and in particularly Lapslie added some energy and balanced the numbers a bit more in our favour in midfield. Taylor was the perfect no. 9 today, roughing up their centre backs, pulling players out wide, holding it up and bringing others into the games, and topped off with a scrappy right place right time goal.

Pearce outstanding too, had Akinfenwa in his pocket for most of the game. I’d still like more from Aribo (no goals or assists yet) but he showed his skills at times today. Happy for big Nabbs too, I’m less worried about a ricket than I used to be and know he seems to ha e put the calamity behind him he has cult hero written all over him.

Great to see the whole squad contributing.
  • Options
    Ajose was shocking in the first half. Misplaced passes, poor control, looked uninterested. Not sure why he just didn’t appear after 1/2 time - seemed to catch everyone out and we started with only 10 men on the pitch and Bowyer had to get Reeves ready without, what looked like, any warning...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We should be beating a newly promoted team in a stroll, but we know that there is no such thing in this league.
    Well done Bow, you deffo have what it takes to get a tune out of our players.
  • Options
    Charlton were lucky to get the first goal but it was the turning point as we were poor up until then. Taylor was shouted at by Bowyer for his first half and he turned it completely around in the second half; he is quicker and got a better goal threat than Magennis and so a definite imrovement. Grant is still not quite there. Reeves was very good and deserves a start soon. It seems Bowyer says the right things at half time. Lapslie and Reeves great subs . Ajose needs to get on his horse and ride out of town. I thought Phillips would probably have saved their first goal. From starting poor to finishing very good we deserved the three points
  • Options

Nah. Bielik takes Pratley’s place in midfield.
  • Options

We should be beating a newly promoted team in a stroll, but we know that there is no such thing in this league.
    Well done Bow, you deffo have what it takes to get a tune out of our players.

Charlton commentators were saying a hamstring injury, but was weird there were no subs, unless it happened on his way back the pitch.

Thought he was trying hard enough first half but was a different wavelength to everyone else. He couldn’t predict what team mates would do and vice versa. I don’t think he’s really good enough either, though.
  • Options

Stig said:

When people are leaving the covered end walking down the stairs singing, you know we are getting our Charlton Back not had that for a while.

Roland fucks off
    Boycotters return

Charlton will be back

Interesting perspective that Paulie. I didn't go but, as always, I'm glad we got a win. Last week I watched a great performance at Southend with a terrific atmosphere and a fine result for The Addicks. Despite that it doesn't feel to me that "we are getting our Charlton Back". To me, whatever happens on the pitch or on the terraces is still overshadowed by the fact that he is still here - if that's the right turn of phrase for a man who hasn't bothered to see Charlton for four years.

I feel so far from getting our Charlton back that I didn't even know who were playing today. In fact, it's worse than that. I came out of our local supermarket at about 3.15 today and turned the radio on in the car. They were talking about Wycombe. I didn't know we were playing them but I knew they were in our division and yet I still chose to put some music on instead of listen. All my life I have been interested in Charlton, for decades on end it has been an obsession, yet he has killed that. Are we getting our Charlton back? If it's just me that feels that way maybe we are, I strongly suspect that's not the case though. Attendances and apathy suggest it's far from just being me. My feelings won't change until we have an owner that cares. It's good that the team is winning, but we still have a club with no proper management that is being run by puppets who think they can renege on deals with staff. That is not 'our Charlton'.

I will maintain my boycott. There is no way that he's getting another penny out on me. I'll be back when he is gone. A couple of good wins in a low division and a bit of singing on the stairs is not enough to convince me we're getting our Charlton back.
    Stig mate, if you don't go and pay no interest in Charlton's games, it's not surprising you have little affinity to the club.
    The only way to get it back is to go along and support your team, before it's too late to ever get it back.
    I can't see what good it does you commenting on here week in week out, that you don't go and you won't go, until we are taken over. We all know you tell us constantly. All the best.
    Fair enough. I'll say no more.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Could see why we went 3 at the back to to match them but the 3 up top for us was leaving a massive gap in midfield and we was at times over run.

Pleasing thing though bowyer could see it and made the change and reeves had his best spell for 15 minutes in a Chsrlton shirt add Lapslie replacing a below par Pratley and us going a bit more direct changes the game and they was shit scared of Taylor who had the beating of them down the right.

All in all enjoyable win coyr
  • Options
    When’s Sarr getting knighted. Greatest footballer to ever put on the shirt
  • Options

When’s Sarr getting knighted. Greatest footballer to ever put on the shirt

I wouldn't quite go that far...but is much better than some give him credit for. Always the odd calamity waiting in the wings though...