Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jed Steer - keeper - on loan from Villa

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

SDAddick said:

We need bodies. He is one. Expect he'll challenge Phillips. That might make Phillips better, it might mean he ends up second choice and we lose him next summer. But this makes us a better team right now.

Bowyer has already said he wants to bring in a keeper to push Dillon Phillips.

No doubt, Phillips has the shirt tomorrow. It's his to lose.
    That's how it should be.

But the new lad hasn't come here to sit on the bench all season.

Be interesting to see who starts?
  • Options
    cafc83 said:

He has had a lot of injuries in the past few years apparently, Bruce doesn't want to take the chance that he will break down again.

Cushty!
  • Options

cafc83 said:

He has had a lot of injuries in the past few years apparently, Bruce doesn't want to take the chance that he will break down again.

Cushty!
    Just read about his injury record - pretty impressive!
  • Options

cafc83 said:

Cushty!
    Don't worry Dr Dearth and Nurse Cratchett in our medical team are primed and ready!
  • Options

cafc83 said:

Cushty!
    Don't worry, it's an achilles injury he's struggled with, so the recently established Ahmed Kashi ward will keep him nice and comfortable while he recuperates for the entirety of his loan. I hear they have Netflix in there now!
  • Options

Not yet on the OS.

It can't be true.

#WIOTOS :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

SDAddick said:

We need bodies. He is one. Expect he'll challenge Phillips. That might make Phillips better, it might mean he ends up second choice and we lose him next summer. But this makes us a better team right now.

Bowyer has already said he wants to bring in a keeper to push Dillon Phillips.

No doubt, Phillips has the shirt tomorrow. It's his to lose.
    That's how it should be.

But the new lad hasn't come here to sit on the bench all season.

personally I thought he lost the shirt last week. I know he's young and first game of the season but if we have a better keeper there's no time for sentiment. Serious danger of a relegation battle this season and he cost us 3 points last week.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Not yet on the OS.

It can't be true.

#WIOTOS :smile:

Probably too late to go in the programmes as well :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can he play in midfield as well?
  • Options
    Hopefully not a bum Steer....
  • Options

he was in goal for them against Hull .. would be odd if he's now surplus to Villa requirements .. he's an experienced keeper who's never quite made it at the highest level .. I think he'll make us stronger, IF he arrives

They've since signed Ørjan Nyland who is the Norwegian National Team Goalkeeper

Guess its back to the bench for Dillon
    Quite unusual for someone to play the first game of the season, then get loaned out 3 days later!
    Nyland was only signed this Tuesday though
  • Options
    There we are then... all excited about a crocked reserve goalkeeper from a second division team on a loan! It is up there with Di Canio and Costa.
  • Options
    He will get injured first game he plays and out for the season.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Good keeper who is an improvement on Phillips I reckon - and I say that as a fan of Phillips. I'm pretty sure we were linked with Jed Steer before we signed Declan Rudd a couple of years ago? Successive goalkeeping coaches and managers obviously don't rate Phillips for some reason.

Steer Dislocated his shoulder in January of this year so a good move for him to get some games this season. Is this the third season in a row we've had a loan goalkeeper as first choice? At some point we're going to have sign a permanent one surely.
  • Options
    "Bruce said: "Jed has gone out on loan this morning. We wish him the best of luck. He's been frustrated with the injuries and we hope it works out for him.

"The second day I came here he ruptured his Achilles, last year he dislocated his shoulder.

"I don't know if it's done yet. No, not quite? Oh, I've jumped the gun!"

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/confirmed-steve-bruce-reveals-aston-15012655

• Options
    Wonder if we could get Ross McCormack on loan... ;)
  • Options

Wonder if we could get Ross McCormack on loan... ;)

He's on big big money - annual salary of £2.3 million and a bonus of £1m if Villa get promoted, regardless of whether he plays or not.

Plays well at The Valley though that's for sure!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we do sign him, I see it as a positive step that we are going in the right direction.
  • Options
    Just noticed that Jed Steer went on loan to Huddersfield in 2015 so was initially signed by Chris Powell before he was sacked

So if he rated him thats good enough for me
  • Options
    Did bowyer play under Bruce at Birmingham? If so may be using his connections
  • Options

There we are then... all excited about a crocked reserve goalkeeper from a second division team on a loan! It is up there with Di Canio and Costa.

Oh sorry, forgot we were in the Prem. Let's just go out there and sign, say Toby Alderweireld on loan then (best modern equivalent in terms of situation I can think of for Costa, even if he's a bit younger), or Giuseppe Rossi on a one-year deal.

I'm not exactly excited by this signing, but it's a good sensible move. Steer is a decent keeper and Phillips can be prone to a clanger, so competition there is good.
  • Options

One little nugget of interest, perhaps:

" Steer played a vital role in the 2010–11 FA Youth Cup; in the Third Round, he saved a penalty in the last minute against Charlton Athletic to ensure Norwich won the game 1–0. His coach Ricky Martin said after the game:

"He's probably the best under-18 goalkeeper in the country, If ever you wanted somebody in goal Jed's the one and he stepped up and made a fantastic save."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jed_Steer

• Options

Nah was there under McLeish
  • Options

I thought he played under McLeish
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

One little nugget of interest, perhaps:

" Steer played a vital role in the 2010–11 FA Youth Cup; in the Third Round, he saved a penalty in the last minute against Charlton Athletic to ensure Norwich won the game 1–0. His coach Ricky Martin said after the game:

"He's probably the best under-18 goalkeeper in the country, If ever you wanted somebody in goal Jed's the one and he stepped up and made a fantastic save."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jed_Steer

I wondered where he'd got to...............just hope his coaching was better than his singing.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

How tall is he?

How wide is he..?