Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Failing to name driver prosecution

Comments

• He's been driving around 12 years. I believe he got 3 points about 7 years ago but nothing other than that.

I suffer from ostrich syndrome as does he. Ignore it and it'll go away.
    It doesn't, as I know to my cost.
  • cafcfan said:

yeah maybe he will have to suck it up. I haven't seen the paperwork so it's possible he got done for the speeding at the same time.

Particularly sad as at 36 in a 30 and a previous clean licence, if he'd complied he'd probably just got away with a speed awareness course and no points. His future insurance quotes are likely to be a very painful read too.
    agreed, just did the license check online and it says " TT99: ‘totting-up’ - if the total of penalty points reaches 12 or more within 3 years".

But then clearly states he only has 6 points.
    Could it be that he already had 6 poinrs at the time of the offence ?? Thats when it counts. The old 6 points may have now been wiped & replaced by the new ones, but back at the start of the year.....???
  • A nurse friend of mine (I am not a nurse just in case any if you were wondering) already had 9 points on her licence and got caught going through two cans on the M1 smart motorway section. This accrued a further 6 points. She attended court with a solicitor and sue to the potential impact to her and the NHS she was given a £600 fine but allowed to keep her licence which now has 15 points on it.

If you exceed 12 points you can escape a totting ban if you can show that a ban would cause you exceptional hardship. You can only do this once, you would have to be banned if you received further points.
  • He's been driving around 12 years. I believe he got 3 points about 7 years ago but nothing other than that.

He’s lying.
    possibly but I have been on the gov site and it says he has 6 live points and a ban for totting up which doesn't seem to add up but it's there in black and white.
    He needs to find out what the original 6 points is for. If he is genuinely unaware of it he may be able to make a statutory declaration in court, which would effectively reopen the case.
  • A nurse friend of mine (I am not a nurse just in case any if you were wondering) already had 9 points on her licence and got caught going through two cans on the M1 smart motorway section. This accrued a further 6 points. She attended court with a solicitor and sue to the potential impact to her and the NHS she was given a £600 fine but allowed to keep her licence which now has 15 points on it.

If you exceed 12 points you can escape a totting ban if you can show that a ban would cause you exceptional hardship. You can only do this once, you would have to be banned if you received further points.
    That seems ridiculous, of a ban would cause considerable hardship, don't clock up 12 points!

Seems very odd you can put everyone else on the road at risk, multiple times, yet get away with it due to your job.
  • edited August 2018

A nurse friend of mine (I am not a nurse just in case any if you were wondering) already had 9 points on her licence and got caughtgoing through two cans on the M1 smart motorway section. This accrued a further 6 points. She attended court with a solicitor and sue to the potential impact to her and the NHS she was given a £600 fine but allowed to keep her licence which now has 15 points on it.

Surprised she didn’t get done for drink driving.

That seems ridiculous, of a ban would cause considerable hardship, don't clock up 12 points!

Seems very odd you can put everyone else on the road at risk, multiple times, yet get away with it due to your job.
    Is everyone at risk? |Cameras are poorly positioned there is no rhyme nor reason to limits and the reality of risk.
    40mph stretch of M6 at moment utterly ludicrous, same limit as my lane which has no cameras, 7 accidents in two years plus horses, cyclists and kids going to and from 3 high schools and 2 primaries let alone the people trying to get in and out of their homes as many motor by at 50 plus.
    Meanwhile nearby on double mini roundabout linking to sections of NSL road there is a small 30mph section of road eaither side of roundabouts. Must be 150ft maximum, with regular camera van hiding in parking layby with new paint schemes that make them look like commercial vans.
  • Far more risky are the arseholes on their phones with impunity or dicking about with phones acting as satnavs or dash cams or all the other shite people have.
  • Far more risky are the arseholes on their phones with impunity or dicking about with phones acting as satnavs or dash cams or all the other shite people have.

can you please explain the problem with using phone for navigation?

It's illegal

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/satnav-mobile-phone-drivers-illegal-police-fine-200-npc-bank-holiday-roads-gps-a7912191.html
  • Sponsored links:

• People driving along resetting them or changing the view clearly not looking at road. Or using them to make calls but thinking they're being clever cos google maps is but a swipe away.
  • People driving along resetting them or changing the view clearly not looking at road. Or using them to make calls but thinking they're being clever cos google maps is but a swipe away.

You could make the same case for all the built in gizmos cars have nowadays. My old bucket was off the road for a week and I rented a qashqai. That you press a touch screen to navigate, play music, see how eco friendly your driving style is and make calls is barely less distracting than using a mobile to do the same thing - you still have to take your eyes off the road to use it. Is that illegal too?

