Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If you could own any car what would it be?

Comments

• Metro 6R4.
    Not to be confused with a Metro.
    Or RS 200.
    Not to confused with most Fords.
    I like the British 80% rule on those two cars,(20% more and they would of been decent).
  • Something like this would do for me.

• Metro 6R4.
    Or RS 200.
    I like the British 80% rule on those two cars,(20% more and they would of been decent).

My old man did some work with Jonathan Palmer (F1 driver) when I was a kid and he took me over to met him once. At the time he was also racing a RS200 in rally cross and said what a beast it was to drive. Tremendous acceleration, he said it was like being kicked in the back when you dropped the clutch and took off.
  • Metro 6R4.
    Or RS 200.

My old man did some work with Jonathan Palmer (F1 driver) when I was a kid and he took me over to met him once. At the time he was also racing a RS200 in rally cross and said what a beast it was to drive. Tremendous acceleration, he said it was like being kicked in the back when you dropped the clutch and took off.
    I've been on one of Jonathan Palmer's full day programmes at Bedford Autodrome - sensational experience.

But if you're talking rally cars then give me one of these to play with! If you can find one they go for around half a million now!!

• bobmunro said:

Metro 6R4.
    Or RS 200.

I've been on one of Jonathan Palmer's full day programmes at Bedford Autodrome - sensational experience.

But if you're talking rally cars then give me one of these to play with! If you can find one they go for around half a million now!!

I'll have one in Alitalia livery please
  • bobmunro said:

Metro 6R4.
    Or RS 200.

You can get a very close lookie likie kit car of that car.
  • I know the Mk1 is the real classic, but I just love the Mk2.
  • bobmunro said:

Metro 6R4.
    Or RS 200.

You can get a very close lookie likie kit car of that car.
    Yes you can - Lister Bell and Hawk are the best. But even they go for £40-50k
  • bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Some of the old Jags, XK120/XK150 or of course a Series 1 4.2 FHC E-Type :)

But I would settle for a 60s Lamborghini Miura!

My mate’s got an XK150 DHC, lovely car.
    Yes they are.

Friend of mine is or was selling an Old English White XK120 DHC and a Mk 1 Lotus Cortina - both concours.

If only I could have convinced the missus!
    What colour is the Cortina? Remember them in white with a green stripe down the side.
    Yes white and green. He wanted £150k for the Jag and £120k for the Cortina - but they are immaculate - showroom condition. The Lotus also has some racing history.
    I dont suppose you've got a pic of the Mk 1 have you?
    My old guvnor used to rally one in the RAC in the late 70s early 80s. I could have bought it in 1985 for £5000! All kitted out still for racing.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Some of the old Jags, XK120/XK150 or of course a Series 1 4.2 FHC E-Type :)

But I would settle for a 60s Lamborghini Miura!

My mate’s got an XK150 DHC, lovely car.
    Yes they are.

Friend of mine is or was selling an Old English White XK120 DHC and a Mk 1 Lotus Cortina - both concours.

If only I could have convinced the missus!
    What colour is the Cortina? Remember them in white with a green stripe down the side.
    Yes white and green. He wanted £150k for the Jag and £120k for the Cortina - but they are immaculate - showroom condition. The Lotus also has some racing history.
    I dont suppose you've got a pic of the Mk 1 have you?
    My old guvnor used to rally one in the RAC in the late 70s early 80s. I could have bought it in 1985 for £5000! All kitted out still for racing.
    I'll get him to send me some photos.
  • I'd quite like my old Ford Capri 1.6L. back
    Yeh! you needed a stock of camshafts for it and it died from rust...........
    Back in the day, for a working class 20 something it was the dogs doodahs. I loved it.
  • I know the Mk1 is the real classic, but I just love the Mk2.

I love the Mk 2 as well - had a 1600E back in the 70s and that was the car to have back then. Bought it at an auction for £450 at a place on Blackheath Hill. F Reg with the four dials in a pod on top of the dash, before they moved them down into the wooden fascia. Great car.

