Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 11 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018
    they have bought 15 players this season. they have the personnel to play 2 different sides. we can just manage to have 4 subs 3 of which are youngsters just so the bench is less drafty

I actually think it'll be a draw just cos they're lot have had no time to gel as a team and we can play ok as we saw against Sunderland. just hope that Bowyer realises that when players in the last 10 mins are breathing out their arse then its best to get a sub on even if it is a kid.

• Options

What happened to them making a decision either way on Dawkins

Got till the end of August to make a decision on him
  • Options

I know but last week Bowyer said "we will definitely be making a decision on Dawkins either way this week"
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I know but last week Bowyer said "we will definitely be making a decision on Dawkins either way this week"
    Maybe he's delayed his decision based on whether we can get anyone better in i.e. if we're signing a Midfielder | Defender | Goalkeeper (one player for each position) that midfielder could now be O'Kane who'll sign in the coming weeks and will surely be a step up from Dawkins, unfortunately we the fans know that ideally we need more than one player per position and would be ideal having both O'Kane and Dawkins really (even if the latter is just on a short term deal until our Midfielders are back from injury)

Doesnt sound as though there is anyone else interested in him at the moment so dont sound like we have to rush
  • Options
    Its one thing to be only looking to recruit quality players but the strategy looks stupid when we cannot fill the bench. I know it is not really a strategy just our current state. I dislike the Salop with a vengeance after last season which shows how far we have fallen. Horrible club playing a terrible style of football. Bowyer said some silly things in the play offs but to be punched by their so called fans is not warranted. Sadly I can see them stick 10 men behind the ball, stop us playing and then nick a goal on the counter as we tire at the end. 1-0 to Shrewsbury.
  • Options

Have we played the same team for last home fixture and first home fixture in consecutive seasons previously. We'll see how far apart we are again. They're fans must be gutted to get so close and haemorrhage talent.

Maybe a 2-1 win in front of lowest opening home game crowd since 80's.

Carnival atmosphere in the stands as fans do the conga to the tune, 'Things can only get better'

1968/9 season lost 1-0 home to Preston - we missed 2 pens
    1969/70 beat Preston home first home game - missed another pen
  • Options

Its one thing to be only looking to recruit quality players but the strategy looks stupid when we cannot fill the bench. I know it is not really a strategy just our current state. I dislike the Salop with a vengeance after last season which shows how far we have fallen. Horrible club playing a terrible style of football. Bowyer said some silly things in the play offs but to be punched by their so called fans is not warranted. Sadly I can see them stick 10 men behind the ball, stop us playing and then nick a goal on the counter as we tire at the end. 1-0 to Shrewsbury.

I disliked some of their fans, but no idea how their team will play as their team has changed so much
  • Options
    Given the likelihood of Page getting injured I'm surprised LB didn't stick Mascoll on the bench last week. Not sure if he's ready for the step up but surely we have to have at least one defender on the bench. It's gone beyond ridiculous.
  • Options

Have we played the same team for last home fixture and first home fixture in consecutive seasons previously. We'll see how far apart we are again. They're fans must be gutted to get so close and haemorrhage talent.

Maybe a 2-1 win in front of lowest opening home game crowd since 80's.

Carnival atmosphere in the stands as fans do the conga to the tune, 'Things can only get better'

1968/9 season lost 1-0 home to Preston - we missed 2 pens
    1969/70 beat Preston home first home game - missed another pen
    Ah, the Ray Crawford months.

Remember, the final game of 68/69 season was such an anti-climax after such a wonderful season.
    We had to win and Palace lose, to go up in 2nd place.

The news filtered through on the transistor radio early in the 2nd half that Palace were winning 3-0.
    Our team played like they'd also heard. And our game just turned to ratsh*t.

• Options
    Steer straight in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Steer straight in

You need to Steer straight first.

It's not even confirmed that Steer has signed yet.
    He might not even be registered in time for tomorrow.

When it's on the OS and all that.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Steer straight in

Brave to assume we have someone to do the paperwork and then someone to update the web site. However, bet the vol au vents and the heavies from security are already booked.
  • Options
    sm said:

Oggy Red said:

Steer straight in

Brave to assume we have someone to do the paperwork and then someone to update the web site. However, bet the vol au vents and the heavies from security are already booked.
    That'll be Olly Groome, I expect.

He's welcomed the player at the gates at Sparrows Lane, done the medical himself, dealt with the player's registration form and sent it off. Then he's picked the team for tomorrow and let Bowyer know.

Finally he's taken the photo of Jed Steer with Scarfy, written the article and published it on the website.
    All in his office with the lights switched off.

Staff cutbacks, you know.

• Options
    Battling home win 1-0.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4~0.
  • Options
    Shatty away win. 0-4
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Enjoy the game tomorrow guys - so disillusioned at the moment that I shall be missing the first home league of the season for the first time since 1980.

Please serenade the Shrewsbury fans with a rousing chorus of "Wembley and you effed it up" for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rather than speculate on the score, my mind keeps drifting to who will get injured in this game!
  • Options
    Will be at a funeral during the match. Fitting really given our current situation. 0-0
  • Options
    I dreamt we would win 4-0 last night... Would be very surprised but somewhat accepting of that.
  • Options
    I’m over from oz and I’ve made other plans instead of getting to the game. I’m usually proper excited about getting down the valley at the start of the season if I’m here.

But I just cannot be arsed with Charlton with RD in charge. I feel apathy. I watched the game in a bar in Kuala Lumpur last week, and was jumping out of my seat all game. Then Charlton done a Charlton, and lose in the 96th minute.

LB not even filling the bench pissed me off. As if RD gives a flying fuck how many players we field.

So I apologise for my crap attitude this morning, it’s very unlike me, but I couldn’t give a shite about Charlton at the mo. And that kills me.

I also think we will lose today. 0-2.

Hip Hip Hoo feckin Ray.
  • Options
    Can't remember the last time I missed the first game of the season; the lad's in Edinburgh, Chunky's in America, and no-one else is interested.
    We'll concede the winner in the 94th minute.
  • Options
    I have the same feeling

Usually on the first home game I would be down Charlton by 11/12, getting the VE today and really couldn't care, expecting us to lose, It's just not the same anymore.
  • Options
    1-1 draw, hopefully he will make some subs today if the game is getting away from us.
  • Options
    Hoping we can win, but head is ruling heart.....1-2 defeat.
  • Options
    1-1 they should still have a nucleus of the squad who took them so far last year.
  • Options
    2-1 Shrewsbury, we just do not have the depth in our squad