Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Bauer (**Confirmed Leaving Pg 2**)

Comments

• Options
    BR3red said:
    Am I the only one who is a little upset by this as his decision? Money over loyalty to Bowyer and co imo? 
    Really?

Times have changed (a lot, due to Dollar).

Just gave 4 years to a club in turmoil and scored “That goal”.

Just had a baby ...

Say he was just offered 5k a week by CAFC but was offered double that by say Blackburn. What would you do?
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Am I the only one who is a little upset by this as his decision? Money over loyalty to Bowyer and co imo? 
    It's interesting isn't it. Bauer is being sent on his way with best wishes, despite leaving to a team in the same division for free. Compare that o the reaction Grant got for moving to the Premier League for a fee.

I used to get very upset at players leaving, but now I;m older I respect anyone's right to move on in their life to try an better their circumstances. Some decisions pan out, others don't but Paddy's handled himself pretty well, early season tweets aside, and if he feels this is the best thing for him and his family - good luck to him.

I am disappointed we're losing the only player currently in our squad with a track record of playing well at Championship level

Look at the whole day at Wembley and what Grant missed out on. A chance to have a promotion put on his CV instead he gets a relegation with Huddersfield, I just hope the smell of all the extra money was worth it for Grant in the end as we both find ourselves in The Championship next season.

Grant got the chance to play half a season in the Premiership - and finish as his new club's leading goalscorer.

That will be on his CV also. 
    Fair enough but all the extra money in the world can't buy what happened at Wembley.
    I doubt Ahearne-Grant will worry too much about that whilst he's been trousering 20k plus(?) a week.
  • Options
    A shame. I've always liked him. He wasn't the greatest Championship defender though so all we can hope for is that we get taken over and aim for a better standard of defender. Otherwise he'll be a big loss as there's no chance us getting a player of his standard under Roland again.
    It went downhill when he got injured in 2015/16
  • Options
    Must admit I’m struggling to accept the money in the game nowadays. Bang average Championship players are earning more in a month than the vast majority of us do in a year. Seemed only,a few years ago that was the prem players, but now they get that in a week. 

Football has definitely lost its head in terms of paying wages that a club doesn’t earn. That’s one of the few things Roland actual has right imo
    Think we will see more financial meltdowns of championship clubs next year. Apparently Birmingham losing 700k a week! 
  • Options

AA, you got me. But I was hoping never to use it ....

And on the other hand, I never got to use Patrick Hat-trick.

• Options
    Becoming a father may have had something to do with it I think. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Must admit I’m struggling to accept the money in the game nowadays. Bang average Championship players are earning more in a month than the vast majority of us do in a year. Seemed only,a few years ago that was the prem players, but now they get that in a week. 

Football has definitely lost its head in terms of paying wages that a club doesn’t earn. That’s one of the few things Roland actual has right imo
    He is right but wrong. If clubs are willing and able to overspend, then other clubs have to try to compete with them. FFP is probably the answer, but we all knew it wouldn't be implemented as needed when the overspenders threatened to sue. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shame his leaving, all down to budget, still his last touch in the red shirt will NEVER be forgotten. 
  • Options

AA, you got me. But I was hoping never to use it ....

And on the other hand, I never got to use Patrick Hat-trick.

I’d have gone for Hatrick Bauer...
  • Options

Whilst I probably agree why is it any different from the sums actors and musicians earn and other "entertainers"?

Said it before but if everyone cancels their Sky Sports and BT subscriptions this morning the revolution would happen by tea time and salaries return to some semblance of normality.

Football fans have put the money in the game largely through sky sports subscriptions as the tv money facilitates all the financial madness.

Stop funding that and pretty much overnight the model materially changes.
  • Options
    Have to wish Patrick well.  One of the few signings by Duchatelet's team that more than provided value.

I'm with Afka.  It's utter madness that Preston can pay 100,000s more than us.  Last time in the champ, it was teams such as Blackburn and Bolton, not virtually the whole division.

