Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If you could own any car what would it be?

123457»

Comments

• Just discovered another to add to my little list, an Austin Champ -

Champs have a 6 speed box and you can use all 6 in forward and reverse - my Dad worked on them in the 50's and 60's when serving with the REME in the Army - he hated them because they are so complicated compared to a Land Rover - Champs were always in and out of the workshop - they were not squaddie proof, unlike a Land Rover - the Champ engine was way ahead of its time but very complex and difficult to work on - engine was designed by Rolls Royce, however to save money the Government got Austin to manufacture them, which was a disaster because Austin were not capable of matching Rolls Royce standards - I have met former soldiers who were in places like Aden, and they were often wary of taking a Champ on patrol because they were worried it would break down on them in places you would not want to break down in as a British Soldier

In short a brilliant design, but not right for an Army

Get yourself down to the War and Peace Show or Military Odyssey and there will be restored ones on show

When they are working well they are no problem in modern traffic - 70mph on the motorway or more no issue - however you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty and constantly maintain them

I nearly bought one, but decided against it as I don't have a garage and I don't have the time to keep on top of the care they need
    Great insight.

A fella I know who collects military vehicles has one and I just love the look, I think it looks more British than the Willys Jeep.

This one's for sale and it says it has an RR B60 engine (probably sales talk) and is tax and MOT exempt?

https://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C982282
  • I had a mate back in the day who had a Champ. It was a right old dog, even by the standards of the early 1970s. Mind you his previous vehicle was a Ford Pilot, so he certainly knew how to pick em!
  • edited September 2018
    I think you have to have two cars - the car of your dreams and the practical one you will drive 95% of the time. The car of my dreams has always been a Lotus Esprit Turbo. Closely followed by the Corvette Stingray and the Ferrari 308 GTB.
  • edited September 2018

My favourite car is my current one - 2016 5.0 V8 Ford Mustang in limited edition orange with a VERY loud Roush exhaust - if you life around Dartford you will have seen me ;well heard me coming first !!)

I do love Mustangs.

Personally I'd love an AC Cobra. My wife got one for my transport on our wedding day. Unbelievable car. The noise, the acceleration, the aesthetics. Everything about it is just fantastic

Sadly cars like most on here are going to disappear in favour of bog standard and bland newer vehicles but you just can't be a good old V8 burble
  • Swisdom said:

My favourite car is my current one - 2016 5.0 V8 Ford Mustang in limited edition orange with a VERY loud Roush exhaust - if you life around Dartford you will have seen me ;well heard me coming first !!)

I do love Mustangs.

Personally I'd love an AC Cobra. My wife got one for my transport on our wedding day. Unbelievable car. The noise, the acceleration, the aesthetics. Everything about it is just fantastic
    The RAC TT race at Goodwood on Sunday had several (original) Cobras racing against lightweight E-Types, Ferraris etc.

The noise they made down the straight was glorious, you can't beat a big thumping V8 at full chat.

• Swisdom said:

I do love Mustangs.

The RAC TT race at Goodwood on Sunday had several (original) Cobras racing against lightweight E-Types, Ferraris etc.

The noise they made down the straight was glorious, you can't beat a big thumping V8 at full chat.

I watched some of that mate. Gotta say the racing drew me in more than the F1 would do. How do they earn money from competing, or are they just minted anyway?
  • Swisdom said:

I do love Mustangs.

I watched some of that mate. Gotta say the racing drew me in more than the F1 would do. How do they earn money from competing, or are they just minted anyway?
    Just minted mate. Costs them a fortune in entry fees alone. A lot are driven by pro drivers on behalf of the owner.

Considering how much they're worth, they don't hang about in them. It's a crying shame when you see an E-type ram a Cobra from behind (as happened on Sunday).

I know someone who often races there and prepares cars for others and he said that it's a privilege to be invited and you never drive like a dick or question any decision that's made by the stewards or you won't get asked back.
  • Swisdom said:

I do love Mustangs.

Just minted mate. Costs them a fortune in entry fees alone. A lot are driven by pro drivers on behalf of the owner.

Considering how much they're worth, they don't hang about in them. It's a crying shame when you see an E-type ram a Cobra from behind (as happened on Sunday).

I know someone who often races there and prepares cars for others and he said that it's a privilege to be invited and you never drive like a dick or question any decision that's made by the stewards or you won't get asked back.
    See a bloke on there who brought the bones of a motor over from Oz (I think), done it up and it was racing round the track. I think an old Mini was practically written off an all. Good sport though

Champs have a 6 speed box and you can use all 6 in forward and reverse - my Dad worked on them in the 50's and 60's when serving with the REME in the Army - he hated them because they are so complicated compared to a Land Rover - Champs were always in and out of the workshop - they were not squaddie proof, unlike a Land Rover - the Champ engine was way ahead of its time but very complex and difficult to work on - engine was designed by Rolls Royce, however to save money the Government got Austin to manufacture them, which was a disaster because Austin were not capable of matching Rolls Royce standards - I have met former soldiers who were in places like Aden, and they were often wary of taking a Champ on patrol because they were worried it would break down on them in places you would not want to break down in as a British Soldier

Get yourself down to the War and Peace Show or Military Odyssey and there will be restored ones on show

When they are working well they are no problem in modern traffic - 70mph on the motorway or more no issue - however you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty and constantly maintain them

I nearly bought one, but decided against it as I don't have a garage and I don't have the time to keep on top of the care they need
    Great insight.

