Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A sobering thought.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:
    He was born in Feb 2000. The new Millenium started Jan 1st 2001, so we are still waiting for the first player born in the new Millenium.
    I make Sporadic right, mathematically.

We count to 10 ..... not 9. :smile:

Sorry, Albie.

Incorrect, as the Gregorian Calender has a year 0, the year of Christ's birth according to Pope Gregory XIII who sadly was not an addick.

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:
    He was born in Feb 2000. The new Millenium started Jan 1st 2001, so we are still waiting for the first player born in the new Millenium.
    I make Sporadic right, mathematically.

We count to 10 ..... not 9. :smile:

Sorry, Albie.

Incorrect, as the Gregorian Calender has a year 0, the year of Christ's birth according to Pope Gregory XIII who sadly was not an addick.

Well, I'll be buggered.

• Options
    masicat said:

JamesSeed said:

My mum supported Charlton from 1933 til 2015 - 83 years.

I bet she wobbled a bit in 1956
    True. She did, but I never asked how long for. I certainly remember her supporting Charlton after her dad died.
  • Options

Acabs dad Jim is 90 years old and a season ticket holder.
    He also still does the occasional away game so must be one of our longest serving supporters.

Can you find out when he first attended?
    Jim started going to Charlton in 1953 aged 25 when he moved to plumstead from Norfolk.
    Acabs grandad started going in the 1020's.
    Acabs has been going since the 60's and has never forgiven them. :wink:
    Thanks.....what I would like to know is who is the longest serving suffering fan....not necessarily who is the oldest.
    Fixed that for you.

• Options

I've recently had the pleasure and indeed honour to meet an Addick who turns 99 next month, and has followed CAFC since he was eight years old. I'm sure that quite a few already know him and he is certainly known to the club and to the Museum's historian. A great man.

This is my 65th season. One way to feel old is to stand next to the 73 year old Keith Peacock ....

That 17 year old who made his debut in the first season I started watching?
  • Options

That would be the one .... season 1962/63
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I've recently had the pleasure and indeed honour to meet an Addick who turns 99 next month, and has followed CAFC since he was eight years old. I'm sure that quite a few already know him and he is certainly known to the club and to the Museum's historian. A great man.

This is my 65th season. One way to feel old is to stand next to the 73 year old Keith Peacock ....

Yes, of course, that rings a bell.....why on earth didn’t I think of him.
    I believe he also posts on one or two Addicks forums if I’m not mistaken and with such clarity and precise diction into the bargain that you’d never for one moment believe his age. I don’t think he posts on here though?
    Can’t see anyone topping that.....incredible.
    That means he must have been going since circa 1926/27ish.......extraordinary, truly extraordinary. 90+ seasons!!!
    Bit embarrassing really to ask him to meet me, something you don’t really ask someone, but I’d genuinely love to meet him......I wonder if it’s possible and how I’d go about it without making myself look a twat and being too obvious.
  • Options
    Re my last post, I may be getting my wires crossed.
    Seems like the guy I was mentioning is not the chap GHF has spoken of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My Dad is 88 and went to his first match on 23rd April 1938, a 0-0 draw in Division One against Man City.

Celebrated his 80 years at the Blackburn game last April.

Fantastic stuff SA, what a stalwart.
  • Options
    1947 my Grandad apparently the cup final year. What a glory hunter :-)
    that's what my Dad said but will ask my Grandad next time I see him to find out his first game. He probably didn't follow us until he was a young adult due to being posted overseas for the war.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Scoham said:
    Imagine the enormous surge of pride at having noticed the date discrepancy and being the first to point it out. That's a stellar level of pedantry.

Then imagine the crushing blow when the spelling mistake in Millennium is pointed out.
    oh the irony...
  • Options
    Love it CS. Have heard those 7 lines thousands of times!!
  • Options
    Not the longest serving supporter, Surrey Addick's Dad obviously beats it by a long way, but the longest serving journalist award must go to Kevin Nolan -71 years a supporter and counting.