But for a Lotus it has to be the Mk 1.
  • Cant stick with just the one

356 speedster

DB5

Merc 300sl Gullwing

Splitty

911 GT2 RS

and i'll probably change my mind in about 10 mins.
  • Cant stick with just the one

356 speedster

DB5

Merc 300sl Gullwing

Splitty

911 GT2 RS

and i'll probably change my mind in about 10 mins.

Saw a Merc Gullwing on the Kings Road not too long ago - stunning looking. Hard to believe how old it was.
  • Can never pick one.

I'll take a 30's/40's American car, maybe a Pontiac Torpedo

I'll take a Ferrari 330 P4

I'll take a Nissan GT-R

I'll take a Ferrari LaFerrari

I'll take a Tesla Model X

That should cover all bases
  • edited August 2018
  • sam3110 said:

Can never pick one.

I'll take a Nissan GT-R

With you on the GT-R and Model X. Stunning cars.

I'd quite like my neighbours Classic E type Jag too. He has spent years refurbing it. I dread to think how much that car is worth now.

As it happens, anyone want to hazard a guess at how much insurance my friend pays for her Model X outside her house on her driveway in Lee Green? She's early 30s and got a clean licence.
  • Triumph Vitese
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

sam3110 said:

Can never pick one.

I'll take a Nissan GT-R

I'd quite like my neighbours Classic E type Jag too. He has spent years refurbing it. I dread to think how much that car is worth now.

As it happens, anyone want to hazard a guess at how much insurance my friend pays for her Model X outside her house on her driveway in Lee Green? She's early 30s and got a clean licence.
    Isn't insurance on Tesla's off the chart? Insurance companies have weird policies towards all electrics
  • Are concepts allowed because I really want an Aston Martin DP-100. If not, I'll take the Koenigsegg Agera R please.
  • cafcpolo said:

Are concepts allowed because I really want an Aston Martin DP-100. If not, I'll take the Koenigsegg Agera R please.

Surely you'd have a Polo?
  • Greenie said:

cafcpolo said:

Are concepts allowed because I really want an Aston Martin DP-100. If not, I'll take the Koenigsegg Agera R please.

Surely you'd have a Polo?
    Already got this...

• Rothko said:

JohnBoyUK said:

sam3110 said:

Can never pick one.

I'll take a Nissan GT-R

Isn't insurance on Tesla's off the chart? Insurance companies have weird policies towards all electrics
    Yep. The insurance company insisted that 3 CCTV cameras were installed all with face recognition and only then would they insure her for £14,000 pa. Ouch!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Rothko said:

JohnBoyUK said:

sam3110 said:

Can never pick one.

I'll take a Nissan GT-R

Yep. The insurance company insisted that 3 CCTV cameras were installed all with face recognition and only then would they insure her for £14,000 pa. Ouch!
    If she can afford that, maybe she should buy our club instead?

Honestly, I'd just save the money and burn some fossilised dinosaurs.
  • edited August 2018
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Rothko said:

JohnBoyUK said:

sam3110 said:

Can never pick one.

I'll take a Nissan GT-R

Shocking!
  • A Reliant Scimitar SE5. Had a 1974 model way past it's best. Heavy clutch, heavy steering, appalling interior, dodgy electrics, cracked gel coat, agricultural Essex 3.0 engine, leaked like a sieve in the wet...
    But one of the prettiest body shapes ever designed, apparently inspired the Volvo P1800E and the Lancia Beta HPE, both beautiful looking cars too.

If those quality issues could be sorted out, I'd have one like a shot.

Had a 1600E briefly too, before the engine died. Lovely thing if only for the wooden dash brimming with instruments. BMP 589 H, RIP.

• JohnBoyUK said:

Rothko said:

JohnBoyUK said:

sam3110 said:

Can never pick one.

I'll take a Nissan GT-R

That's incredible, that must do away with any running costs savings, it's a cool car but couldn't you buy and run some really nice motors for that?