Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAST Need to act

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018

• Options

Mametz said:

How about supporting something that is already working to get Roland out?

It's a one off, extremely timely initiative - ROT.

Don't think we can just wait for that, to be honest. More needs to happen and more quickly, in a place where many people can get involved more easily. We need to make the football authorities and the local authorities uncomfortable here.
    Not at all sure I understand this comment.

ROT are asking for support from people acting immediately by becoming members and thus giving financial support. They are also asking for volunteers to go to Belgium in less than two weeks time to deliver leaflets and other propaganda.

Have you a plan to make the football authorities and the local (?) authorities uncomfortable quicker than that?
    I wish you well with it, but it’s not a solution of itself, which I think some of you are in danger of mistaking it for. It’s just another protest and one that’s difficult for 99 per cent of fans to participate meaningfully in and hard to get a critical mass of local people to engage in, beyond the bubble of publicity you will create around it.

Already there is a narrative being set up that it would have been more successful if only CARD or me or someone else had done more to make it work, complete with the usual look-at-me tweets from the B20 account, often factually mistaken as this weekend and taken down when others involved point that out. How does that help anyone? Do you think it encourages those being dug out to get involved, two and a half years into this?

No, i don’t have the answers but it would be foolish to rely solely on one tactic, which is difficult to pull off, very far away, when the biggest resource we have is weight of numbers and passion here in England. We need to find a way to harness that.
    I don’t believe that you have answered my question. It seemed to me that the implication of your original post was you were aware of something significant in the protest line was going to happen before ROT were next going to Belgium.

I, and no-one else that I can think of has ever suggested that ROT’s activities are a solution of itself: nothing that CARD or the B20 and indeed any other protest group has done has been a solution of if itself. if that were the criterion of any protest than everything that CARD, B20 and everybody else has done, including you, must be judged a dismal failure. What ROT are trying to do is continue to put pressure on Roland in his own backyard. ( Exactly what CARD were attempting with their taxi protest, what B20 have been doing have been doing for two and a half years and what prompted CARD and and B20 to jointly organise the unity march.) It may help, it may not but at least it is an attempt to do something when the well of other ideas appears to have run dry.

A meaningful contribution to this effort would be for people that to join ROT with the Ten pound membership fee. I do not believe that is beyond the means and wit of 99 per cent of Charlton fans. A bigger contribution would be for people to go to Belgium for one weekend and help deliver leaflets; in which case 1cent of Charlton fans would do nicely.

In your third paragraph you seem to imply that I am digging people out “ two and a half years into this “. When have I done that?

With regard to your fourth paragraph, I agree with every word.

• Options

PeterGage said:

Of course CAST is "doing something". Three of us (one of whom is supposed to be on holiday) have spent most of our weekend on it. But it's the nature of Supporter Trust stuff that it is prepared with care and below the radar until such time as we have something concrete to report.

There is absolutely no point in the Trust trying to duplicate either CARD or ROT efforts to generate public attention to our plight. Indeed we are part of CARD, that is the whole point of it. Within the CARD team you have at least two people who are media professionals, and better placed to understand and activate the media than anyone within the Trust Board. That is the strength of the Coalition.

And as for ROT? Well, see you in Sint-Truiden sometime soon.

Roland Out Today.

Thanks for your post.

CAST recently announced that it does not support the proposed actions of CARD, due as I recall to the impending sale of the club. Now that it seems that the sale is far from certain, does CAST retain their previous stance? Furthermore what actions are CAST recommending to it's paid supporters to help bring forward the sale?

Thanks in advance for your response.

We also always have to ask ourselves, about any call for our members to do "something", how would the next owner view our actions? Are they the actions of responsible mature people with whom they could in future have "structured dialogue" a permanent fans voice in the boardroom ultimately.
    The desire for a place in the boardroom is exactly what is holding CAST back, imo and is why I've never joined, the focus should be protecting the club and for the last 4 years has meant getting RD out, not protecting future relationships that may never exist.

Also, surely any future owner will understand
    the situation that caused the call to do something, I know I'm biased but I can't think of any other clubs that have relied on their fans like ours.

If I was looking to buy the club the dedication and passion shown by fans during protests would impress me, not worry me.

