Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jed Steer - keeper - on loan from Villa

Comments

• I hate having keepers on loan, take time to settle and form an understanding with the team then BANG the season is over and we start again next summer.

would honestly rather Phillips was the number one with M-B on the bench.

With Phillips out of contract in the summer we could be starting again next season anyway.
  • edited August 2018

he'll start with Brewer on the bench and Phillips out on loan to get more confidence and experience .. I pray that Steer stays fit as we have enough crocks to stock a china shop

I presume you’re joking ?
    no
  • edited August 2018
    Welcome to the asylum Jed and I wish you every success. Although my sources tell me Bowyers first choice @DaveStorry turned us down stating he has to finish tiling his bathroom. ;)
  • Scoham said:

I hate having keepers on loan, take time to settle and form an understanding with the team then BANG the season is over and we start again next summer.

With Phillips out of contract in the summer we could be starting again next season anyway.
    Steer is also out of contract next summer.
  • Richard J said:

Scoham said:

I hate having keepers on loan, take time to settle and form an understanding with the team then BANG the season is over and we start again next summer.

Steer is also out of contract next summer.
    And, hey presto! ..... we have our keeper already settled, signing a permanent contract in time to play for us on our return to the Championship next season.
    Bowyer was right about winning promotion.

• Good signing .
  • Good signing, no way near enough to compensate the poor window. One thing though, i think Bowyer is a good pull in this division. Steve Gallen mentioned it after we signed Taylor, of course you can read into that how you want, what's frustrating is the fact with some financial backing we could of made some brilliant signings for league one imo.
  • Happy with this signing. It's not as if he's automatically going to be first choice anyway

No way should we be signing someone who'd clearly the number 2 to Phillips, who's inexperienced and yet to prove himself, we need 2 decent keepers.

• Oggy Red said:

SDAddick said:

We need bodies. He is one. Expect he'll challenge Phillips. That might make Phillips better, it might mean he ends up second choice and we lose him next summer. But this makes us a better team right now.

Bowyer has already said he wants to bring in a keeper to push Dillon Phillips.

No doubt, Phillips has the shirt tomorrow. It's his to lose.
    That's how it should be.

But the new lad hasn't come here to sit on the bench all season.

personally I thought he lost the shirt last week. I know he's young and first game of the season but if we have a better keeper there's no time for sentiment. Serious danger of a relegation battle this season and he cost us 3 points last week.
    Yeah right - all other goalkeepers are perfect.
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:

My Villa supporting friend says he is very Injury prone and made one the worst clangers he has ever seen in a pre season match against Dresden a few weeks back.

I thought it was only Dillon that made mistakes according to some of our supporters? Hopefully Steer can be dropped as soon as he makes a mistake for us and we can have a go at him instead.

I
  • edited August 2018
    did Jed get this kind of Valley welcome ?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45142891

((:>)
  • I think this is probably a good signing. just not sure it was a priority. If we are scratching around, trying to save money at every opportunity, then i just feel his wages could have been better spent else where. I don't know.....maybe a midfielder.
    I think Phillips is unlucky. he has excelled when out on loan and deserves a chance in my mind. i feel a Darren Randolph scenario here. although I accept not at the same level.
  • Played 5 out of 6 villa pre season games plus the game v Hull on Saturday. I doubt hes coming here to warm the bench

If he's coming here as No1 then I hope Dillon goes out on loan.
    I don't unless we have an immediate recall.
    If Steer gets injured we'll be back to Maynard-Brewer in goal.
  • Welcome Steer. Good acquisition on paper. Best of luck.

Some people just love to bloody moan. I’m sure if Ronaldo rocked up in his last season as a pro, there would be complaints from fans about how high his socks are!
  • robroy said:

Welcome Steer. Good acquisition on paper. Best of luck.

Some people just love to bloody moan. I’m sure if Ronaldo rocked up in his last season as a pro, there would be complaints from fans about how high his socks are!

Personally I would be worried about how many of Sue's vol au vents he would eat. Ah wait Cristiano?
  • Good signing, Phillips isn't tested at this level. This guy has played well at a level above.
  • Hmmmm I did say to myself that if the loan signing was a keeper I wouldn't be happy seeif as we need a few more outfield players as a priority, however bit undecided now. On paper a better keeper than Philips and probably likely to become our number one this season.... Which is a shame as would rather have seen Phillips given the nod.

Of course next season will be the real GK trouble, as if Phillips does end up as second choice again and no loan out... He won't be staying on for another season which will leave us with AMB only.

I don't think it's right to be unhappy that we've brought in a better player, which strengthens the squad.
    I like Phillips and would have been happy for him to get a chance, but Steer has more experience, a better pedigree and appears to be a better player. I'm happy that the best man plays and am pleased that we now have no goalkeeper concerns (assuming Phillips stays).
  • If Steer is to be first choice then give Phillips all the cup games, that should be all of 5 games.
  • luke1 said:

Good signing, Phillips isn't tested at this level. This guy has played well at a level above.

If Phillips doesn't play he'll never get tested and then people will say he doesn't have enough experience. Unless I'm mistaken you have to play to get experience?

Steer might be a good keeper but he's also highly injury prone - Villa see him as a risk.

It's always a risk with young players but there's no point having them if you won't give them a chance.

• Sponsored links:

• Is he the first Jed to play for us ?

• edited August 2018
    Welcome Jed. Hope you do well. Dillon deserves his chance, but you need a minimum of two senior keepers in a squad under any circumstances so this doesn’t have to mean Phillips won’t get any opportunities. Not saying I want him dropped but he got a chance on Saturday and messed up to allow a goal so it’s not like he has made himself undroppable and I’m glad we now have another keeper with a bit more proven pedigree to provide an alternative to Dills.
  • I think this is probably a good signing. just not sure it was a priority. If we are scratching around, trying to save money at every opportunity, then i just feel his wages could have been better spent else where. I don't know.....maybe a midfielder.
    I think Phillips is unlucky. he has excelled when out on loan and deserves a chance in my mind. i feel a Darren Randolph scenario here. although I accept not at the same level.

It might not be as high a priority as an outfield player, but if Dillon strained a muscle today or after 20 minutes tomorrow, I'm really glad we don't have to play AMB
  • edited August 2018
    Sounds a decent signing and good competition for Dillon, welcome aboard. We needed a second keeper, now we have one.

Let him and Dillon battle for first choice, if it means Dil’s sits on the bench for another season and leaves next summer then so be it. The one thing you cannot accuse Charlton of currently is not giving youngsters a chance, if he is good enough, I am sure he will play, simple.
  • Great signing. I see that Bows and Bruce know each other very well. A good sign of things to come? Let’s all hope so.
  • did Jed get this kind of Valley welcome ?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45142891

((:>)

Nope. The Comms team had tried to take a video of him all steamed up in the shower.

But Roland had ordered the water to be turned off.
  • I'd imagine Steer will be our No1 asap, but Phillips will play tomorrow as Steer has only just got here & wont know his team mates or tactics (not that we have any of either).

At least we can fill the bench with 5 again......2 gk's making up the numbers.
  • Happy with this.