Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Message to Card......is this just a pipe dream?

edited August 2018 in General Charlton
For sometime now I have had a dream which whilst fanciful, might at least be feasible and worth kicking around.
I would also love to hear the thoughts of other posters, both encouraging or otherwise.
How about we gather together some famous names from our fan and ex player bases and get them out to Belgium with media in tow for a powwow with Duchatalet.
The likes of Curbs, Hales, Elliott, Peacock, Foley, Keily, Brown, Mendonca, Ufton, Minto, Humphrey’s,Bolder......I am sure others could put suitable names forward.
From the media......Patrick Collins, Peter Cordwell, Richard Cawley etc.
A group of people all with a piece of Charlton in their hearts who could, as a group, put across our fears for the future and displeasure of current events and to make a plea to Duchatalet not to destroy us. I say destroy us, because the more time goes by, the more I am beginning to think the unthinkable and that he may be prepared to run us into the ground purely as an act of spite and vengeance.
Of course it would all depend on whether or not Duchatalet would agree to meet them in the first place. 50/50 on that one?
Secondly how many would be prepared to step up to the plate and actually go?
Card have the funds to help put this together and let’s face it....we ARE getting more and more desperate by the day.
As an act of true purpose and intent and for some real answers it just might work.
Card have ‘some funds’ to help finance the meeting, if so required
Yeah sure, on face value it’s a fanciful scatter brain idea.....but is it?
Nervous to post this and getting ready to duck .....but here goes!

Comments

• Options
    It’s a perfectly good idea, problem I would see is not a single person on that list would go.
  • Options
    Nug said:

It’s a perfectly good idea, problem I would see is not a single person on that list would go.

Ok.....why do you say that Nug?
  • Options
    Wouldn’t it be cheaper and easier to invite RD to a meeting at the valley with said audience. He could combine this meeting with signing the agreement to sell to the Aussies/Buyer 2/Buyer3 at a discounted cost. And CARD would pay his travel expenses for his return journey to Belgium.
  • Options
    Agree, most either haven't the inclination or would rather keep their heads down.
  • Options
    Nug said:

How many ex players etc have come out in the past 4 years and slated this owner. What has Peacock said in the past 4 years? Curbs? There has been some mild criticism from a few but people in the game aren’t going to do anything that might be controversial. Just my opinion.

From the list I have made there are a few who might be prepared to spearhead a group....one name particularly springs to mind, if he was so inclined.
  • Options
    Pipe dream, would never happen.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Romantic idea, but wont happen. Most of those people worked for us and are not passionate supporters. Many have jobs or in some cases are still paid by the club.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    seth plum said:

Duchatelet wouldn't know who they are, and would care even less.

Maybe, maybe not.
    But they would be a group who he would have to consider very carefully about rejecting their approach.
    Of course they are much better known names in The UK than in Belgium but their presence in Belgium would create a fair amount of interest from their media I fancy.
    Maybe Duchatalet would run a mile at the idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need a presence at the Belgian embassy.
  • Options
    It is a nice a idea, but it won't happen and, as Seth says, he wouldn't give a monkeys if Alan Curbishley and co turned up on his doorstep. He does not care. We could send round David Beckham, Mother Theresa and Mahatma Ghandi to plead on our behalf - still doesn't care.

The time for diplomacy is long gone. Aggressive protest and hurting him in the pocket is the only way forward.
  • Options
    Face value I agree it's a far fetched pipe dream, but I think it would be hard found to find anyone who wouldn't enjoy seeing it happen.
  • Options
    "A" for effort @SoundAsa£ , but back to the drawing board, me thinks :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    seth plum said:

Problem with that Seth is demos nowadays at Embassies world wide are not just as simple as turning up on the day and having a get together for a peaceful demo, be it big or small in number.
    The authorities freak out and go into red alert status.
    However I also agree ( and have said so on here several times over the years), that CARD should look into this (if they haven’t already).
    It would embarrass the hell out of Duchatalet and possibly Belgians in general.
  • Options
    What about that guy what's his name??? Ahh that manager guy??? Bart something wasn't it?
  • Options
    The sad thing is that if you are trying to persuade RD to sell he is more likely to listen if you send Fraeye, Luzon and Driesden to make our case than if we send the legends you name there.

It’s a nice idea but as said above I doubt any would want to get involved to that extent.
  • Options
    Duchatelet is a cold-hearted Investor and shows no interest in football other than to make money from it. Pretty sure he would have nothing to do with a plea from us to protect our club.
    Whilst we're on it, how can he expect new buyers to pay him back his losses (within the asking price) for his gigantic mismanagement whilst he has been the owner? He deserves to leave our club with a huge personal loss after his failed experiment.
  • Options
    Having spoken to quite a few on that list In xbars over the last couple of seasons I can confirm that some of them actually think Roland is doing a good job.
    One of them said to me that what we supporters don't see is all the things going on behind the scenes and that without Roland bankrolling us the club could go out of business.
    Rather than argue with him I simply changed the subject.
    But do not assume that all on that list agree with the protests
  • Options

Dare I say it, but some of your list are getting a bit long in the tooth ...... Theo Foley is 81; Derek Ufton is 90.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Belgian chocolates would make a blinding, thoughtful gift, but they ain't the cheapest.

Who would they be for?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dare I say it, but some of your list are getting a bit long in the tooth ...... Theo Foley is 81; Derek Ufton is 90.

Yes, I realise that......but still a couple of good old soldiers, though I understand Theo has not been well of late.
  • Options

Having spoken to quite a few on that list In xbars over the last couple of seasons I can confirm that some of them actually think Roland is doing a good job.
    One of them said to me that what we supporters don't see is all the things going on behind the scenes and that without Roland bankrolling us the club could go out of business.

Yes, sad isn't it?

• Options
    addick05 said:

Yes, sad isn't it?

Very.
  • Options

This theory utterly infuriates me. Is that not the case with virtually every club in the world?! Or, at the very least, those outside of the Premier League and Europe's elite clubs. Are we not entitled to want the person bankrolling us to not be a total and utter tosser?!

That's the problem with a lot of "football people". They don't really understand anything beyond what happens on the pitch.

• Options
    I’m sure shuriken, the pointy Japanese throiwing stars must have been tradeable currency at one time or another. They would do.