I wholeheartedly wanted Patrick to stay, but I also remember the Patrick lapses under Karlo's Barca ball. Does Patrick deserve a 'market' wage, even if it's utterly financially unjustifiable.  Yes.  Would I stay if I was offered double/triple wages, and..... I don't even need to consider the erratic Duchatelet inherent destabilisers to answer that one.

Grant is different we wanted to sell, as we could get some return rather than a tribunal at the end of the season.  Either way both players contributed massively.  Thank you.

I remember when Nicky Forster didn't sign for us and went to Brentford due to wages.  I couldn't understand it in my youth, and was indifferent when he signed for us as a veteran.  That was for hundred's of pounds a week maybe.  Now I sympathise a little, just a little.  After all Billy Manuel was playing for Brentford then.  But this is for hundred's of thousands more, in possibly his last chance for a big contract.  Good luck Patrick, and thank you.

• Options

Whilst I probably agree why is it any different from the sums actors and musicians earn and other "entertainers"?

Said it before but if everyone cancels their Sky Sports and BT subscriptions this morning the revolution would happen by tea time and salaries return to some semblance of normality.

Football fans have put the money in the game largely through sky sports subscriptions as the tv money facilitates all the financial madness.

Stop funding that and pretty much overnight the model materially changes.
    Reckon subscriptions will be the second tip of the iceberg, maybe even the first if streaming gets easier

i.e. Once the billionaires dry up the signing fees will be less maybe even meaning that the big names wont want to come to England - Will certainly become one less reason to sign up to SKY or BT if your not getting to see the big names

Either that or those two mentioned will be forced to increase their prices to cover the billionaires who have walked away and so price the majority of people out
  • Options
    It's interesting isn't it. Bauer is being sent on his way with best wishes, despite leaving to a team in the same division for free. Compare that o the reaction Grant got for moving to the Premier League for a fee.

I used to get very upset at players leaving, but now I;m older I respect anyone's right to move on in their life to try an better their circumstances. Some decisions pan out, others don't but Paddy's handled himself pretty well, early season tweets aside, and if he feels this is the best thing for him and his family - good luck to him.

I am disappointed we're losing the only player currently in our squad with a track record of playing well at Championship level
    Difference is Bauer saw it through to the end and became the Wembley hero. It's not even about being the Wembley hero it's the fact he remained professional and knew that offers would still be on the table for him at the end of his contract.

The same would have applied to Grant had he stayed i'm sure the fans would have wished him all the best if he'd stayed and helped us to get promoted, teams would have come in for him anyway.

Look at the whole day at Wembley and what Grant missed out on. A chance to have a promotion put on his CV instead he gets a relegation with Huddersfield, I just hope the smell of all the extra money was worth it for Grant in the end as we both find ourselves in The Championship next season.

Bauer for seeing it through can at least be applauded for seeing out his contract. Grant meanwhile...? will he even get clapped when his name is read out at The Valley?
    Poyet saw out his contract whilst I laying a big part in us staying up and got pelters though.  Ultimately, the reason KAG and Poyet got some grief is because people felt they would both go on to improve and be worth a lot of money and potentially move us forwards as a club.  Bauer is a bit different in that everyone likes him and is sad to see him go but is unlikely to get a lot better than he currently is
  • Options

Not helped by the fact that a third of the division, (Hudds, Cardiff, Fulham, West brom, Stoke, Swansea, hull and middlesbrough) are all picking up parachute payments.

The 3 sides who've just come down are getting more from their 1st year payment than our entire club is apparently worth.
  • Options

Difference is Bauer saw it through to the end and became the Wembley hero. It's not even about being the Wembley hero it's the fact he remained professional and knew that offers would still be on the table for him at the end of his contract.

The same would have applied to Grant had he stayed i'm sure the fans would have wished him all the best if he'd stayed and helped us to get promoted, teams would have come in for him anyway.

