Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2 Shrews 1 - Post Match Thread

Comments

• We are going up.
    KAGs pre season was a blow, but this guy can perform for the cameras.

There's 20 goals in those boots!

Karlan looked very dangerous yesterday and I was thinking how much his performance deserved a goal when he scored from a pretty impossible angle.
  • Mag has got two in two up at Bolton, as has Taylor here. I expect Taylor to end up with more than Josh by the end of the season.

You'd hope so too given that one plays for a side expecting to battle against relegation in the championship and the other plays for a side expected to challenge for promotion in league one.
  • Stewart said:

There was more at Luton then at Charlton today.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Luton’s first game at home in a higher division will have given them a boost for the novelty factor. That will begin to fade if they start losing.

When Charlton play Sunderland at home and Luton play Shrewsbury at home do you think there will still be more at Luton than Charlton then as well ?
    Overall no, because Sunderland will bring 3k+, but in the home stands, yes probably.
    Luton sold more season tickets than we have.
  • Stewart said:

Luton’s first game at home in a higher division will have given them a boost for the novelty factor. That will begin to fade if they start losing.

When Charlton play Sunderland at home and Luton play Shrewsbury at home do you think there will still be more at Luton than Charlton then as well ?
    Overall no, because Sunderland will bring 3k+, but in the home stands, yes probably.
    Not really bothered about Luton tbh.
  • Comments from the Shrewsbury Manager

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2018/08/11/john-askey-pleased-with-shrewsbury-town-performance-despite-result/

Dont agree that it was Taylor's fault / backing into their Centre-Backs all day... Mount of time their players had their arms round him or pulling on his shirt was ridiculous

I know it’s been discussed but this has really wound me up, they’re the most horrible side in this division and there isn’t a single thing to like about them. They’re all the same. Horrible niggly fouls all the time, fans who give it the big I am when who are you, what have you ever done?

Thankfully we won’t be playing them for a while and I hope we never have to again at The Valley, but if we do, I hope they get smashed.
  • Aribo was MOM for me, he put in a busy shift during the first half.
    Taylor had pretty poor service but still managed to find the net from only a handful of chances, which is a good sign.

Glad to beat the Shrews, they were far too cocky last year in the play off games.
  • Good win with our injury hit squad and always nice to beat Shrewsbury . Glad Grant finally scored , well deserved . Bowyer has instilled a good team spirit , just hope more fans turn up next game .
  • Sponsored links:

• Stewart said:

Good for you, but it's an interesting comparison whether you think so or not.
  • _MrDick said:

So, there I was doing a bit of cultural stuff around Rhodes Town, following the match on Twitter. Just as the tour guide starts taliking about the German invasion of Rhodes during the Second World War, Karlan nets the winner. I let out a ‘Yessss’ and a fist pump and the whole party turn to look at me. Then a ‘Get in’ before having to explain that my football team have just scored. Turned into a bit of a talking point around the dinner table. #YouReds

Hmm last week whilst following from the beach in Antibes, I heard the first goal go in and the sea seemed bluer, the sun warmer and the French bathers a delight on the senses. When Sunderland's winner went in the sky seems darker, the sea colder and the ladies somehow older and more wrinkly....and I seemed pinker and more burnt than was comfortable. Funny (or not) how last minute goals can alter your mood.
  • edited August 2018
    Croydon said:

Stewart said:

err, I don't think so. First time in this division for 10 years, after being relegated out of the FL a few years later. I have no idea about their owner or their budget/transfer kitty, but I doubt they are in a worse situation than we are with regard to recruiting players and ownership.....and I doubt they have fans opening boycotting games ??

Get real.
  • One negative - -Marshall was dreadful
  • Are the goals available to see anywhere?

• A nice touch at the final whistle: Taylor came over from the dugout to give his shirt to a kid in the Covered End. Our new striker exudes good vibes. Valley of Joy!

He'll probably get fined and sold for wasting Douchbags money.
  • Croydon said:

Stewart said:

err, I don't think so. First time in this division for 10 years, after being relegated out of the FL a few years later. I have no idea about their owner or their budget/transfer kitty, but I doubt they are in a worse situation than we are with regard to recruiting players and ownership.....and I doubt they have fans opening boycotting games ??

Get real.
    Isn't that the point of the comparison?

The fact that under this ****'s ownership we are now getting smaller crowds than a side who less than 10 years ago were deducted 30 points because of terrible ownership and dropped out of the league. And as recently as 2014 were still playing in the conference.

Thanks a lot Roly.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018

Roland will be deducting the price of a new shirt from each of their wages.

• Stewart said:

Luton haven’t been owned by Roland for four years
  • JamesSeed said:

wmcf123 said:

One negative - -Marshall was dreadful

World’s nicest man, played out of position. Worked his socks off on the right up at Sunderland and received a few plaudits. Let’s not write him off yet yet (not that you have of course), more of a general plea.
    Indeed; although I wouldn't say out of position ; he's two footed and has played there before. LB must have agreed with me; it would have been easy enough to have kept him on and shifted Lapslie into the middle, but he went for a complete novice.

• Oggy Red said:

Just watched the highlights on the Sky video.

Neither manager is going to be happy with the defending.

Lovely forward run into space in the box by Pratley, who did ever so well to turn and dig out that little cross to the near post; Grant's quick anticipation and movement was 1st class. Quality to see his marker, number 6, standing all alone on the 6 yard line having lost his man - no doubt he knows his manager will give him both barrels.

Very disappointed that we again conceded from the deep cross into the box, similar to Sunderland's late winner last week.
    Teams will continue to exploit that vulnerability.

A problem when your 5'3" right back is playing LCB.
    Agreed, this will always be an issue with Solly playing as a third centre back.
  • edited August 2018
    How tall were Chris Perry and Peter Reeves? They bring other plus points to the role. Just saying like. :wink:
  • edited August 2018

Oggy Red said:

Just watched the highlights on the Sky video.

Neither manager is going to be happy with the defending.

Lovely forward run into space in the box by Pratley, who did ever so well to turn and dig out that little cross to the near post; Grant's quick anticipation and movement was 1st class. Quality to see his marker, number 6, standing all alone on the 6 yard line having lost his man - no doubt he knows his manager will give him both barrels.

Very disappointed that we again conceded from the deep cross into the box, similar to Sunderland's late winner last week.
    Teams will continue to exploit that vulnerability.

A problem when your 5'3" right back is playing LCB.
    Agreed, this will always be an issue with Solly playing as a third centre back.
    Solly is 5'8" - Chris Perry was 5'9"...

Erhun Oztumer is 5'3" and scored a header against us at the Valley last season
  • RedChaser said:

How tall were Chris Perry and Peter Reeves? They bring other plus points to the role. Just saying like. :wink:

True... But Perry was a natural centre back and had rocket boots so not an entirety fair comparison...
  • thenewbie said:

RedChaser said:

True... But Perry was a natural centre back and had rocket boots so not an entirety fair comparison...
    Fair enough Chris Perry was a defender first and foremost as is Chris Solly, they both knew / know how to defend and read the game which is my main point. I've been there, done it , got the tee shirt. :wink: