Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shanghai / Beijing

Off to both next month on business....... any hidden delights I should look out for

Comments

• In my view the Temple of Heaven, the Great Wall, the old city and the summer palace are better than the forbidden city.
    The Beijing underground is brilliant.
  • seth plum said:

In my view the Temple of Heaven, the Great Wall, the old city and the summer palace are better than the forbidden city.
    The Beijing underground is brilliant.

Agreed.

Tiananmen square is an impressive space, and quite evocative if you remember 1989.
  • The Shanghai waterfront (The Bund) is full of impressive old buildings and yet if you look across the river, you see a new futuristic city, Pudong.
  • Don’t ask about the man carrying the white bag in Tianneneman Square.
  • edited August 2018
    10 million bicycles?
  • 10 million bicycles?

A thousand flowers to bloom?

I would be careful what you say though.
  • WanFuJing in Beijing, to try some interesting food.

All the places seth mentioned(although I'm with Karl Pilkinton, The bit of The wall you'll probably see is shite), take a boat across kunming lake.

Enjoy The food in beijing, in the middle of The hutongs.

The oriental pearl tower is a must.

When in Shanghai check out The kong fu comedy club and if you can find The time, jump on a fast train to suzhou.

You MUST have a chongqing/chengdu hotpot one day, best.food in The world.
  • edited September 2018
    Also, no matter how friendly/sexy someone seems DO NOT join them to visit a tea house/masssage/bar if approached on the street, it's a massive scam that will cost you a lot of money. This is mostly a SH problem, rather than a BJ one.

When are you visiting? I really, really hope it's not The first week in October.
  • Fly out Wednesday 10th - what’s wrong with the first week out of interest
  • It's golden week which is China's second largest national holiday, , everywhere will be packed, and by packed I mean you won't be able to go to certain places due to the amount people.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll be escaping to Bali for that week, you should be OK by The 10th though.
  • Being Charlton fans, we checked out the Maglev train in Shanghai. Had a ride out to the airport and back on the fastest train in the world. 440kph feels insanely fast when you're blatting past the scenery at top speed
  • Missed It said:

Being Charlton fans, we checked out the Maglev train in Shanghai. Had a ride out to the airport and back on the fastest train in the world. 440kph feels insanely fast when you're blatting past the scenery at top speed

It's amazing.
  • holyjo said:

Fly out Wednesday 10th - what’s wrong with the first week out of interest

National holiday all tourist spots bombed out.
  • 55 days ago.
  • edited September 2018
  • seth plum said:

55 days ago.

• When did we stop saying Peking?

Have 'we' stopped?
  • It's completely different to how the name of the capital is pronounced in Mandarin though. Beijing is the correct pronunciation.
  • edited September 2018
    Missed It said:

Being Charlton fans, we checked out the Maglev train in Shanghai. Had a ride out to the airport and back on the fastest train in the world. 440kph feels insanely fast when you're blatting past the scenery at top speed

I tried to upload a video of my ride on this train but it wouldn’t upload. Anyway my ride only went up to 430kpm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Head to Jingshan Park pagoda for the best of Forbidden City.
  • Also, no matter how friendly/sexy someone seems DO NOT join them to visit a tea house/masssage/bar if approached on the street, it's a massive scam that will cost you a lot of money. This is mostly a SH problem, rather than a BJ one.

When are you visiting? I really, really hope it's not The first week in October.

Make your mind up. It 100% does seem like a BJ problem?!?