Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy Birthday Naby

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Don't spell his name wrong in his card @paulie8290
  • Options
    Is he the worst player ever to be a cult hero ?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Is he the worst player ever to be a cult hero ?

Boooooooo
  • Options
    In all fairness to him he arrived what, 3 years ago (start of 2015-16 season I think) as a 22 yr old in a foreign country he didn’t grow up in

Didn’t start well and got shipped out on loan in what was and is still a tumultuous period for the club. I still think he looks a bit suspect at the back but I think his attitude and work rate has been superb. Tries his hardest. Talented with the ball at his feet and if he can find/maintain some consistency I would like to see him do well and have a run
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Prone to the occasional soft moment but he's a cult hero for the following reasons:

- He is way, WAY too good a footballer (technique-wise) for this level. Watching him lollop around The Valley casting his magic is like watching some benighted star of a top European league, cast into Promethean chains

- He's an absolutely lovely person, as any perusal of his Twitter account will confirm. He's also committed on the field.

- He's a huge, dominating centre-back with loads of flair - a beast in both boxes. I mean, who can't love that?

- He came as a totem of the Network and was therefore on a hiding to nothing with our fans, but has stuck around and shown a genuine affinity for the club. It's an underdog story of sorts.

- For whatever reason :neutral: loads of our fans need little encouragement to boo him or call him shit. Your hatred only makes my love stronger, folks

Lollop is correct
  • Options

NS is a prime example of Network collateral damage. He needed/needs consistent coaching. guidance and a settled run in the team, things pretty unlikely to have happened over the past three wasted years. There is definitely a footballer in there somewhere - could LB turn him into a real beast?

Under this malign regime too many coaches' and players' careers have been blighted. If LB and Jacko can patch together what they've got now, the returning injured, some more really promising young uns, and resurrect Igor and Naby, there's real talent and spirit already "in the building" (stupid expression). To achieve promotion in the present unlikely circs would be the equal of Lennie's 1985/86 Selhurst switch and promotion.

First step, though - Roland out. Today would be good.
  • Options
    Was one of our best players on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Wonder what Katrien got him..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iamdan said:

Wonder what Katrien got him..

Don’t go there :-(
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    bon anniversaire Naby
  • Options

Of course, Sarr was signed for a million ..... but with the intention of being sold for £5 million a year later.
    He was intended to be another profiteering exercise, a buying and selling commodity, to make an already rich man richer.

But there's a human being in there, with human attributes and human failings.
    Naby's got all the tools - except 100% concentration.

If he gets that right as he matures, learns when to keep it simple and when to play, and stop being so damned nice on the park - then we have one hell of a player. And he'll go on to truly achieve his potential.

Happy Birthday, Naby!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Yes Sarr
    That's my Naby
    No Sarr
    I don't mean maybe
    Yes Sarr
    That's my Naby now!!
  • Options
    Naby is a very good player. I thought he had a decent game saturday and that pass to Lapslie in the first half was top drawer. I reckon we could use him in a variety of positions and where we are at the moment we will probably have to.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Prone to the occasional soft moment but he's a cult hero for the following reasons:

- He is way, WAY too good a footballer (technique-wise) for this level. Watching him lollop around The Valley casting his magic is like watching some benighted star of a top European league, cast into Promethean chains

- He's an absolutely lovely person, as any perusal of his Twitter account will confirm. He's also committed on the field.

- He's a huge, dominating centre-back with loads of flair - a beast in both boxes. I mean, who can't love that?

- He came as a totem of the Network and was therefore on a hiding to nothing with our fans, but has stuck around and shown a genuine affinity for the club. It's an underdog story of sorts.

- For whatever reason :neutral: loads of our fans need little encouragement to boo him or call him shit. Your hatred only makes my love stronger, folks

I do like Naby but I feel like you spend a lot of time trying to come up with sinister reasons for why he's not popular. It's obvious why he gets shit from the stands; he's a big centre half who spent the early part of his Charlton career falling over for literally no reason at a time when the fans' tolerance for incompetence was at an all time low. We had crap across the field and in the dugout at that time but it stands out way more at CH when you make catastrophic errors. The only position that gets it worse is goalkeeper, but we've been oddly blessed in recent years with decent ones.

I'd compare the abuse Naby gets with the kind that Ben Hamer would get at times. Hamer was a good shot stopper and unbelievable passer, but he also made his share of mistakes that cost us goals. When the mistakes started coming in he went from ball-playing genius to gobby dickhead more concerned with his bantz than his football, 'milking it' when he had the audacity to celebrate a win at The Valley. You'd think we had Pol Pot in goal sometimes. Or Morgan Fox. Morgan tried, he just wasn't brilliant, but he got absolutely hammered because he wasn't quick, he didn't overlap, he didn't get assists and he had that permanent scared look on his face all the time (wonder why?). Naby was very unlucky with how he was brought in. He cost over a million quid at a time when we weren't spending much at all, with a great reputation as a young player, and we only had three centre halves, one of whom was actually a centre mid. The Championship was way too high a league for him to come in at and when we were short at the back he got thrown in and suffered. It's hard to then wash that stigma off while you stay at the club no matter how much you improve; just ask Premier League club captain Simon Francis. I feel bad for Naby but he's going to have to get an extended decent run in the team to throw off the old perceptions of his ability. I actually like him and when I think of him I still remember that match where we were 3-0 up against Sheffield Wednesday, completely comfortable and he just air-kicked over a routine clearance for them to score. He's definitely in scapegoat territory but there's pretty clear reasons why, he just has to get a run of games and show his class when that time presents itself. Then we'll have a decision to make between Ben Reeves (soft sicknote) and Chris Solly (fallen hero) for new scapegoat.
    Top post.
  • Options
    I think there is a great player in there, but he has been hampered but not playing more than half a season of senior football, often a couple of games at a time. Even with us he often has a different partner and has probably spent more matches as RCB than LCB.
  • Options

I think there is a great player in there, but he has been hampered but not playing more than half a season of senior football, often a couple of games at a time. Even with us he often has a different partner and has probably spent more matches as RCB than LCB.

I'm pretty sure he's only played right centre back in those dire games when he played with Lennon (other than Saturday) .

I've said my piece on Sarr; I think he's garbage but he did ok on Saturday , in the second half especially. If he does turn good, I will have no issue in changing my mind.

Please revise the word "great", however ..
  • Options
    Exactly 25 years younger than me, I feel even older now.
  • Options
    Just watch the entire match on VP. Naby played a blinder!