A fella I know who collects military vehicles has one and I just love the look, I think it looks more British than the Willys Jeep.

This one's for sale and it says it has an RR B60 engine (probably sales talk) and is tax and MOT exempt?

Proper Rolls Royce engines in a Champ are v rare - but in any event don't forget it's 1950's technology whether it's an Austin or Rolls, and I dread to think what the parts situation is like now

I think if you have the time, interest, ability and inclination they are a vehicle that would very satisfying to own - defo a head turner and a vehicle 90% of the population will know nothing about

Apparently their off road capability is way better than a Land Rover and they are defo much more comfortable to travel in

I agree much better looking that a Willys - Champs look extra cool with the mounted Bren Gun as well

Oh bloody hell, you have made me want one again !!

Great insight.

Proper Rolls Royce engines in a Champ are v rare - but in any event don't forget it's 1950's technology whether it's an Austin or Rolls, and I dread to think what the parts situation is like now

I think if you have the time, interest, ability and inclination they are a vehicle that would very satisfying to own - defo a head turner and a vehicle 90% of the population will know nothing about

Apparently their off road capability is way better than a Land Rover and they are defo much more comfortable to travel in

I agree much better looking that a Willys - Champs look extra cool with the mounted Bren Gun as well

Oh bloody hell, you have made me want one again !!
    It's a bit out of my price range and beyond my mechanical knowledge, but I did own a 1964 Lambretta once, that spent more time in pieces on the garage floor than what it did on the road
  • Sponsored links:

• Love an American classic like this

Then off across America watching boxing for a couple of years would be my dream

• Swisdom said:

I do love Mustangs.

Sadly cars like most on here are going to disappear in favour of bog standard and bland newer vehicles but you just can't be a good old V8 burble
    Well I can assure those who have a bit of cash on their hip (but not loads) if you want a well built, reliable, well equipped, leather interior blah blah gorgeous looking (mean looking really) super car - get the current (for the first time ever right hand drive) Mustang - and no I don't work for Ford

Life is not a rehearsal - do the things you want to if you can - never look back wishing (Lennie Lawrence quote that)

I get behind the wheel of 'The Beast' and it puts a smile on my face - I am nowhere near the driving capability that the car can deliver - but that 5.0 V8 under the bonnet sounding like WW3 - delicious
  • Swisdom said:

I do love Mustangs.

Well I can assure those who have a bit of cash on their hip (but not loads) if you want a well built, reliable, well equipped, leather interior blah blah gorgeous looking (mean looking really) super car - get the current (for the first time ever right hand drive) Mustang - and no I don't work for Ford

Life is not a rehearsal - do the things you want to if you can - never look back wishing (Lennie Lawrence quote that)

I get behind the wheel of 'The Beast' and it puts a smile on my face - I am nowhere near the driving capability that the car can deliver - but that 5.0 V8 under the bonnet sounding like WW3 - delicious
    I hired one in America to try it out and see if the kids could fit in the back. They can’t.

I’m gutted

• Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I do love Mustangs.

I hired one in America to try it out and see if the kids could fit in the back. They can’t.

I’m gutted

How big’s the boot?
  • Easy.

Ferrari 1962 250GTO. They are worth $49 million. Sell it right away. Buy CAFC. The.... end.
  • Easy.

Ferrari 1962 250GTO. They are worth $49 million. Sell it right away. Buy CAFC. The.... end.

Sell it right away? You’d have to take it for a drive round all your ex girlfriends houses first.
  • Easy.

Sell it right away? You’d have to take it for a drive round all your ex girlfriends houses first.
    Not if while I am driving, Fawaz puts in an offer! I can't risk the 3 minutes.
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I do love Mustangs.

I’m gutted

How big’s the boot?
    Surprisingly the boot is ok
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I do love Mustangs.

I’m gutted

As long as they are not too tall we can get adults in the back - was it the latest version you hired ?
  • 1920s Bentley supercharged.
  • Sponsored links:

• While I've enjoyed this thread greatly, it's now made me feel a little sad.....all those lovely cars that will never be in my garage. Realism kicks in: I'm already too old for that sort of behaviour. In addition, it has brought home the realisation that at 66, I suspect that the cars I've got are going to be as good as it gets: from here on it's only going to get more boring, not more exciting.

So, to cheer myself up I'm driving to Berlin next week. Always good to go play with the Germans on the autobahns! I can feel the overboost kicking in on the turbos already.......
  • Not that into cars and I view them as a functional object for all I care mine could say Armitage Shanks on the boot and it wouldn't bother me a jot.

However if forced into a decision it would be a Triumph TR7 (Green)