Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Talk Sport - Jim White (ed. Page 21 - Grapevine destroys Roland)

Comments

• Options
    The bloke just doesn’t understand British football. He just does not get it.
  • Options
    Well done lardi.......a sterling effort.
  • Options
    That was an enormous task, and done so well. You certainly earned your promote!
    Thank you.
  • Options

Rick Everits fault
    The fans fault
    Charlton life s fault
    Basically everyone s fault except his.
    The man is completely deluded and the sooner he goes the better.

Just sell the club and FUCK OFF

Woah, woah, woah, he admitted it was his fault he couldn’t communicate how rubbish he was at the beginning. You’ve got to give the old dentist dodger credit where it’s due....

Great work @lardiman - maybe have a try at tonight’s news at ten too?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Rick Everits fault
    The fans fault
    Charlton life s fault

Woah, woah, woah, he admitted it was his fault he couldn’t communicate how rubbish he was at the beginning. You’ve got to give the old dentist dodger credit where it’s due....

Great work @lardiman - maybe have a try at tonight’s news at ten too?
    FFS!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Rick Everits fault
    The fans fault
    Charlton life s fault

I loved the way it was billed pre- airing as an apology. It was pretty clear that plank would never apologise. Some seemed to fall for it though!:)
  • Options
    Great work @lardiman. I've got to be honest I ran out of stamina just reading it and by part four was just skimming through. How you kept going through the whole lot is amazing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Many thanks @lardiman
  • Options
    thanks @lardiman
  • Options
    Thanks @lardiman
  • Options
    Great effort.
  • Options
    he had the chance to give us an apology, a paragraph, or ANYTHING..... 'I hope we go up'. That was all he could muster up? Wanker.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

It is a bit pointless speculating how much Murray cares. I'm sure he cares a lot, but it doesn't matter does it? What is more telling about Murray, is that he was successful when he had a great manager, who he let manage. That is perfection for a businessman. It is when they start to think they know more about the football side, you start to hit the rocks. As soon as Curbs left, rather than look for another Curbs, he appointed a manager to wind up our rivals as much as anything else, but took away many of his powers to manage. The board became much more involved in the football side.

Of course finding another Curbs was not an easy undertaking, so maybe the approach was understandable. When you look back on Curbs he didn't just manage the team. He managed the club. He clearly saw the fans as the extra player and managed us too. I recall many a telling off from Curbs when he thought we weren't doing our job properly. It was a criminal waste that the guy's career fell flat after he took West Ham to a tribunal (which he won). The bloke was a great manager, one of the best. Certainly the best we have ever had. Not an easy act to follow.

What we saw after Curbs leaving was how much harder it is for a chairman to drive the rally car rather than support a great driver by sitting next to him in the passenger seat. I believe the ego of Murray made him believe he was just as important an ingredient in our success as Curbs. True Curbs would not have been able to achieve what he did under Roland, but Murray did a great job as chairman because he focused on the financials, trusted the manager to be sensible, and the club was in synergy.

Murray without Curbs was shown to be completely out of his depth. I think he derailed Pardew by allowing Reid to go when we were fighting to return that first season after relegation. Decisions since then have been inept and from being one of the best chairmen he became one of the worst. His biggest failing has always been that he cannot see it for what it is. Without a Curbs to hang on to, Murray has shown that he has an ability to be truly incompetent. Siding himself with the owner, I'm sure in his eyes for the betterment of the club, is just another example of this. If I could give him a gift, it would be the insight to know that he isn't as good as he thinks he is (in the context of football only I must stress). That isn't a bad thing, if you know your limitations, you can be very effective working within them, as he was under the great Curbs.

At that time Charlton were labelled the best run club in the country and the club others outside the very top ones should aspire to be. For a short time, just before Parker was sold, we were without doubt the fourth best team in the country FFS! Whilst Murray was a key part of this, his issue was that he believed this was because of him. To be fair it was, but only because his position was to support a manager with vision and prodigious ability. He did spot that ability, and he did nurture it. We can't take it away from him - but without Curbs Murray is a footballing disaster. That is sadly the fact he needs to accept!

Pride derailed Murray and CAFC for years to come. He couldn’t accept that curbs wanted to see his contract out and wouldn’t sign another - so he thought he’d let him go the year before the major TV deal kicked in and get someone in who he’d unearth as the next big management talent. He overestimated his ability to spot that talent.

Curbs’ brother, the music mogul, stated at the time that he felt Alan deserved more money and backing from the chairman, which somehow Dowie later got on the back of a good season or two with palace.

Hindsight is easy, but if Curbs had kept us up another season until the TV money kicked in, who knows what might have happened.

Plenty of us said it at the time but the 'boring mid table premiership football' and 'Curbs has taken us as far as he can' lobbies possessed louder voices and influence.
    Yeah, and where are they now?

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

TelMc32 said:

addick05 said:

J BLOCK said:

Anyone know if Jim has reached out to Airman/CARD before this interview to get an updated fact check?

Hate this expression 'reached out'. My publishers in the US were always emailing and informing me that someone would be 'reaching out' to me. Sounds like you are waiting to be rescued from drowning. I was sorely tempted to make a sarcastic comment but held back.

I have banned it in the workplace...difficult as I have a number of US clients and colleagues!!!

Decision gates are meant to be part of a flow, the text in the middle should be the question and the outcomes should be relevant to the question.

