Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD deliver 100 bottles of water to Sparrows Lane

Comments

• Options

Timing not great as the story will likely be hidden by the scale and ambition of our deadline-day signings.

Let's hope they all go through okay....
  • Options
    Of all the many things emanating from CARD I don't agree with over the past few years - but this is spot on.

Well done
  • Options
    Genius! Well done chaps & chapettes!
  • Options
    Quality.
    I wish it wasn't raining today though :-(
  • Options
    Love it!
  • Options
    Excellent. Well done.
  • Options
    Great idea, well done to all those involved.
    I hope you sent one to Duchebag?
  • Options
    Well done CARD. An inventive idea with a touch of fools and horses to embarrass Duchelet. Hurrah!
  • Options

Excellent... well done CARD

Any idea how it was received @ Sparrows Lane

By van I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you planning on doing this more often @Airman Brown ?

Daily deliveries?
  • Options

By van I think
    So glad I changed it from asking how it went down @ Sparrows Lane
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Likewise I've more often than not disagreed with previous CARD tactics but this one is spot on well done CARD.

My only concern is the old scrote will absorb any media attention that reaches him over this while being delighted somebody else has covered some of his penny pinching. It might start giving him ideas what else he can cut that someone else will pay for.

Either way well done CARD.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Solidgone said:

Well done CARD. An inventive idea with a touch of fools and horses to embarrass Duchelet. Hurrah!

Were they bottles of Peckham Spring?!
    Charlton Spring.
  • Options
    Water great idea! (Sorry)

This is truly brilliant and just shows what a great bunch our supporters are. My hat is off and will always remain off for CARD. What a great gesture too and hope the academy players enjoy the water without any employees taking them away.
  • Options
    Great stuff. Been chuckling for a good couple of minutes. What a prick Duchatelet is.
  • Options
    Order 1000 to be delivered to his house
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

I'll go first.

Plastic bottles? Disappointed in this. CARD obviously doesn't care about the environment and are willing to kill the planet to further their own agendas.

Who wants soggy card?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

By van I think
    Driver's name was Aquarius
  • Options

Order 1000 to be delivered to his house

yep, likely to be more effective imo

• Options
    Send him 1 bottle a day to his house in these times of austerity

Better still - send him a can of Fosters every day
  • Options
    CARD said:

HAVE A DRINK ON US, CHARLTON FANS TELL CLUB’S THIRSTY YOUNG PLAYERS!

Just days after Charlton Athletic’s billionaire owner made national headlines by rationing water to academy players during a heatwave, the club’s fans have stepped in to provide their own.

Rationing water and electricity – staff have been told to hold meetings in the dark rather than turn on lights – is the latest cost-saving measure deployed by Belgian Roland Duchatelet, who has forced the club’s youngest players to queue for tap water during the hottest summer for a generation.

He has also taken away free breakfasts from Charlton’s academy players - despite having received more than £15m from the sale of players from the club’s highly rated academy in recent years.

On Thursday morning Charlton’s academy players had something to stave off the heat, however, thanks to the Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD), which delivered three crates of bottled water to the club’s training ground in New Eltham.

The water bottles are emblazoned with the slogan “We want our water back”, an adaptation of the regular chants against Duchatelet from Charlton fans that “We want our Charlton back”. The specially designed label says the water has been “Provided by Charlton fans for our academy players because our billionaire owner won’t”.

A CARD spokesperson said: “Restricting water for young players while they are doing intensive pre-season training in the recent extraordinary temperatures is not only the latest in a long line of ridiculous decisions by Duchatelet, it’s also dangerous for the players.

“The first-team players are still being supplied with bottled water, so it’s clearly nothing to do with environmental concerns.

“The club says the decision has been taken because it needs to be more cost-conscious, but Duchatelet has been the owner for four years so he has been in charge of all the decisions that have led the club to its current position languishing in League One, and a debt of around £65m – far and away the biggest in the club’s history.”

A dozen first-team players have left the club since the end of last season, with only two new ones recruited by Lee Bowyer, who has been acting as caretaker manager since March. Consequently, the squad is so depleted that Bowyer was only able to name five out of the permitted seven substitutes in last Saturday’s first game of the season – and the five including three youngsters who have never started a league match.

Among the former Charlton academy players to have been sold by Duchatelet in recent years are England international Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Ademola Lookman (Everton), Ezri Konsa (Brentford) and Morgan Fox (Sheffield Wednesday). England World Cup goalkeeper Nick Pope is another young player who was quickly sold on from The Valley.

CARD recently called on fans to boycott The Valley until Duchatelet sells the club and remains committed to exposing and embarrassing his regime, which has been without a chief executive since December and without a chief finance officer since February. The club has no chairman, no functioning board of directors and Duchatelet has not seen the team play live in this country since October 2014.

Notes for editors: This story published by The Independent last week gives the background to some of the cutbacks at Charlton: Charlton Athletic: From Premier League perennial to rationing food and water.

Most people....not connected to the club would think that was a wind up....you really couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    Superb, well done to all involved.

Mind you looking out my window in Kent Hot Chocolate might have been a better choice :wink:
  • Options
    Well done CARD.
    Where do I make my next donation to the water fund/breakfast club?
  • Options
    Perfect timing on deadline day too. Well done CARD.
  • Options
    Hope our resident news hounds get this widely publicised. Brilliant thinking with this stunt. Well done CARD