OK...I think for some people, the very word "boardroom" is red rag to a bull. I get that. So let's not get fixated on "a seat on the board" with all that conjures up to some. What Trusts are all about is what is now called "structured dialogue". I don't like the phrase but what it should mean is that fans' elected representatives meet regularly with the club ownership to ask questions and get answers about the strategic direction of the club. What is the financial position? What does this mean for squad development? What are the the reasonable goals for the team? What resources will be needed and can this Board get them? Not operational things, which are dealt with separately in a Fans Forum. Pompey and AFCW are owned by the fans, some Trusts like Brentford are on the Board, some are not but over time have built surprisingly strong dialogues with difficult owners in regular minuted meetings. Chelsea are a good example. Spurs were, but last year they fell out with Levy. Fulham meet every three months.

That's our goal (I mean of every Trust). Not necessarily "in the boardroom" in the sense you mean it. But it means, like it or not, that there have to be fans whom the owners think understand business and are in the eyes of the owners, realistic, reasoned, reasonable. Because they don't have to talk to any one of us.

Anyone who thinks that that sounds like people who are, I don't know, "middle class" or happier in a lounge than in the Covered End, doesn't know me, nor the brilliant people I have met from so many other Trusts in the last 5 years. I'll be happy to compare credentials for being "Proper Charlton" with anyone in the bar at the AGM.
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:

Mrkinski said:

PeterGage said:

Of course CAST is "doing something". Three of us (one of whom is supposed to be on holiday) have spent most of our weekend on it. But it's the nature of Supporter Trust stuff that it is prepared with care and below the radar until such time as we have something concrete to report.

There is absolutely no point in the Trust trying to duplicate either CARD or ROT efforts to generate public attention to our plight. Indeed we are part of CARD, that is the whole point of it. Within the CARD team you have at least two people who are media professionals, and better placed to understand and activate the media than anyone within the Trust Board. That is the strength of the Coalition.

Roland Out Today.

Thanks for your post.

CAST recently announced that it does not support the proposed actions of CARD, due as I recall to the impending sale of the club. Now that it seems that the sale is far from certain, does CAST retain their previous stance? Furthermore what actions are CAST recommending to it's paid supporters to help bring forward the sale?

Perfectly reasonable questions. This is not a CAST forum so I will reply only on the basis that it's my personal opinion, and which i have not yet shared with the rest of the team.

Indeed the principle concern we had was about timing. It absolutely was not a narrow issue of "we don't want to boycott because we personally have bought season tickets", as was portrayed on here. At the same time, there would have been a question of hypocrisy. Many CAST members are season-ticket holders. We would be asking them to boycott, which would mean that all CAST board members who are ST holders, would need to be convinced that the idea would have the desired effect, at that time, which was mid July.

We also always have to ask ourselves, about any call for our members to do "something", how would the next owner view our actions? Are they the actions of responsible mature people with whom they could in future have "structured dialogue" a permanent fans voice in the boardroom ultimately. At the time, on balance we judged that the takeover was likely to proceed in the timescales fed to us, and that being the case, we decided that we would look neither responsible nor mature by backing the call at that time. Or to put it more graphically, to avoid getting a message from Gerard Murphy along the lines of "what part of 'two weeks hopefully, please be patient' did you clowns not understand?"

It now appears that our relative optimism was misplaced and none of us bow to anyone in our dismay at that. Therefore it follows that we will review our decision, not least because there were opinions of, 'well if it were (xxxdate) it might be different."

Personally I think boycotts are highly problematic, as can be seen on CL every day, but I also believe in multiple activities at the same time to achieve our goals.

Hope that clarifies.
    This is nor a CAST forum? Are you saying this is a CARD forum then? I thought it was a Charlton forum!
    Prague clearly did not say that or even infer that. Not helpful.
    I wasn't trying to be unhelpful. I come here as I think this is a Charlton Forum that allows (and encourages) all viewpoints - protesters and non-protestors, Card, ROT and everyone who loves CAFC. Sorry if I misunderstood the meaning of the "This is not a CAST forum" line from PragueAddick.
    No problem, thank-you for explaining.
  • Options
    Conversation in the bar at the CAST AGM
    PA: when I went to the Valley as a young lad I had to walk barefoot from Kidbrook
    LL: Kidbrook? I had to walk from Grove Park in just my underpants as I had no other clothes

(Apologies to Monty Python)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PeterGage said:

Roland Out Today.

