Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Calling all refs (and anyone else who wants to make the call)

13»

Comments

• Options
    DRAddick said:

He's lead with the elbow. What was his arm doing up like that? Hasn't even got the excuse that he was leveraging to get off the floor as he wasn't actually really jumping. Can see why it was given.

This, you cant go round forearm smashing players in an attempt to win a header
  • Options
    Hi, PeterGage ...... I found your post above very interesting.

I seem to remember that Football League referees were forced to retire at the age of 48, although I'm sure there have been older referees officiating in pro football in recent times?

I seem also to remember in non-League football during the time I was playing, there were older referees well into their 50s.

What age did you yourself hang up your whistle?

• Options
    I run line Sheff Wednesday v Charlton u18 yesterday we lost 4-0 Wednesday were lot better. Our goalie saved a penalty but he was jumping up and pushing and pulling bar referee didn’t caution him though.
    On Peterborough game think I said it in match thread.we had claims for a pen for handball and they broke from it an got a penalty. The referee would have had to sprint the length of the pitch to keep up. With the players. I don’t think he would have had a good angle on the decision and how far he was from the incident. I think he might have used his assistant for the decision. Sometimes with penalty decision it’s a instant decision like a gut reaction you thinks it’s a penalty. Which the referee did in this decision.he didn’t seem to give it much time. Which then makes you think the ref has give it not the Lino. But they have mics so the Lino could have give the ref the shout.
    From my view on I follow it doesn’t look like a penalty 100% and in that stage of game 90min and just turned down handball claim at other end the safe option is to wave the penalty away.
    The Peterborough commentary duo couldn’t believe it they were laughing and saying. They didn’t think it was a penalty and they were lucky not to concede a penalty and then be awarded one.
    I asked yesterday about take over but no one new anything.
  • Options

I run line Sheff Wednesday v Charlton u18 yesterday we lost 4-0 Wednesday were lot better. Our goalie saved a penalty but he was jumping up and pushing and pulling bar referee didn’t caution him though.
    On Peterborough game think I said it in match thread.we had claims for a pen for handball and they broke from it an got a penalty. The referee would have had to sprint the length of the pitch to keep up. With the players. I don’t think he would have had a good angle on the decision and how far he was from the incident. I think he might have used his assistant for the decision. Sometimes with penalty decision it’s a instant decision like a gut reaction you thinks it’s a penalty. Which the referee did in this decision.he didn’t seem to give it much time. Which then makes you think the ref has give it not the Lino. But they have mics so the Lino could have give the ref the shout.
    From my view on I follow it doesn’t look like a penalty 100% and in that stage of game 90min and just turned down handball claim at other end the safe option is to wave the penalty away.
    The Peterborough commentary duo couldn’t believe it they were laughing and saying. They didn’t think it was a penalty and they were lucky not to concede a penalty and then be awarded one.
    I asked yesterday about take over but no one new anything.

Hope you don't mind me saying, but this doesn't come across as totally impartial.
  • Options
    Normally at academy games the assistants are local so in places like Sheffield the assistants mealy always support either Sheff Utd or Wednesday the other lines man on this match was a Sheffield Wednesday fan. The ref was Leeds.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I seem to remember that Football League referees were forced to retire at the age of 48, although I'm sure there have been older referees officiating in pro football in recent times?

I seem also to remember in non-League football during the time I was playing, there were older referees well into their 50s.

Thanks for your comments. In my days (many moons ago), the maximum age of a football referee was 48. You also had to be appointed to the football league list by the age of 40. I understand that some referees, at football league level can now continue to 50, providing their marks are high and that they can pass the fitness test. I can see the balance between retaining the experienced referees which still providing vacancies to promote the next generation of top referees.

There is no age limit at park level simpky because of the general shortage of referees
  • Options
    Thought the ref on Saturday had a decent game.
  • Options

I've tried to watch it over and over and it looks to me like the injured player was trying head a ball he could never get and ended up headbutting the guy who was sent off!

Was this game really using VAR? Surely the whole idea is that these things can be sorted out according to the laws of the game. But, unfortunately, the laws of the game don't seem to cover situations like this leaving referees to strut around like mini popes pronouncing on incidents without any need to justify their opinions.

I agree. What happened here was that the first penalty was the result of VAR. It was a handball the ref had missed. Then he gave this decision. Cant help feeling @Oggy Red thing working there. He had just been shown up to the home fans by VAR, the whole stadium is on its feet after the penalty save. He's going to show them he's not going to be shown up a second time. Since, to be fair, it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake this time, the VAR people don't intervene, although Hubnik the defender does his best to make them all use it, the screen is right by the point where the incident happened. While I don't think the clash of heads happened, it could well have done, as the Slavia forward has turned his head sideways, no interest in the ball.

But it's a week ago now, perhaps time I let it go :-)
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Oggy Red said:

Thanks for your comments. In my days (many moons ago), the maximum age of a football referee was 48. You also had to be appointed to the football league list by the age of 40. I understand that some referees, at football league level can now continue to 50, providing their marks are high and that they can pass the fitness test. I can see the balance between retaining the experienced referees which still providing vacancies to promote the next generation of top referees.

There is no age limit at park level simpky because of the general shortage of referees
    Thanks, Peter.

I wasn't referring to parks football - I meant senior amateur game, semi-pro, etc., where some experienced refs seemed to be over 50.

Always interesting to get a refs comments., Peter.