Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ryder Cup 2018 September 28th-30th

18910111214»

Comments

• Options

I didnt see the incident but I would have to say the onus is on the player , not the spectator. It doesnt take much to shout "FORE" & point. The Americans are the worst. With all the silly rule changes the R&A are bringing in (dropping the ball from just off the ground etc)one they could bring in for the professional game is a 2 stroke penalty for not alerting the paying public that your drive (yes you, Mr professional, a player who practices every day & who can control the ball better than a 18 handicapper playing his local municipal) is 50 yards of its intended target.

But shouting "Fore" from where you hit the ball to where it lands, when people are shouting, clapping, making noise to celebrate or berate the shot...It's not easy to hear.

Pretty certain I read the small print on the tickets stating spectators take the risk to be there at the course and stray balls may be present - (I was bored waiting for the Eurostar).

The organisers can only do so much, you have to be close to the holes/tees/fairways to see the ball.

Saying that, appropriate medical bills should be covered in my eyes, but for future loss of earnings etc that I've seen mentioned on Twitter-bore off. If that was the case you'd get all sorts trying to get injured at events.
  • Options

It never ceases to amaze me, with all the 6's in cricket these days, how someone doesn't get hit.

I was at St Lawrence ground Canterbury in the 70's sitting on the grass when a shot from John Shepard hit a kid on the head sitting near me. He was remarkably unscathed, it wasn't on the full, bounced once or twice but must have hurt. He was more shocked than injured. Never forgotten it though.
    I would imagine a golf ball travels a lot faster than a cricket ball and also it's being hit from inside a circle of fans and its a lot easier to pick up the flight of a cricket ball and take evasive action I would suggest.
  • Options
    If you’re at the golf you can only see what’s going on on the hole you’re standing on. So what was she watching?

I fucking hate ambulance chasers
  • Options

It never ceases to amaze me, with all the 6's in cricket these days, how someone doesn't get hit.

Only a matter of time before there is a fatality at a T20 game in my view.

Some of the English grounds are very small and you are seeing lots of 'flat' sixes these days because of the power of the bats and I can absolutely see some poor bastard copping a fatal blow from even 50-60 metres from the middle.

It's made even more likely by the fact that many people attending T20s don't even watch the game and are often half-pissed as well so may not even see the ball before it hits them.

I have seen a couple of very close calls at The Gabba, which is a massive ground, and saw a Big Bash game where a pull-shot from Travis Head (great name) went like a bullet into the lower-tier and smashed into one of the very few empty seats.

It's different from the old days when most sixes were lofted shots that were coming down when they went into the crowd, these days players can hit the ball flat and hard a bloody long way.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Swisdom said:

If you’re at the golf you can only see what’s going on on the hole you’re standing on. So what was she watching?

And fireman. You're all heart.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

You can't follow a ball through the air from 300+ yards away. You see it land somewhere and are in position for the next shot. If you hear one is coming your way you can turn away and try make yourself smaller.

Koepka has said online he is extremely sorry and has asked to be kept fully updated. He's not mentioned medical expenses but I'd be shocked if he's not sorting it in private.