Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Fleetwood | Sat 25 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Fleetwood Town
Saturday 25th August 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Antony Coggins (Oxfordshire)

Introduction

Once again the dark cloud descends on the Valley… This week has been marred by the fact that Charlton staff will not be paid the bonuses they deserve, which if possible paints Roland Duchatalet in an even worse light. Naturally it means that there will be protests this weekend as efforts to remove the poison from the club rises again.

On the pitch it’s not much different. Regardless of their best efforts, the players just cannot keep a clean sheet and were unfortunate to be robbed of any points on Tuesday night due to dubious decisions from the officials – This Saturday football will return again to the Valley as we place hosts to Fleetwood Town

The Opposition
Name
: Fleetwood Town | Manager: Joey Barton
Ground: Highbury Stadium

Prior to the new Football season there were twenty one managers who would take charge of a new club – For two of those sides Derby and Fleetwood there was much fan fare as two ex-players took their first foray into the Management game… For Derby the jury is still out as to whether their choice was correct, yet for our opponents on Saturday, their decision (albeit questionable) seems inspired.

A man who has created controversy wherever he’s gone; Joey Barton’s playing career would end in 2017, not by choice yet given an 18-month ban (later reduced by five months) for betting. When that ban ended, everyone expected Barton to return to Football yet when he was appointed Manager by Fleetwood Town more than a few eyebrows were raised, especially as previous Manager: John Sheridan had done so well to keep the Cod Army in this Division.

Results wise this season though is why Barton seems a good choice and four points prior after last weekend was a good return for a side who many expect to be relegation strugglers… Yet their performance against Scunthorpe last night will surely make teams wary of Barton and his side, 4-0 up after 30mins; Fleetwood blew their opponents (Semi-Finalists in the Play-Offs last season) away, and with Ched Evans finding his goal scoring touch on loan from Sheffield United, this wont be a walk in the park for a Charlton side who have never lost to Fleetwood.

Charlton Team News
For Charlton fans this season, the major focus has been around the lack of depth within the squad – Fans know that there is quality there yet with injury problems hindering pre-season the opening games would always be a struggle, that’s why the news that Igor Vetokele, Jason Pearce, Tariqe Fosu and Ben Reeves will be returning to training was so warmly welcomed… If Charlton want to challenge this season those players returning will need to hit the ground running.

Indeed with Igor Vetokele returning on Monday, we could see a first appearance (albeit on the bench) from the Angolan since 2016 and if he can find the form he showed when he first joined the club, some much needed fire power will be added in attack!!

Phillips
Bauer | Bielik | Sarr
Solly | Aribo | Pratley | Page
Grant | Ajose | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Steer | Dijksteel | Marshall | Morgan | Maloney | Lapslie | Vetokele

Prediction
Frustratingly there has only been the one game where Charlton havent played to the standards expected by Lee Bowyer (Accrington), for there to be only four points on the board means that we need a bit more luck to go our way, hopefully that can begin on Saturday yet overall really unsure of how this one might play out, despite Charlton having the extra days rest.

Comments

• Options
    Bit worried about this one after Fleetwood beat scunthorpe 5-0 away last night!
  • Options
    Tough game, Fleetwood will be on a high.
    1-1
  • Options
    Unless we score a few goals, the best I can hope for is a draw ...
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer firey temprament. Joey Barton firey temprament. Is it a clash waiting to happen?
  • Options

Scunthorpe is not the team it's been for the past few seasons, but even so .. a 5-0 away win deserves respect .. we need to find a bit of dog from somewhere cos these type of teams like to dish it out and get stuck in, especially against the 'bigger' clubs in the League ..
    If Fleetwood reflect the personality of their new manager, look out for skill and filth combined with sheer bloody mindedness

I am an eternal optimist but have a bad feeling about this one against cod army west .. a draw at best

CAFC 2 v Fleetwood Town 2
  • Options
    Comfortable away win. 0-4.

Shat.
  • Options

Scunthorpe is not the team it's been for the past few seasons, but even so .. a 5-0 away win deserves respect .. we need to find a bit of dog from somewhere cos these type of teams like to dish it out and get stuck in, especially against the 'bigger' clubs in the League ..
    If Fleetwood reflect the personality of their new manager, look out for skill and filth combined with sheer bloody mindedness

I am an eternal optimist but have a bad feeling about this one against cod army west .. a draw at best

Just so long as its not the 0-0 performance from the Valley last season, could have played for months and there would have been no goal!! - That one and the game before against Blackpool were clear proof of how bothered Robinson was as our Manager!!
  • Options

Just so long as its not the 0-0 performance from the Valley last season, could have played for months and there would have been no goal!! - That one and the game before against Blackpool were clear proof of how bothered Robinson was as our Manager!!
    problem is 'nil' is becoming our third name, as in CAFC NIL v P'Boro 1 .. let's hope that Taylor and Grant find collective form and that Ajose gets a run out .. attack attack .. attack attack attack ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a feeling we may get a few more injuries from this game? Can't see us getting anything positive from it so looking at an away win, particularly after their 5-0 away at Scunthorpe.
  • Options
    3:2 Charlton - Grant, Arsenal boy 2
  • Options
    unless we magically find a playmaker in midfield, some wingers who can cross the ball, and some other players apart from the front 2 who can score then I don't expect anything else but a defeat. We don't score enough. end of. 4 in 4 so far. Fleetwood got that amount in 30 mins last night - Sunderland in the full 90 mins. Same problem last year, and the year before, and the year before that......

1-3. Ched Evans hat trick. Don't like the sex offender but he scores goals.
  • Options
    Home win 2-1 .
  • Options

3-0 Charlton

Bowyer could have Barton in a fight.

Shame I am away this weekend, I would pay good money to watch that
  • Options
    I thought 2-0 Charlton until last night.................
  • Options
    Fantastic 0-1 home defeat!
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton, Evans for Fleetwood early and we come back Taylor with the winner
  • Options
    Although not returning to full training until Monday, Pearce has stated that he hoped to be in the squad against Fleetwood, seems highly unlikely, but....I think the players we have playing at the moment should be able to get something out of this game, trying not to be too confident, which has let me down this season, but I will still go for a 2-1 win
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

Although not returning to full training until Monday, Pearce has stated that he hoped to be in the squad against Fleetwood, seems highly unlikely, but....I think the players we have playing at the moment should be able to get something out of this game, trying not to be too confident, which has let me down this season, but I will still go for a 2-1 win

I did initially put him on the bench yet likewise think it'll be too soon for him and even Igor maybe (despite adding him)

Its refreshing really because as per his comments with Fosu (and as we saw last season with Page / Dasilva) - Bowyer isnt the sort to mess around throwing a player into the action so soon after injury if they're not ready yet
  • Options
    ''The man who was found not guilty of rape and was wrongly imprisoned for 2.5 years of his life?''

After a rich father in law paid for 'justice' still two timed his fiancee and is a total
    scumbag. Ideal match for a Joey Barton team!
    Did he get compensation for the 'wrongly imprisonment'?
  • Options

unless we magically find a playmaker in midfield, some wingers who can cross the ball, and some other players apart from the front 2 who can score then I don't expect anything else but a defeat. We don't score enough. end of. 4 in 4 so far. Fleetwood got that amount in 30 mins last night - Sunderland in the full 90 mins. Same problem last year, and the year before, and the year before that......

1-3. Ched Evans hat trick. Don't like the sex offender but he scores goals.

Not far off the mark here and good reasoning. I also think the effort the lads put in on Tuesday was amazing; one or two of the youngers ones may feel a bit of a burn-out. Would take a point. Until we get the injured players back we just have to scrape enough points to avoid getting sucked into the bottom 4 or 5. Midfield is crying out for a creative player who can spot the early through ball for the likes of Grant to run on to. Also thought Ajose did well with his cameo appearance.
    ps Evans a sex offender? Thought he was cleared?
  • Options
    I think Fleetwood with all their big money signings will be just too strong for us. 5-0 defeat.
  • Options
    0-6 relegations calling
  • Options
    1 - 1
  • Options
    From the sublime to the ridiculous... how to run a football club v the Douchebag shambles.

If we escape 1-1 I'll be happy. If not we'll be outdone by a club who's population is less than the amount of people who work at Bluewater.

Exciting times.
  • Options
    I think Grant-Ajose-Taylor to start up front will leave us weak elsewhere.
    Ajose and Lapslie in.
    Grant (or Vetokele) to come off the bench to give us a draw from a late equalizer.
    2-2