• Dont get me wrong back in the day as people on here would know from long trips north and back me and the laws of the road were strangers to each other but if getting done for 36mph on an A road makes you a moral vacuum as some would have on here then I want the same for phone users and dashboard botherers who spend more time looking at screens than roads.

Are they far more risky?
  • edited August 2018
    IdleHans said:

People driving along resetting them or changing the view clearly not looking at road. Or using them to make calls but thinking they're being clever cos google maps is but a swipe away.

You could make the same case for all the built in gizmos cars have nowadays. My old bucket was off the road for a week and I rented a qashqai. That you press a touch screen to navigate, play music, see how eco friendly your driving style is and make calls is barely less distracting than using a mobile to do the same thing - you still have to take your eyes off the road to use it. Is that illegal too?

Yes. Potentially. It's called driving without due care and attention. (Which could get you a worse penalty than using a mobile.)

BTW, does the qashqai not have supplementary hard controls on the steering wheel to do the basics? I'd be surprised if it doesn't.
  • Huskaris said:

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a friend too and he has erectile dysfunction. Any ideas?

Tell him to get a better looking woman.
  • Huskaris said:

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a friend too and he has erectile dysfunction. Any ideas?

Or a dirtier one.
  • edited August 2018
    cafcfan said:

Huskaris said:

Or a dirtier one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Offenders get "credit" for an early guilty plea hence, perhaps, why TV show crooks appear to get lighter sentencing. Also as juveniles they would automatically get legal help/aid so have the advice of a solicitor

The offender in this case ignored the court, wasted everyone else's time and so got a bigger penalty. By not naming the driver they were perverting the course of justice which is a serious offence.
  • edited August 2018
    Surprised a ban was given in absence. That can't happen in Scotland. If a person fails to appear in court here then it's likely a warrant will be granted for their arrest.
  • cafcfan said:

IdleHans said:

People driving along resetting them or changing the view clearly not looking at road. Or using them to make calls but thinking they're being clever cos google maps is but a swipe away.

Yes. Potentially. It's called driving without due care and attention. (Which could get you a worse penalty than using a mobile.)

BTW, does the qashqai not have supplementary hard controls on the steering wheel to do the basics? I'd be surprised if it doesn't.
    The steering wheel is covered in buttons but there was no manual in the car. All I wanted to do was turn down the bass on the stereo anyway - never did work out how to do that.
  • IdleHans said:

cafcfan said:

IdleHans said:

The steering wheel is covered in buttons but there was no manual in the car. All I wanted to do was turn down the bass on the stereo anyway - never did work out how to do that.
    Just twiddle the volume knob (that is not a disparaging remark by the way). :wink:
  • It seems that some of the younger generation believe that if you "bury your head in the sand" it will all go away.

I respectfully suggest that your friend learns his lesson and isn't as foolish again.

Have you never been stressed before? There are many people with mental health problems who cannot face opening post - particularly with depression.

Really annoying post.
    Having serious mental health problems and being a bit stressed are entirely different. If you ignore things they don't go away.

You have to take responsibility sometimes and face up to things - if you don't the outcome will invariably be worse.

That's patently untrue. There are people out there with more than FIFTY points on their license still driving around: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/driver-62-penalty-points-licence-exceed-limit-still-on-road-investigation-bbc-a7594891.html
  • edited August 2018

Far more risky are the arseholes on their phones with impunity or dicking about with phones acting as satnavs or dash cams or all the other shite people have.

Are they far more risky?
    I think so, seen too many hit kerb or stray across white line but especially worrying on motorway.
  • Addickted said:

Far more risky are the arseholes on their phones with impunity or dicking about with phones acting as satnavs or dash cams or all the other shite people have.

It's illegal

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/satnav-mobile-phone-drivers-illegal-police-fine-200-npc-bank-holiday-roads-gps-a7912191.html
    It's not illegal. Illegal to touch the phone whilst driving - so provided you have the route loaded up on your phone and your phone in a cradle on the dash or windscreen, not on the seat you're fine
  • It seems that some of the younger generation believe that if you "bury your head in the sand" it will all go away.

I respectfully suggest that your friend learns his lesson and isn't as foolish again.

Have you never been stressed before? There are many people with mental health problems who cannot face opening post - particularly with depression.

Really annoying post.
    Having serious mental health problems and being a bit stressed are entirely different. If you ignore things they don't go away.

You have to take responsibility sometimes and face up to things - if you don't the outcome will invariably be worse.
    It's still bollocks in the sense that it is just the younger generation that ignore things. Such a lazy generalisation.

All of those things are illegal already though, I believe.