Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Wycombe | Sat 08 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Wycombe Wanderers
Saturday 8th September 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Graham Salisbury

Introduction

Charlton return to the Valley this weekend having recorded maximum point’s last time out… Despite the troubles at the end of the game, the 2-1 win at Southend was proof that Lee Bowyer’s side should be able to compete with the majority of teams this season and once again clouds any potential predictions about where Charlton may end up in May.

This Saturday we welcome the first of the newly promoted sides to the Valley this season with Wycombe Wanderers making the relatively short trip down from Buckinghamshire, lets see if Charlton can cage the Beast and record back to back wins for the first time this season!!

The Opposition
Name: Wycombe Wanderers | Manager: Gareth Ainsworth
Ground: Adams Park

The beauty of the lower leagues in the Football League is the amount of promising Managers that appear to exist, unfortunately few get a chance to manage higher than League One and the likes of Paul Tisdale never truly get a chance to show what they can really do.

Another one of those is Gareth Ainsworth and despite visiting the Valley today as the oppositions manager, he’d certainly be a good fit for the Valley hot seat if ever the opportunity arose – As an ex-player he was a battling midfielder notably for Queens Park Rangers, he’d end his career at Wycombe which due to financial constraints in 2012 morphed into the Managers role and six years on, finally achieved promotion back to the third tier.

As a team; Wycombe are built on experience and will be a tough nut to crack on Saturday; Adebayo Akinfenwa is legendary in the lower leagues and will prove a strong physical battle for our defence, whilst the likes of Matt Bloomfield and Marcus Bean have appearances a plenty in the middle of the mark – Results have been mixed for the Chairboys yet they’ll be up for a battling match on Saturday, it’ll be Bowyer’s job to ensure we don’t end up in a scrap!!

Charlton Team News
Well as one player returns they’re instantly unavailable again – Throughout the summer, Charlton have clearly been missing Tariqe Fosu so it was a relief seeing him back on the bench against Southend, due to the melee at the end of the game; Fosu is now suspended for three games so the wait will go on for his full return.

Tuesday night saw another young Addicks side in the Football League Trophy with Ben Reeves gaining some much needed minutes, a return to the bench will be likely for him this weekend whilst Jamie Mascoll could also be pushing for a spot on the bench – Also having a troubling game last weekend was Patrick Bauer who should return having been substituted early in the second half at Southend due to illness

New signings; Jamie Ward and Josh Cullen will be missing this weekend as they spend time on International Duty.

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Page
Lapslie | Bielik | Pratley
Ajose
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Steer | Sarr | Dijksteel | Reeves | Marshall | Vetokele | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
There are signs that Charlton’s season is slowly grinding into life… With just three points separating us and the Play-Offs this’ll be a good chance to start climbing the table as we enter a phase of the season where a number of wins should be picked up – Wycombe though wont turn up and just roll over though, so every Charlton shirt will need to be on their game if they want the win

Comments

• If someone can let me know who the Referee will be it'll be much appreciated

My usual sources of the Football League website and Zetaboards forum have zero information on them
  • Mark Marshall out?
  • Mark Marshall out?

Always forget one or two players... Will replace him on the bench instead of Morgan

Going by Bowyer's positive comments on Tuesday night I'd be surprised if he's left out for two weeks in a row
  • edited September 2018

If someone can let me know who the Referee will be it'll be much appreciated

My usual sources of the Football League website and Zetaboards forum have zero information on them

Ref will be Graham Salisbury, previewed on his own thread: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/83088/charltn-vs-wycombe-8th-september-referee-graham-salisbury#latest

Ajose might be replaced by Marshall. Prediction: we win 2-1.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Is Aribo injured?
  • Redrobo said:

Is Aribo injured?

He had a hip (?) problem which ruled him out against Southend

I guess there is a chance he could be back in contention for Wycombe and presume Bowyer will say something about him in his weekly press conference (is the problem with me writing the Preview before then as can usually make a few of my predications redundant)
  • Redrobo said:

Is Aribo injured?

I guess there is a chance he could be back in contention for Wycombe and presume Bowyer will say something about him in his weekly press conference (is the problem with me writing the Preview before then as can usually make a few of my predications redundant)
    It sounded to me when they said he would miss the game against Southend that it would be just that game. Just an impression from the language used so probably wrong!
  • edited September 2018
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Is Aribo injured?

It sounded to me when they said he would miss the game against Southend that it would be just that game. Just an impression from the language used so probably wrong!
    Due to be back in training today so as long all has gone to plan, he might possibly be okay for Saturday but no doubt we will find out tomorrow.

Agree with the original post line up. Taylor will score again and go on a run of goals now I think.

Charlton Athletic 3-0 Wycombe Wanderers
  • Sponsored links:

• After Tuesday's utter non-show I can't see how RHF makes the bench
  • Bowyer appointed full time manager today means we'll probably lose now...
  • Leuth said:

After Tuesday's utter non-show I can't see how RHF makes the bench

He's been on the bench for all but one game this season

Hate to say it but I think he's the replacement if anything happens to Taylor unless Bowyer completely changes the formation as we dont really have another target man (Vetokele or Ajose being the replacement for Grant if he were to get injured)
  • the sort of game that all too often trips us up (or used to?) .. Bowyer has got the team in a competitive (not to say aggressive) frame and we are now capable of holding our own in what can be a dirty and spiteful league .. not too many changes from 'the usual' .. we should win this against new comers to L2 .. BUT it won't be easy

Wycombe Wanderererrers 0 v CAFC 2 ((:>)
  • Leuth said:

After Tuesday's utter non-show I can't see how RHF makes the bench

He's been on the bench for all but one game this season

Hate to say it but I think he's the replacement if anything happens to Taylor unless Bowyer completely changes the formation as we dont really have another target man (Vetokele or Ajose being the replacement for Grant if he were to get injured)
    I know I'm Naby Fanboy Number One but Sarr would genuinely be a much, much better option than RHF as target man imo
  • Anyway, if Taylor had to go off I wouldn't mind any two of Vetokele, Grant and Ajose
  • Leuth said:

Anyway, if Taylor had to go off I wouldn't mind any two of Vetokele, Grant and Ajose

It's not as if our play depends on having a target man up front.
  • Dunno the ball does seem to be lumped forward for Taylor to hold on to the ball and then bring others into play
  • edited September 2018
    Swap Ajose please, he is not good enough to link up the midfield and attack. Still think he has goals in him (backup striker) but would rather Reeves get 60 minutes or Aribo if fit enough (swap with Lapslie, eg. Lapslie play behind strikers and Aribo in midfield 3)
  • 2 - 0 , Taylor and Pearce
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-0 home win as the season starts to really get going.

What was he before, part time?
  • Should be a win. We have the players with the ability to put them to the sword but we must not only compete physically but take our chances.

New manager bounce :smiley:
  • edited September 2018
    1st home game of the season for me we now enter a few games against opposition who haven't had a great start

wycombe ( 6 pts )
    bradford ( 6pts )
    plymouth ( 2 pts )

2 wins and a loss or 1 win and 2 draws would suffice, think we will win this 2-0.
  • The first game in which I expect a win. Which is always dangerous
  • edited September 2018

the sort of game that all too often trips us up (or used to?) .. Bowyer has got the team in a competitive (not to say aggressive) frame and we are now capable of holding our own in what can be a dirty and spiteful league .. not too many changes from 'the usual' .. we should win this against new comers to L2 .. BUT it won't be easy

Wycombe Wanderererrers 0 v CAFC 2 ((:>)

So that's you prediction for the away game later in the season, how about Saturday at home?