Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Incident in Greenwich

Comments

• Would be interesting to hear the views of the guys living in China in relation to this debate.
    What would you like to know? Violent crime is almost non-existent, mainly due to cultural reasons, rather than law and order.
  • Would be interesting to hear the views of the guys living in China in relation to this debate.
    What would you like to know? Violent crime is almost non-existent, mainly due to cultural reasons, rather than law and order.
    And... You know, the ever-present threat that you could be disappeared in an instant  :#
    When you say cultural reasons, what would these be?

I guess hard to compare one country to another when cultural behaviours come into play.
  • Obviously not a way it will solve murders in London and UK but I was reading something about domestic abuse and saw they were giving victims 'blunt' pointed kitchen knives in a bid to prevent stabbing in a domestic.

It got me thinking that why do the knives we have in homes, restaurants, wherever, have a pointed ends????

They could start with banning all pointed knives, cutlery, kitchen, anything with a point and all newly pruduced knives have rounded blunt ends. Obviously people need sharp knives for cooking, eating etc but can't see why they need them pointed which again would not stop someone being slashed but make it a hell off a lot harder to stab and kill somone.

Then, if your caught in possession of a pointed knife the only reason you could have one is to have the ability to stab someone. 
  • Leroy mentions the magic word "Scandinavia". It is not their approach to crime that singles them out but their attitude to Society. If you treat people fairly, families will be less prone to break up, children not drawn into crime. Austerity creates not just a lack of police but a lack of respect for others.  The irony being that post code crimes are not committed in W1 or WC1.
  • edited June 2019
    Would be interesting to hear the views of the guys living in China in relation to this debate.
    When you say cultural reasons, what would these be?

I guess hard to compare one country to another when cultural behaviours come into play.
    Being a criminal here brings shame not just on you, but your entire family and can see them removed from pretty much all social circles.

Whilst this isn't true for all of China, people in Yunnan are certainly a lot nicer than anywhere else I have lived before and crime just doesn't happen, my local shop keeps all it's money in a shoebox and I doubt anyone even considered robbing the old couple that run it, things like that just don't happen here.

As Leroy says, the punishments here *can* be a lot stronger but I'm really not convinced that plays a huge role in the lack of violent crime. 

Edit(s)
    **When I say can, some crimes carry a much lesser punishment that back home, a friend of a friend recently failed a peepee test and was given a tiny fine, something that could possibly lead to being fired/incarcerated elsewhere.

Also, leads not pretend this is the land of milk and honey, I recently had to heavily edit a post I'd made on the politics section as I felt I may have gone into too many details of a certain person/party and felt uneasy with where that could have led.
  • I was amazed a few years ago when holidaying in Thailand, coming back on the hotel bus in Chiang Mai one night, a lot of the shop fronts were just open fronted premises. i.e nothing was bolted down and secure, but of course you get a tough sentence and poor prison standards there. Seems to deter most of them all right. Of course you will get some who don't care.
  • Stu, the difference is that in those countries the rich are hidden away. In UK, wealth is flaunted. I am gutted that ten years of austerity still leaves the architects in charge of our country, despite doubling the  national debt inherited from all previous governments going back to medieval times. And the Mail will tell you that Labour are financially irresponsible. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stu, the difference is that in those countries the rich are hidden away. In UK, wealth is flaunted. I am gutted that ten years of austerity still leaves the architects in charge of our country, despite doubling the  national debt inherited from all previous governments going back to medieval times. And the Mail will tell you that Labour are financially irresponsible. 
    Financial Years2010/112011/122012/132013/142014/152015/162016/172017/181
    Deficit141.7123.9123.999.989.975.547.140.7
    as % GDP8.87.57.25.64.83.92.42.0
    Calendar Years20102011201220132014201520162017
    Deficit147.5122.9138.094.099.280.258.036.2
    as % GDP9.37.58.15.35.44.22.91.8
  • edited June 2019
    harveys_gardener your statement may well be correct, I haven't checked, but it is disingenuous and deliberately misleading.
    The main way of preventing the ever increasing government debt due to interest charges, is by reducing the annual deficit.
    The annual deficit as you can see above has fallen from £141 billion per annum in 2010/2011 to £40 billion per annum.
    Whether you agree that the government should be trying to reduce the deficit is an opinion everyone is entitled to make, but don't try and have it both ways by presenting misleading statements. Thanks. (Sorry about the politics AFKA).

• Wealth is not hidden away at all, I'd love you know what youve based that on. I assume you have never visited a true developing country.
  • A man is fighting for life after he was thrown from the Tubeduring a confrontation with another passenger, police said.

The victim suffered a severe chest injury and multiple broken ribs in the incident on a Jubilee line train which had pulled into North Greenwich station.

He was rushed to hospital where he remains in a critical condition.

There have been no arrests, British Transport Police said.

Emergency services were called to the busy station shortly before 9pm on Friday.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/man-fighting-for-life-after-being-thrown-off-tube-during-fight-with-passenger-at-busy-london-station-a4173466.html

• That’s terrible to hear but I have a question. The doors on the train don’t open until the train has stopped. How did such awful injuries occur from a presumably stationary train on a platform ?
  • edited June 2019
    if there was a quick fix it would’ve been done unfortunately there’s no quick fix 

so it needs to be tougher sentencing , tougher jails , tougher response by police on the streets 

and tougher action by social workers who notice the kids at risk of joining the cycle due to parental neglect 

we need a better care system 

we we need more money in community projects not necessarily government money but private funded projects That encourage local businesses to get on board and support

more businesses offering mentoring and mentorship based support to assist with aiding these kids a revenue that takes them from the lifestyle

Our company actively seeks out and supports those that are trying to rebuild their lives after following the wrong path and those individuals are the most loyal and supportive employees

more should do it   

• edited June 2019
    Horrible though it is, the Standard has sensationalised the story by selectively quoting the BTP spokesman. The full quotation referenced the fact that the train had arrived at platform 3. Therefore the doors were open when the victim was 'thrown off the tube'.
    They also add, for the reader's information, the fact that "It came as a man aged in his 20s was shot dead at a block of flats in Feltham, south-west London, also on Friday night." Then they give contact details for anyone with information on the tube incident.
    Informing us, connecting stories for us, adding to the everyday climate of fear for Londoners. 

• Man attacked with a hammer in Mottingham last night.
  • edited July 2019
    Another fatal stabbing today at least one dead, outside co-op/Tellson Avenue shooters hill, school kids this time and not drug related.
  • Another fatal stabbing today at least one dead, outside co-op shooters hill, school kids this time and not drug related.
    Assuming that’s the co-op opposite Charlton Lido ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Another fatal stabbing today at least one dead, outside co-op shooters hill, school kids this time and not drug related.
    No the one further up the road.
    Thanks. The old Brook pub then.
  • Corelli Rd school near there.
    There would have been a murder every week in that pub 25 years ago if knives were the weapon of choice then.
  • Knife arches at every school entrance needed. Two free schools near the old Police Station. Points of conflict whilst waiting for buses.
  • There are pints of conflict at every school, doesnt mean they have to have a knive.

Scum and hope the culprits suffer bad illnesses in life
  • Newshopper says man in 20's not dead.
    Quite a few men in their 20’s are not dead!
    Sounds like i was told a little fib, that's how rumours start, was told it was school kids and one had been stabbed fatally, glad i was wrong.
    There would have been a murder every week in that pub 25 years ago if knives were the weapon of choice then.

Many a scrap in there  on a Friday night 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!