Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer announced as permanent manager

Comments

• Options
    like bowyer, love the club but that poisonous ponce needs to go - v hard to be positive with him still in ownership personally cannot see him selling until end of season, would like to see more protests but "fans" will only moan that a packet of crisps stopped us from scoring - because that is whats important a goal instead of the future of our club.
  • Options
    Great news Bowyer has been made permanent but it begs the question of takeover as it was agreed originally he’d still remain caretaker while talks remain
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Football - the only industry where an eight-month short-term contract is announced as being "permanent"....

Exactly and that's why all the "this means that the takeover is off" talk is meaningless.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

seth plum said:

Good news

I hope Bow got everything in writing.

Don't worry - a club insider has leaked the contract.

Its watertight.
    That looks like an authentic document. There is no mention of "lodestar".
  • Options

Best caretaker since Derek Guyler in Please Sir ....
  • Options
    You can read it any way

I had a phone call telling me it's still on-------------- mind you it was PPi
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointed. When Bowyer took over we were 9th in League One. We are now 10th we've gone backwards!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Its probably been said on here already but when a contract to the end of May in any walk of life is a temporary contract. So come January/February with a few months guaranteed income to come, if was employed on this basis, I would be looking to jump ship ASAP.
    Nothing has changed as far as I can see, we've moved on from caretaker/temporary manager to temporary manager.

Although it is good to hear good news once again from our one and only Director Richard, I was beginning to think he had slipped off the face of the Earth.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

No coincidence this is announced on the day of the Bromley meeting.

It’s a shame he can’t celebrate his temporary pay rise with a beer with his mates but I’m sure he’ll be happy with a selfie with @Henry Irving instead
  • Options
    Great news, although I reckon this means RD is gonna be about until the end of the season at least....
  • Options

Best caretaker since Derek Guyler in Please Sir ....

That will have gone way over the heads of the under 50s on here GHF :smile:
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Pleased for him. I guess that's the end of the takeover for a while then, I doubt Roland would have done this if he was about to offload.

I don't think the two things are related.
    So why now then?
  • Options
    well deserved and I'm pleased. He's still learning, but he has the right attitude and I'm confident he will do well
  • Options
    Pleased.

Like Bowyer, think he's got the chance of becoming a really good manager.

Why is everyone assuming he had a pay rise, this is RD we are talking about! You know, the man who 'drinks from the tap'.

Bowyer knows he fell on his feet when Robinson took him on, he'd been out of the game for a while and was unlikely to walk into such a job elsewhere, best at that point would likely have been a coaching job, probably not even first team.

A contract to the end of the season is hardly stability (for the club) but then we didn't expect anymore did we, until a take over happens it's limbo dancing.

No mention of Jacko - was he interim/caretaker assistant?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

With the obvious exception of still having RD as owner,we now are about as near as we will ever get to having our Charlton back.Bowyer,Jacko in charge of the team,plenty of good young players coming through,and when injury free probably the best squad in this division.I think it is now up to the supporters to back the team,and get us out of this division.

Jesus wept. Roland is still the owner. Murray is still a liar. We still don't have a CEO, CFO or indeed any UK based executive. We have a Finance guy from one of RD's companies slashing costs and lying to a Fans Forum.

We are a million miles from getting our Charlton back.

Bowyer is doing well. We've got some decent players in. There ARE positives. But the dark, rancid, twisted cloud of doom that is Duchatelet is still pervading our club.

Edit: AND the pieman still skulking away in his rats nest of an office. Fair play though - can't be too many senior managers at a football club who employ plain clothes personal protection officers, are allegedly involved in ordering or sanctioning an assault on a young fan and STILL keep their job.
    Indeed, @Davo55

Lest we forget....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's surely not just a matter of the contract's duration but of all the ts and cs, and for Jacko as well. (This could also be agreed with prospective buyer/s, or of course not.)

What is not in doubt is that it's a move with more positives than negatives. For a management team with fewer than 20 games to their name they're going pretty well. Especially Peterboro and also Tuesday night tell us that this is definitely a Bowyer team, and this has now been formally recognised.
  • Options
    A 9 month contract to a young and likely reasonably basic paid manager is not going to derail a takeover if one is still going on. Especially given that none of us know what termination rights are within it (ie could well be one months notice or something).

Good news. No affect on any takeover that is/isn’t happening.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

On the one hand, it's good - bit of stability, etc.

On the other hand, presume this means we won't be rid of Roland in the foreseeable.

Au contraire, I suspect it might mean we could well be. RD’s upped the ante, the players that have been brought in are quality, we’ve even got Igor and appointing Bowyer permanent Manager justs adds to the sense that Charlton could be on the cusp of a very good season. Thinking of buying the club ? You’d better make your move soon or get left behind is the message this gives out.
    Yes hurry up and don't get left behind in that huge queue to buy a league one club for 35m+
  • Options
    Could be Bowyer said back me as manager or I walk. At this point backing him would be the cheap option.
  • Options
    Don't think this will make any difference to any potential take over, he's the best man for the job.
  • Options

This is pure spin from the club and we shouldn't fall for it. Temporary manager given temporary contract, yet they have the brass face to claim a nine-month contract is somehow permanent. Given our churn of managers the idea that even a five-year contract would bring stability is laughable. I'd love to be as optimistic as others about this, but I'm so used to the relentless tsunami of lies that I don't believe anything they say.

He might have only wanted the job until the end of the season, suits all parties imo.
  • Options
    Excellent news....good luck LB you have my full support
  • Options
    Excellent.