(Yes I know he wasn't a journalist at his first game. :smiley: )
  • Options

Started going regular in 1977. It seemed at the time that the ground was full of old-timers who couldn't wait to educate you. The list was always the same;

1) We were football's 'sleeping giants.'
    2) The ground used to be so full at home games that youngster were passed over-head by massed hands down to the front (not sure why).
    3) None of our recent/current players (Derek hales included) could lace the boots of Stuart Leary, Johnny Summers, Sailor Brown or Eddie Firmani.
    4) 'Big' Sam Bartram was the best uncapped English goalkeeper, ever.
    5) The Valley was once earmarked as the 'new Wembley' but inadequate transport links killed that idea off.
    6) The Gliksten's lack of ambition held progress back for decades and they made a fortune from the club.
    7) They were all at the 7-6 Huddersfield game where....

I guess it had an effect as I ended up elaborating the same points to future youngsters. How sad, too, that the story going forward will be even more disappointing by the very mention of Roland Duchatelet's name.

I started going in 1954 so I remember those players. I was also told that there was 70,000 at the Valley every home game. I think it happened 2 or 3 times and two of those were cup games before the war. Once I was told that there was 90,000 there. Whenever I said I was a Charlton supporter people used to say Sam Bartram, you don't remember him do you? Actually I saw him play dozens of times including his five hundredth game against Portsmouth cutting the cake with Jimmy Dickinson. And yes I was at the 7-6 game. Happy memories, not so now.
    You don’t remember that ‘Jimmy Seed’ fella do you? I guess he was on the downward slope in your time...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Started going regular in 1977. It seemed at the time that the ground was full of old-timers who couldn't wait to educate you. The list was always the same;

1) We were football's 'sleeping giants.'
    2) The ground used to be so full at home games that youngster were passed over-head by massed hands down to the front (not sure why).
    3) None of our recent/current players (Derek hales included) could lace the boots of Stuart Leary, Johnny Summers, Sailor Brown or Eddie Firmani.
    4) 'Big' Sam Bartram was the best uncapped English goalkeeper, ever.
    5) The Valley was once earmarked as the 'new Wembley' but inadequate transport links killed that idea off.
    6) The Gliksten's lack of ambition held progress back for decades and they made a fortune from the club.
    7) They were all at the 7-6 Huddersfield game where....

I guess it had an effect as I ended up elaborating the same points to future youngsters. How sad, too, that the story going forward will be even more disappointing by the very mention of Roland Duchatelet's name.

I started going in 1954 so I remember those players. I was also told that there was 70,000 at the Valley every home game. I think it happened 2 or 3 times and two of those were cup games before the war. Once I was told that there was 90,000 there. Whenever I said I was a Charlton supporter people used to say Sam Bartram, you don't remember him do you? Actually I saw him play dozens of times including his five hundredth game against Portsmouth cutting the cake with Jimmy Dickinson. And yes I was at the 7-6 game. Happy memories, not so now.
    You don’t remember that ‘Jimmy Seed’ fella do you? I guess he was on the downward slope in your time...
    Of course I remember him, and his assistant Jimmy Trotter who was also the England trainer.
  • Options

Not the longest serving supporter, Surrey Addick's Dad obviously beats it by a long way, but the longest serving journalist award must go to Kevin Nolan -71 years a supporter and counting.

Does Kevin Nolan still write match reports? Where can I read them online?

• Options
    He was writing on here.

https://www.greenwich.co.uk/sport/
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

He was writing on here.

Also helps that he’s a throughly nice fella.
  • Options

Kevin's report on Tuesday's game.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-make-team-effort-from-league-cup-as-youth-no-match-for-experienced-milton-keynes-side/
  • Options
    clive said:

Kevin's report on Tuesday's game.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-make-team-effort-from-league-cup-as-youth-no-match-for-experienced-milton-keynes-side/
    Thanks, Clive - and to Curb_It, above.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

He was writing on here.

Also helps that he’s a throughly nice fella.
    Agree, known him off and on for years. Top bloke and Charlton through and through. His match reports are the dogs!