Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sign Language to become a new GCSE?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Good idea probably a lot more useful then being about to ask where is the discoteque
  • Options

Good idea probably a lot more useful then being about to ask where is the discoteque

I pride myself of being able to ask for 2 baguettes, where the cat is and how to find la discoteque. GCSE French passed
  • Options
    I hope all you expectant parents are looking forward to having your 'theybies'.

Whatever you do, don't gender your child as it's a choice that should be left to them to decide.

*wibble*

• Options
    It is a good idea, but it would be even better if it could be decided that only one sign language for the World be adopted. (Obviously the French would have their own). The USA has the most used one so maybe it should be that one?

If that were done, in the fullness of time one could converse with anyone from anywhere.
  • Options
    There is a "universal" sign language which is actually called International Sign Language which is widely used around the world especially in Deaf sports/competitions such as Deaflympics but not everyone knows it. Each country have their own sign language even though some countries share the same spoken language such as USA/Australia/UK speaks English but they all have their own sign language.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I hope all you expectant parents are looking forward to having your 'theybies'.

Whatever you do, don't gender your child as it's a choice that should be left to them to decide.

*wibble*

;)
    I'm offended.

Fortunately, nothing happens when someone is offended and I also have no right not to be offended.

Be like me :wink:
  • Options
    Anyone help me, I’ve a young lady at school who is deaf I’d like to learn some basic sign language to help make her more comfortable. Nothing to advanced and suitable for a 6/7 year old child. Not the sort I use when communicating with @Redmidland 😉
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Anyone help me, I’ve a young lady at school who is deaf I’d like to learn some basic sign language to help make her more comfortable. Nothing to advanced and suitable for a 6/7 year old child. Not the sort I use when communicating with @Redmidland 😉

Do you know what sign language she uses? That would be the first step. Once you know the language, there will be lots of resources online.

I've seen Makaton used a lot in primary schools, although I'm not very good with it myself. I'm not sure if it's used with children who are deaf or hard of hearing, but it's certainly used with children who have other communication difficulties.

There's also British Sign Language, which may be more likely for a child who's deaf or hard of hearing.

I'm sure YouTube would have loads of stuff on it for whichever language you need.
  • Options
    Cheers @Gillis I’m ignorant on the subject, I didn’t know there were different types of signing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Our littlen ( 2 1/2) is learning BSL to help with his communication as he doesn't talk yet. So far he has 'please, thank you and help', absolutely nailed.

We've been advised to only try and learn 3 at a time, but itl be an amazing skill to carry forward if/when he does start talking.
  • Options
    If you have young kids and you want them to learn makaton then I recommend you watch Something Special on cbbc. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    T_C_E said:

Do you know what sign language she uses? That would be the first step. Once you know the language, there will be lots of resources online.

I've seen Makaton used a lot in primary schools, although I'm not very good with it myself. I'm not sure if it's used with children who are deaf or hard of hearing, but it's certainly used with children who have other communication difficulties.

There's also British Sign Language, which may be more likely for a child who's deaf or hard of hearing.

I'm sure YouTube would have loads of stuff on it for whichever language you need.
    You tube mate for the basics. My missus did this so she could learn some sign language, to wish a colleague happy Christmas. 
  • Options
    Great idea.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I pride myself of being able to ask for 2 baguettes, where the cat is and how to find la discoteque. GCSE French passed
    I can ask for two beers, a hotel room, and a train ticket in five languages, six if you include English. Travelling around Europe, it’s all you need. 
  • Options
    Good pub quiz question. After English and Spanish, what’s the third most used language in the USA. I’m sure we all know the answer. 
  • Options
    Good pub quiz question. After English and Spanish, what’s the third most used language in the USA. I’m sure we all know the answer. 
    Mandarin?