Thanks for your post.

We also always have to ask ourselves, about any call for our members to do "something", how would the next owner view our actions? Are they the actions of responsible mature people with whom they could in future have "structured dialogue" a permanent fans voice in the boardroom ultimately.
    The desire for a place in the boardroom is exactly what is holding CAST back, imo and is why I've never joined, the focus should be protecting the club and for the last 4 years has meant getting RD out, not protecting future relationships that may never exist.

Also, surely any future owner will understand
    the situation that caused the call to do something, I know I'm biased but I can't think of any other clubs that have relied on their fans like ours.

If I was looking to buy the club the dedication and passion shown by fans during protests would impress me, not worry me.

OK...I think for some people, the very word "boardroom" is red rag to a bull. I get that. So let's not get fixated on "a seat on the board" with all that conjures up to some. What Trusts are all about is what is now called "structured dialogue". I don't like the phrase but what it should mean is that fans' elected representatives meet regularly with the club ownership to ask questions and get answers about the strategic direction of the club. What is the financial position? What does this mean for squad development? What are the the reasonable goals for the team? What resources will be needed and can this Board get them? Not operational things, which are dealt with separately in a Fans Forum. Pompey and AFCW are owned by the fans, some Trusts like Brentford are on the Board, some are not but over time have built surprisingly strong dialogues with difficult owners in regular minuted meetings. Chelsea are a good example. Spurs were, but last year they fell out with Levy. Fulham meet every three months.

That's our goal (I mean of every Trust). Not necessarily "in the boardroom" in the sense you mean it. But it means, like it or not, that there have to be fans whom the owners think understand business and are in the eyes of the owners, realistic, reasoned, reasonable. Because they don't have to talk to any one of us.

Anyone who thinks that that sounds like people who are, I don't know, "middle class" or happier in a lounge than in the Covered End, doesn't know me, nor the brilliant people I have met from so many other Trusts in the last 5 years. I'll be happy to compare credentials for being "Proper Charlton" with anyone in the bar at the AGM.
    I might go to the AGM this time and if you wear your gillet I’ll even buy you a beer :wink:
  • Options
    Relative Importance
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

Solidgone said:

CAST should be taking the lead; the spokesman for the fans.

But they never have done, they followed from the beginning and focused on surveys.
    Honestly, what nonsense, especially from the bloke who loves to make snide comments more often than not on the Trust Facebook page.
    You never answer on your facebook page, and as a member i have every right to comment on the CAST facebook page, maybe you should justify your existence rather than throwing your toys out of the pram, or would you rather do a survey first.
    So finally I rose to the bait. Perhaps I didn't answer on Facebook because I have met you in person at a sponsor's dinner- Alan Curbishley, wasn't It? And accepted your LinkedIn request. And exchanged constructive private messages about your suggestions for Trust surveys (oh the irony) on here once upon a time. So perhaps I decided diplomacy was the best policy.

But seeing as this thread has descended into anyone and everyone ripping shreds off each other, perhaps it seemed like the appropriate time to join in.

I so despair sometimes.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Jaysus
    I see Rick has reverted to type.
    I'm glad we didn't have social media when we were trying to get back to the Valley.
    Can we just give ourselves a reminder.
    We're all Charlton fans, we want to get our club back.
    We need to get a fecking grip & do that together.

If we had social media back then we would of never got back to the valley,thing is now theres 100s of opinions all different and we had that little Italian guy.......................................camaraderie
  • Options
    Unbelievable thread. Full of everything that is wrong about the Charlton fanbase.

Maybe it's not just the Charlton fanbase, maybe it's a football thing or a reflection of society in general.

Either way, it matters not. It's pathetic and embarrassing.
  • Options

Jaysus
    I see Rick has reverted to type.
    I'm glad we didn't have social media when we were trying to get back to the Valley.
    Can we just give ourselves a reminder.
    We're all Charlton fans, we want to get our club back.
    We need to get a fecking grip & do that together.

