Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Phillips cost us there when he conceded that equaliser if that’s Amos he saves that all day long. Phillips can be as home grown as he likes but he’s proper out of his depth

perfect analysis .. unfortunately
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

guess who's scored for Bolton this p.m.

Keep up, Lincs .... it was commented on by several about an hour ago. :smile:

an hour ago I was on the metro coming back from the game .. all right for you fatarsed armchair pundits

Oggy Red said:

an hour ago I was on the metro coming back from the game .. all right for you fatarsed armchair pundits
    I'm not really fat-arsed, Lincs. My GF says I've got the body of a racing snake, whatever that means. :smile:

BTW, all credit to you for getting up to the game ...... but don't forget, I've had a 5 minute walk back from my local pub.
    And uphill all the way in hot sunshine.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

I'm not really fat-arsed, Lincs. My GF says I've got the body of a racing snake, whatever that means. :smile:

BTW, all credit to you for getting up to the game ...... but don't forget, I've had a 5 minute walk back from my local pub.

your GF must be short sighted or you bribed her .. a racing snake ?!!! .. f f s (never been to a snake race)
  • Options
    Pearce says he doesn’t know how bad his injury is, but hopes it’s not as bad as the last one.
    Bowyer says he’ll be fine!
  • Options
    Haha Boro score at the death to the Scum.
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer says “ we are down to the bare bones” of a squad/ team. It’s the first game of the season!
  • Options
    ‘Twas a game of two halves. We dominated the first period, they dominated the second. We had chances to score more than one. They took their chances. Harsh lesson learnt but with our paper thin squad we’re going to struggle for the rest of the season unless something drastic happens between now and 9 August.
  • Options

“We were the better side first half, they were the better side second half – it is what it is."

Can't think who might have said that.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b65bee1ec4a6/bowyer-on-opening-day-defeat-injuries-transfers-in-and-the-travelling-fans

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

your GF must be short sighted or you bribed her .. a racing snake ?!!! .. f f s (never been to a snake race)
    Come to think of it, she does have to wear glasses for reading now. Can't remember the last time she was wrong, though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Haha Boro score at the death to the Scum.

And that sadly is what Douchbag has reduced us to - cheering when our local rivals (who let's not forget are a division above us ) concede a late goal.
  • Options
    Like to hear the ref excuse for not sending off the Mackem after the penalty. Last man surely? Goal scoring opportunity.
  • Options
    Feel for Bowyer his hands are tied, Makes me think of a Fergie quote years ago 'You have to field a team with what you got not with what you want" The quicker this takeover deal gets done the better. How can a deal this small take so long? Jesus it's not like Amazon are buying out Apple for Fucks Sake.
  • Options
    We need another striker desperately , that's without letting Ajose go
  • Options

Phillips cost us there when he conceded that equaliser if that’s Amos he saves that all day long. Phillips can be as home grown as he likes but he’s proper out of his depth

Agree that he should never have been beaten by that shot. Poor defending all round for it too.
  • Options
    Posting from the Town Mouse Ale House in Newcastle (recommended :smiley: ) as I wend my weary way home. Result was predictable, we ran out of pace after 20 minutes, but the team spirit was commendable and gives me hope for the season ahead. How sad is it that an attacking midfield talent like Joe Aribo has to reign in his forward play in order to protect a younger talent in George Lapslie? Just feck off Roland.

Don't know how it came across on telly but the support was magnificent, strangely highlighted by the roars when Sunderland scored, I've never heard a sound like it!

• Options
    Bowyer sounded really down I. The post match interview.
    Nice to hear the way he says
    “we couldn’t get out” in a broad South London accent
    Not having a Belgian manager is the only dim light in a very dark tunnel right now. Could be worse - we could be Oxford.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Come to think of it, she does have to wear glasses for reading now. Can't remember the last time she was wrong, though.

no .. what I was about to type is just TOOOO cruel ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addickson said:

How sad is it that an attacking midfield talent like Joe Aribo has to reign in his forward play in order to protect a younger talent in George Lapslie?

Joe Aribo had to play the JFC role, rather than playing along side him.

In the circumstances, I thought Joe played the role fairly well and had a very decent game, especially in the 1st half.

• Options
  • Options

Bit of a pointless comment given that Amos no longer plays for us. Might be an idea to try and get behind Phillips while he's playing - the rest of the team aren't perfect either.

If we had better players, better owner and better manager we'd do better.
    Yeah, we'd be in a better division.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Bit of a pointless comment given that Amos no longer plays for us. Might be an idea to try and get behind Phillips while he's playing - the rest of the team aren't perfect either.

And we'd have better fans....
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

And we'd have better fans....
    We've got some of the best already.

Just not many of them left. If Roland Rat stays in charge much longer we'll fit the crowd in at Sparrows Lane.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

it's got beyond the point where anyone can keep defending Phillips except on the grounds of bloody mindedness or shortsightedness .. @Greenie Junior has summed it up perfectly, he might be 'one of our own' but he just is not good enough .. yes Amos has gone, the point is, to stretch it further 99% of keepers with a lot of innate talent or experience would have stopped that shot .. a professional football team cannot keep a keeper in the team who is so error prone .. keepers' mistakes are more often than not more costly than outfielders' errors, that is the nature of the position .. I, me, personally do not want to be watching a team where a keeper is kept in situ on the grounds that he needs experience .. let him go elsewhere where him getting experience will not cost my team points, will cost us games and possible promotion ..
    Lastly, I never have and never will slag off any CAFC player and you have no right to suggest that I am not behind Phillips or any other player who I travel long distances and pay good money to watch and have done for a long time ..
    and that is my very last word on the subject of Phillips, you might rate him, I don't
  • Options
    Blucher said:

The worst of all possible worlds - two of my local pubs couldn't get the game on Sky until the second half, so I missed what sounded like a very good performance in that first period.

From what I saw in the second half, Sunderland were nothing special but we looked increasingly leggy from the hour mark and slack defensive play gave them the equaliser and all the encouragement they needed. Our midfield faded, the two forwards became isolated and it was then just a question of whether or not we could hold on and see it out.

The game was a perfect illustration of the problems we face this season with a threadbare squad. We were forced to start two players - Taylor and Pratley - who were not fully fit and, whilst Sunderland were able to change their formation and introduce fresh legs, we had no one on the bench who was realistically going to affect the game. Bowyer could have brought Ajose on for Taylor but I suspect he was wary of Sunderland's threat from set-plays. Nor is Ajose known for his ability to hold up the ball and relieve pressure.

Let's hope that Pearce, Solly and Page are going to be ok for next week and that Taylor and Pratley don't suffer a reaction to playing 96 minutes when they were not in a condition to do so. We could certainly find ourselves even more short-handed next week.

It is going to be a very, very hard season and am feeling less than enthused at the prospect of a bruising encounter with Shrewsbury next Saturday.

I wonder if ginger will be there.