Bauer for seeing it through can at least be applauded for seeing out his contract. Grant meanwhile...? will he even get clapped when his name is read out at The Valley?
    Poyet saw out his contract whilst I laying a big part in us staying up and got pelters though.  Ultimately, the reason KAG and Poyet got some grief is because people felt they would both go on to improve and be worth a lot of money and potentially move us forwards as a club.  Bauer is a bit different in that everyone likes him and is sad to see him go but is unlikely to get a lot better than he currently is
    Bauer also explained at the start of the season that he wouldnt be signing another one - Never once threw his toys out of the pram (not that Diego did either) and was professional throughout this season after giving us four good years

I think the issue with Poyet is that he came into the First-Team in the Winter and was gone at the end of that season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A big fan of the BFG. Dependable, dangerous at set pieces and a leader on the pitch. You always know how good a player is when they are not in the team through injury or suspension. He as well as us will always remember his last kick of the ball in a Charlton shirt. 
    What a way to leave Pat and we thank you.
  • Options
    dickad1 said:
    I'll tell you what has made me a bit sad upon reflection and I bet this doesn't happen to many sides. If we do lose Aribo, that means the last 3 players to make the passage of play for our winner will be gone. Aribo to Cullen to Bauer. Can also say Purrington as well for the first. 

And didn't Parker win the free kick, taken quickly by Williams (I think) who fed Cullen in the lead up to Bauer's goal?

That just leaves Pearce who made the final clearing header and our last competitive touch, and he's widely reported to be off. 

Players always move on I know, and shorter contracts and loans nowadays make this ever more frequent, but still!  

The last six Charlton players to touch the ball, plus our other goalscorer, in our promotion winning game all likely gone before the next competitive match! If anything amplifies the predicament we are in and takes the gloss off that amazing day. 

As things stand if Bowyer and his management team keep us up next season it will be a greater achievement than what he's just delivered.

I'm so glad he's still with us. 
    I thought it was Pearce who made that last clearing header, but go back and look again and I'm pretty sure it was Purrington
  • Options
    dickad1 said:
    I'll tell you what has made me a bit sad upon reflection and I bet this doesn't happen to many sides. If we do lose Aribo, that means the last 3 players to make the passage of play for our winner will be gone. Aribo to Cullen to Bauer. Can also say Purrington as well for the first. 

And didn't Parker win the free kick, taken quickly by Williams (I think) who fed Cullen in the lead up to Bauer's goal?

That just leaves Pearce who made the final clearing header and our last competitive touch, and he's widely reported to be off. 

Players always move on I know, and shorter contracts and loans nowadays make this ever more frequent, but still!  

The last six Charlton players to touch the ball, plus our other goalscorer, in our promotion winning game all likely gone before the next competitive match! If anything amplifies the predicament we are in and takes the gloss off that amazing day. 

As things stand if Bowyer and his management team keep us up next season it will be a greater achievement than what he's just delivered.

I'm so glad he's still with us. 
    I thought it was Pearce who made that last clearing header, but go back and look again and I'm pretty sure it was Purrington
    Commentators called it as Pearce. Need a good HD recording to check. 
  • Options
    Pretty certain it was Pearce 
  • Options
    It was Pearce. 
  • Options
    100% it was Pearce. Came out about 10 yards to ensure he headed the ball away.
  • Options
    According to Wikipedia he is now wearing the no 5 shirt for Blackburn.....
  • Options
    According to Wikipedia he is now wearing the no 5 shirt for Blackburn.....
    Preston fans seemed pretty certain yesterday he was going to them?
  • Options
    Also makes me think a takeover isn't that close. As Bowyer could've said to him 'hang on a bit and we'll be able to give you a better offer'. Pretty sure he'd have preferred to stay here than move up north. He'd still be contracted for another 2 weeks anyway?