If we had social media back then we would of never got back to the valley,thing is now theres 100s of opinions all different and we had that little Italian guy.......................................camaraderie
  • Options
    It's not "absolute rubbish" though. It's my opinion, and not you or the Charlton Life thought police are going to change how I felt when I read some of these comments. So just live with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So a healthy debate about getting rid of blood sucking owner on a fans forum is "Full of everything that is wrong about the Charlton fanbase"?

Really?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Addickted said:

So a healthy debate about getting rid of blood sucking owner on a fans forum is "Full of everything that is wrong about the Charlton fanbase"?

Really?

Oh right, because that's what I said isn't it - that EVRY comment was wrong?

To be honest, you can think what you want mate, I'm not going to rise to it.

Good day to you, sir.
  • Options
    How did standard liege get rid of him, how many leaflets did that take ?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

How did standard liege get rid of him, how many leaflets did that take ?

It took (a) intimidation by their Ultras gatecrashing his office - definitely not the "Charlton way" - and

(b) the financial situation at the club which enabled him to award himself a multimillion euro "dividend", thereby letting him to pose to his sycophants as a genius in the world of football ownership. In the process he left them broke, and they consequently fell to their lowest ever league position.

Maybe they would have been better off using leaflets?
    In any event, they have provided ammunition for the one produced by ROT - see the ROT objective thread.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Really?

That isn't what this thread has been though is it. It's just sniping from supporters of the various protest groups against one another, just like the contest to be the most ITK on the takeover thread.

We all want the same outcome, but the egos on show make the whole thing tiresome.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Unbelievable thread. Full of everything that is wrong about the Charlton fanbase.

Maybe it's not just the Charlton fanbase, maybe it's a football thing or a reflection of society in general.

Either way, it matters not. It's pathetic and embarrassing.

I am afraid that you are absolutely right, even though I am sure you include me as one of the guilty parties.

From my POV the thread has been utterly poisonous from the very first OP, and has caused significant damage in relationships between people who should be allies in actively working to help get rid of Duchatelet as soon as possible (and are working hard in their spare time when they might prefer to be enjoying the summer with their nearest and dearest) on what they think they can do, as I said to the OP in my reply.

That's all I am going to say on this thread, although privately some things will need to be resolved so that we can get back to focusing on the actual objective.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    PA - please reread my original post which opened this thread as it was in no way "utterly poisonous"

To remind you I published an email to CAST highlighting the current plight of our club and asking if they had any plans, also suggesting that we all support ROT.

Please tell me how that is "utterly poisonous"?

PS: I'm assuming that "the very first OP" refers to my opening post
  • Options

PA - please reread my original post which opened this thread as it was in no way "utterly poisonous"

To remind you I published an email to CAST highlighting the current plight of our club and asking if they had any plans, also suggesting that we all support ROT.

Please tell me how that is "utterly poisonous"?

PS: I'm assuming that "the very first OP" refers to my opening post

OK, I will at least answer that.

1. You wrote your email to CAST at 15.00, I understand. You started this thread at 15.05.

2. You've made two similarly phrased "calls for action" of the Trust in the last 3 years. The first time however, from what I have just found in my emails (at my office, in work time), you at least confined yourself to a direct email to CAST. And you received a response. I cannot remember which of the two occasions it was, but in one case Steve Clarke gave you a call and you spent a lot of time discussing your concerns together and the challenges which face a Trust all day every day when fans are in conflict with owners. After that you kindly posted on CL that you had clearly changed your viewpoint and encouraged people to join CAST.

I think that if Steve gave you a call today he and you would probably have a very similar conversation, even if the details of where CAFC are today are different to the last two times. I guess if you had waited for a reply in a reasonable time scale, you'd have got one, and not a short one either. He made the effort to call you because you joined up as member no 70, which is much appreciated. But you know, I think there's a limit to how much you as an individual should expect people to respond like that. I could understand it if the CAST "board" were a "Board" of stuffed shirts earning a shed load of money. We are just fans like you, and if we are used as a punchbag for people to vent their frustrations, don't be surprised if the punchbag punches back in equal frustration, especially at this time. But it does not do any good, does it, to "throw punches" at each other?