Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Excellent article.

Any chance He Who Doesn't Do Failure can be sent a copy?
  • no matter how good Bowyer is, or how hard the players work, or how good the academy products are, the only thing that matters to fans is Duchatelet himself. And until he sells, many of them will not pay to support the club.
    Says it all for me.
  • Great article. In all seriousness I am in total despair and dreading a relegation season in this crap Division.
  • Very good article that, lets all share widely on social media.

Glad that among other things the journo has made sure the EFL know what de Turck said about the ODT.
  • The Aribo contract story has been flying around for a while. I was told both he and Fosu were offered new contracts which were then withdrawn and reoffered at lower wages, which is why they haven't signed them.

I want to be shocked, but in reality it comes as no surprise...
  • Sponsored links:

• Frightening stuff. I can only imagine Bowyer stays on in the hope of a takeover and better times ahead as now seems grim all round.
  • Bowyer and Jackson are the only positives at the moment.
  • Very good, well written article. If the takeover collapses then we are f***ed.
  • there have been some bad times at Charlton over the years but I feel now is even worse than when we left the Valley, at least we had a decent football team at that time
  • The Aribo contract story has been flying around for a while. I was told both he and Fosu were offered new contracts which were then withdrawn and reoffered at lower wages, which is why they haven't signed them.

jesus christ.
  • its like tommy d found a bug in his football manager game that if you offer them a contract, withdraw the offer and offer half the money they'll accept. Then thinking football manager is literally like real life.
  • HarryLime said:

I didn't think I could could become even more depressed at the state of our club.
    I was wrong.

Reading the article is like witnessing a patient dying. I think I'll spend some time translating it into Chinese and post it on social media sites. Today I saw in a chat group that a Hongkongese Sunderland supporter was complaining about their inability to offload a player (Cattermole) who is on big wages and the Hongkongese even said they'd be relegated with him in the side. I got a bit angry immediately because what kind of problem is that? They know absolutely nothing about what we are suffering ffs.

The spokesman's comments on cost reductions are very worrying. Cutting costs by rationing food and water? And judging by what he said, the potential new owners will do the same? Why doesn't RD just shut the whole club down?! :rage:
  • HarryLime said:

I didn't think I could could become even more depressed at the state of our club.
    I was wrong.

Reading the article is like witnessing a patient dying. I think I'll spend some time translating it into Chinese and post it on social media sites. Today I saw in a chat group that a Hongkongese Sunderland supporter was complaining about their inability to offload a player (Cattermole) who is on big wages and the Hongkongese even said they'd be relegated with him in the side. I got a bit angry immediately because what kind of problem is that? They know absolutely nothing about what we are suffering ffs.

The spokesman's comments on cost reductions are very worrying. Cutting costs by rationing food and water? And judging by what he said, the potential new owners will do the same? Why doesn't RD just shut the whole club down?! :rage:
    i think the point was that getting operational costs down would make tthe club more attractive to a buyer. Which it might do, but equally it might attract the wrong sort of buyer (those that dont have much money and think they can cut even more operational costs).
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

The article quotes a club spokesman effectively saying that cutting breakfasts, lighting and water for example were necessary to cut running costs, which one can understand at least, but then also says the running costs were putting potential buyers off.
    So the club cuts absolutely at the margins of operation instead of making a big saving that would swallow all of the others by making a member of staff redundant. I would suspect that one single staff cut would speak more to potential buyers about running costs than meetings in the dark.
    The anagram of the name of the person I have in mind is 'None than a hokey'.

I suspect he was the spokesman

• Blimey.
  • Why are our running costs so high, would hazard a guess that the academy, Sarr and Igor are the main 3?
  • Disgraceful behaviour by Duchatelet, the sole purpose of which can only be to encourage Aribo and Fosu to leave and for him to trouser the resulting transfer fees (heavily discounted for cash, no doubt). Bowyer said that Bauer has been offered a new contract, presumably on the new austerity basis, so don’t expect him to be signing any time soon. If I was in the players’ shoes, I’d just let my contract run down and walk away for free.

As for the guff about cutting costs and austerity, the club are messing around at the fringes in a manner which is going to make very little real difference, save to demoralise the staff and players and encourage the latter to try and get away. Maybe Duchatelet should have thought about cost control before he placed reliance upon the judgment of the great Thomas Driesen and appointed Katrien Meire to negotiate contracts and transfers.

Of course, the other way of reducing operating losses is to try and increase income and turnover by running the club competently, showing some football ambition and promoting the fortunes of the team - none of which are ever going to happen under this appalling owner.

What is he trying to achieve in the medium and longer term and does he even know ? I suspect not.
  • I remember Richard Murray saying some years ago that, whist we have a fine stadium, the level of Business Rates and running costs make it a financial burden if we're in League 1.

Another good reason not to spend more time than absolutely necessary dicking around in this division. I expect the next move from Duchatelet will be to close part of the ground, as crowds wither away to 5-6,000. The way things are shaping up, we're going to have the biggest ground in League 2.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Why are our running costs so high, would hazard a guess that the academy, Sarr and Igor are the main 3?

They’re high for a L1 club but we are not an average L1 club. In terms of the stadium alone it is going to much dearer to operate than, say, Oxford or Peterborough, never mind Rochdale or Burton. It’s a false comparison. But the main cost is football wages, which are entirely down to RD.
    Did you have some involvement in this article being published / written? Curious as to why this journalist chose to pick up on what he has.