The more sensible flow would be as attached.
    This guy UMLs
  • Options
    Well appreciated @lardiman...top work squire...;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lardi......do you have acces to (or if not, can you get), the transcript or recording of CARD’s response on Talksport2 given by Heather ?......I believe it went out a day or two later.
    Frustratingly, there seems to be no exact record regarding the interview.
    Speaking for myself and I think others, I would love to read a transcript or better still hear a recording.
    Surely someone out there must have one or the other?
    Don’t like to criticise as I am solidly behind CARD and it’s efforts.....but I have to say it was somewhat remiss of CARD not to have recorded or at least taken a word for word transcript of such an important discussion.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

lardi......do you have acces to (or if not, can you get), the transcript or recording of CARD’s response on Talksport2 given by Heather ?......I believe it went out a day or two later.
    Speaking for myself and I think others, I would love to read a transcript or better still hear a recording.
    Don’t like to criticise as I am solidly behind CARD and it’s efforts.....but I have to say it was somewhat remiss of CARD not to have recorded or at least taken a word for word transcript of such an important discussion.

CARD (not me, to be clear) had been promised a more direct right of reply on the main channel later in the week, an offer which was subsequently withdrawn. I don't think anyone realised at the time that talkSPORT 2 wasn't available on catch-up.
  • Options
    We believed we were going to have a right to reply but this was cancelled at short notice unfortunatley, thanks to @lardiman for the transcribe, excellent work and as @SoundAsa£ says a valuable record of such am important discussion.

*edit just seen @Airman Brown beat me to it.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

LenGlover said:

It is a bit pointless speculating how much Murray cares. I'm sure he cares a lot, but it doesn't matter does it? What is more telling about Murray, is that he was successful when he had a great manager, who he let manage. That is perfection for a businessman. It is when they start to think they know more about the football side, you start to hit the rocks. As soon as Curbs left, rather than look for another Curbs, he appointed a manager to wind up our rivals as much as anything else, but took away many of his powers to manage. The board became much more involved in the football side.

Of course finding another Curbs was not an easy undertaking, so maybe the approach was understandable. When you look back on Curbs he didn't just manage the team. He managed the club. He clearly saw the fans as the extra player and managed us too. I recall many a telling off from Curbs when he thought we weren't doing our job properly. It was a criminal waste that the guy's career fell flat after he took West Ham to a tribunal (which he won). The bloke was a great manager, one of the best. Certainly the best we have ever had. Not an easy act to follow.

What we saw after Curbs leaving was how much harder it is for a chairman to drive the rally car rather than support a great driver by sitting next to him in the passenger seat. I believe the ego of Murray made him believe he was just as important an ingredient in our success as Curbs. True Curbs would not have been able to achieve what he did under Roland, but Murray did a great job as chairman because he focused on the financials, trusted the manager to be sensible, and the club was in synergy.

Murray without Curbs was shown to be completely out of his depth. I think he derailed Pardew by allowing Reid to go when we were fighting to return that first season after relegation. Decisions since then have been inept and from being one of the best chairmen he became one of the worst. His biggest failing has always been that he cannot see it for what it is. Without a Curbs to hang on to, Murray has shown that he has an ability to be truly incompetent. Siding himself with the owner, I'm sure in his eyes for the betterment of the club, is just another example of this. If I could give him a gift, it would be the insight to know that he isn't as good as he thinks he is (in the context of football only I must stress). That isn't a bad thing, if you know your limitations, you can be very effective working within them, as he was under the great Curbs.

At that time Charlton were labelled the best run club in the country and the club others outside the very top ones should aspire to be. For a short time, just before Parker was sold, we were without doubt the fourth best team in the country FFS! Whilst Murray was a key part of this, his issue was that he believed this was because of him. To be fair it was, but only because his position was to support a manager with vision and prodigious ability. He did spot that ability, and he did nurture it. We can't take it away from him - but without Curbs Murray is a footballing disaster. That is sadly the fact he needs to accept!

Pride derailed Murray and CAFC for years to come. He couldn’t accept that curbs wanted to see his contract out and wouldn’t sign another - so he thought he’d let him go the year before the major TV deal kicked in and get someone in who he’d unearth as the next big management talent. He overestimated his ability to spot that talent.

Curbs’ brother, the music mogul, stated at the time that he felt Alan deserved more money and backing from the chairman, which somehow Dowie later got on the back of a good season or two with palace.

Hindsight is easy, but if Curbs had kept us up another season until the TV money kicked in, who knows what might have happened.

Plenty of us said it at the time but the 'boring mid table premiership football' and 'Curbs has taken us as far as he can' lobbies possessed louder voices and influence.
    Yeah, and where are they now?

Well Curbs was the best and it did not get any better than SEVEN YEARS in the premiership,so i guess the people just had enough of it.....wish i could have seen premiership football with Charlton week in week out.

Never mind see you all at afew more away games this season,unable to make Mansfield but could be at Burton if i can get time off work.
  • Options

CARD (not me, to be clear) had been promised a more direct right of reply on the main channel later in the week, an offer which was subsequently withdrawn. I don't think anyone realised at the time that talkSPORT 2 wasn't available on catch-up.
    What was the reason the direct right of reply was withdrawn on the main channel?

• Options

I've been in touch with the researcher since trying to get hold of a recording and he was asking but no joy I'm afraid. Annoyed I didn't record it at the time on my own phone.

Essentially I believe I just kept repeating that what Roland said was outlandish nonsense.
  • Options

If anybody can provide a file of the CARD response interview in a format I can listen to, I would be happy to transcribe it.
    I appreciate this may be unlikely now (given what has been said in recent posts), but you never know.
  • Options

What was the reason the direct right of reply was withdrawn on the main channel?

They lost interest, I think, when the interview got a more critical general response than they had expected.
  • Options

They lost interest, I think, when the interview got a more critical general response than they had expected.
    How strange??