Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jed Steer - keeper - on loan from Villa

123457»

Comments

• Options

Redhenry said:

Got low marks again this week. This guy is way above league one level and we are are lucky to have him, let's all get behind him.

I think the low marks were a good sign of how much he's improved

He wasnt really forced into a save against Gillingham yet his distribution was Dean Kiely-esque which for him is poor
    It was his distribution as said that is the reason as to why my lower mark was given. The rest of his performance on Saturday was absolutely fine.

I’ve got the most irritating people in front of me at The Valley, they have a Phillips flag and every single touch Steer makes, even if it’s a great save they boo. So I make a point of cheering him even louder.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Redhenry said:

Got low marks again this week. This guy is way above league one level and we are are lucky to have him, let's all get behind him

Low marks in transfer window 😉

• Options

Redhenry said:

Got low marks again this week. This guy is way above league one level and we are are lucky to have him, let's all get behind him.

"again"?

His lowest score for weeks, indeed since Coventry at the start of October. He had a relatively poor game, but has hardly been crucified here
    I wasn't referring to his average mark, just that some punters give him 4 and 5s regularly.
  • Options
    You beat me to the exact same post oohahh

I get people like Phillips, he's one of our own etc but even if it was up for debate at the start of the season it's clear now Steer is the best keeper on our books so should be playing regularly. Neither Steer or Phillips deserve to be booed.
  • Options
    It's not Steer's fault that Phillips has been badly treated.
  • Options

Sage said:

Redhenry said:

I think the low marks were a good sign of how much he's improved

He wasnt really forced into a save against Gillingham yet his distribution was Dean Kiely-esque which for him is poor
    It was his distribution as said that is the reason as to why my lower mark was given. The rest of his performance on Saturday was absolutely fine.

I’ve got the most irritating people in front of me at The Valley, they have a Phillips flag and every single touch Steer makes, even if it’s a great save they boo. So I make a point of cheering him even louder.
    A Phillips flag and booo Steer wtf
    I mean we have some proper weirdo support but that’s another level
    It's Phillips' dad :smile:
    I assure you both, they’re proper odd balls. I am certain that if you saw who they are, you’d know exactly who I am talking about.

Does my head in how they jeer him and act as if they’ve just had an orgasm each time they see Phillips.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I believe he literally didn't have a save to make, and his kicking was often poor, so I suspect that's why. I think his average scores (not counting the outliers) are lower because our defense has been pretty good at limiting chances in recent weeks. I feel like three or four times I've written "Didn't have a lot to do, when he did he did well."

Completely agree though, think he's above this level. His distribution for this level is largely excellent. His concentration is arguably his strongest suit, so many games he has little or nothing to do but distributes well and then comes up with a big save or two. And that is really hard to find at this level.

Would love it if we could work out a way to sign him in the summer, let alone January. I think it will be a tough proposition and let's be honest Roland isn't going to spend that kind of money.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Redhenry said:

You are so right. It's so annoying that most fans can't comprehend this.
    We're in Decemeber and still only about 80% are convinced.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

I believe he literally didn't have a save to make, and his kicking was often poor, so I suspect that's why. I think his average scores (not counting the outliers) are lower because our defense has been pretty good at limiting chances in recent weeks. I feel like three or four times I've written "Didn't have a lot to do, when he did he did well."

Completely agree though, think he's above this level. His distribution for this level is largely excellent. His concentration is arguably his strongest suit, so many games he has little or nothing to do but distributes well and then comes up with a big save or two. And that is really hard to find at this level.

Would love it if we could work out a way to sign him in the summer, let alone January. I think it will be a tough proposition and let's be honest Roland isn't going to spend that kind of money.
    Isn't he out of contract in the summer?

After splashing out on Kalinic the Croatian no.1 goalkeeper I can't see them worrying about offering Steer a new contract and they can't sell him in January as he's already played for us and Villa so can't play for anybody else, so would expect barring Steer signing a new Villa contract on the basis he'd be 3rd or 4th choice I expect Villa would be happy for him to walk on a free in the summer and clear his wages from the books.

Would be great if we could snap him up on a free this summer but expect we'd need to be promoted for this to happen.
  • Options
    Just made a fantastic save in the playoff match
  • Options
    He and Phillips are both very fine keepers, is how I break it down 
  • Options
    A strange season for him. Loaned out by one manager, made first choice by the next one!