Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

22/8/18: CARD CALLS FLEETWOOD PROTEST IN SOLIDARITY WITH CHARLTON STAFF

CARD CALLS FLEETWOOD PROTEST IN SOLIDARITY WITH CHARLTON STAFF

Following confirmation today of the Charlton Athletic board’s continued refusal to meet its formal obligations to its own employees on pay and rewards, the Coalition Against Roland Duchâtelet (CARD) is calling on all Addicks fans to demonstrate at The Valley this weekend.

The deteriorating situation at the club – described yesterday by Greenwich and Woolwich MP Matthew Pennycook as “utterly shambolic” – has been allowed to go on for too long and the extent of damage now being done to our club is heartbreaking.

It cannot be acceptable that staff are made the latest victims of a petty cost-cutting agenda that can have no realistic impact on the club’s viability or prospects of sale. In our view, this is simply bullying, as is the regime’s recent practice of very overdue payment of local suppliers.

CARD believes that this is the moment when fans must act collectively to force the intervention of the EFL in the running of Charlton, which is impacting on the reputation of the league as well as that of the club itself.

The club has no permanent team manager, no chief executive, no chief financial officer and no chairman, a situation which has gone on for many months. Duchâtelet has not attended a game for nearly four years. The only other director, Richard Murray, has been a nodding dog throughout. How can this situation be acceptable to the EFL?

Despite the tremendous efforts of caretaker boss Lee Bowyer and coach Johnnie Jackson, it is clear that the first-team squad is now inadequate numerically, as proven by Lee’s inability to fill the bench at the start of the season and fielding of an U23 team in the Carabao Cup.

We are suspending our boycott call for Saturday’s home match with Fleetwood Town and asking as many supporters as possible to join a demonstration to show their solidarity with the staff and the extent of their concern about the wider situation.

CARD will fully support any action taken by the staff in pursuit of their grievance, including if it leads to the postponement of Saturday’s match, because we believe that would be a proportionate outcome to the years-long betrayal of staff and supporters alike.

Whether or not they intend to go in to the game, we are asking fans to assemble by 2.15pm outside main reception in the west stand car park or as near to it as possible on the day for a major demonstration.

Thousands of supporters have already stopped attending matches. CARD believes this is the time for Charlton fans to stand up for their club – before there is nothing left to get behind.

Comments

• Options
    Right thing to do. Unfortunately I'll be at Wembley for the Challenge Cup final but I'll be there in spirit.
  • Options
    In.
  • Options
    Will be there
  • Options
    I'm sure there's a balance between getting people interested and the club out of he loop, but what should someone who's not bought a ST do? Turn up for 45 minutes and go home?

Are there staff with the appetite to get the game postponed? To get larger numbers there, the boycotters need to turn up, and I doubt they will to just go home at 3pm.
  • Options
    Lurker said:

I'm sure there's a balance between getting people interested and the club out of he loop, but what should someone who's not bought a ST do? Turn up for 45 minutes and go home?

Are there staff with the appetite to get the game postponed? To get larger numbers there, the boycotters need to turn up, and I doubt they will to just go home at 3pm.

Buy a ticket, watch the game and carry on the protests inside the ground as i'm sure they will.
  • Options
    Will be working but I'm happy to donate a bit to cover a ticket or two for those who cannot afford, or for any appropriate utensils required for this protest..
  • Options

Lurker said:

Buy a ticket, watch the game and carry on the protests inside the ground as i'm sure they will.
    If there's planned protests inside the ground then they should say it. A few years back they mentioned buying tickets in the west lower which I did. Don't remember anything happening in the west lower but that might be my memory.

No point being vague at this point, need to get numbers there.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    never one to criticise card but havent we been in the west stand car park and this still owns our club?.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lurker said:

Lurker said:

If there's planned protests inside the ground then they should say it. A few years back they mentioned buying tickets in the west lower which I did. Don't remember anything happening in the west lower but that might be my memory.

The statement says to have a rally at 2.15pm. No vagueness.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Lurker said:

Lurker said:

In terms of a protest, it's pretty vague.
  • Options
    Lurker said:

Curb_It said:

Lurker said:

Lurker said:

In terms of a protest, it's pretty vague.
    I imagine that is the point in order to avoid giving too much away to the parasites within the club.
  • Options

the best way to do this is to allow the game to start and more than 50 go on the pitch and get the game abandoned

Have visions of Joey Barton rugby tackling some if they do.
  • Options
    I read this ‘protest’ as more of a show of support to the staff, as well as way or bringing the situation to the attention of more people/the right people

Not just to make Duchâtelet pay up straight away
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

And In terms of the statement, it doesn't say there is inside protests. My point is Baldy stated that he was sure there would be protests inside. But i personally didnt think he meant CARD organised protests. I'm sure other Charlton fans can kick up a fuss without waiting for CARD to tell them what to do.

Yes, exactly, thankyou.
  • Options

the best way to do this is to allow the game to start and more than 50 go on the pitch and get the game abandoned

100% Agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

And In terms of the statement, it doesn't say there is inside protests. My point is Baldy stated that he was sure there would be protests inside. But i personally didnt think he meant CARD organised protests. I'm sure other Charlton fans can kick up a fuss without waiting for CARD to tell them what to do.

Unless it's co-ordinated then no one's going to kick up a fuss inside. I've made the trip for just for protests before and it's a pretty depressing way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I don't want to give RD any of my money, but if there's a reason then I will.

• Options

we have had this also before and a considerable amount got on after last game of the season i'm pretty sure
  • Options

50 - that’s a big ask, don’t think you will get the entire east stand to do it.
  • Options

50 - that’s a big ask, don’t think you will get the entire east stand to do it.
    He’s including the ball boys and Stewards.
  • Options
    Not the point but interesting use of the phrase 'formal obligation' which is just as unclear as 'incentivised bonus'.

See you at 2.15!
  • Options
    we will be there