Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby to become 'Big Nasty'

2»

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

I think he could possibly be converted to a defensive midfielder.

He is a physical presence, has good skill, can ping a long ball, has a shot on him. Most importantly, an error in his tackling or marking would be a little less critical because there would be defenders behind him.

Haha when a central defender is so bad at being a defender the only option is to play him in midfield!
  • Options
    edited July 2018

He got better last season but at times he still looked like a player with considerable physical attributes and no clue how to use them. Glad to hear the coaches see that too and are at him over it. As we keep saying, he’s really got everything he needs to play at a much higher level, and in fact has done. Hopefully this season and Bowyer can be the ones that finally tease all the talent out of Naby.

Having learned the game continental style, you would think the Third Division would be the environment to toughen him up British style.

There's no doubt the coaching staff here see him as a real talent. Bowyer has already said they are working hard to try and instill a ruthless streak - and of course, as a player, Bowyer himself had that in spades.

Naby has also got Jason Pearce as a role model. Lyle Taylor has been quoted that in training he is out to pin Naby down and bring out the 'nasty streak' in him.

You heard it here first: Sarr establishes himself in the team, plays like Franz Beckenbaur - and is flogged to Brighton for £7 million in January! :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

He got better last season but at times he still looked like a player with considerable physical attributes and no clue how to use them. Glad to hear the coaches see that too and are at him over it. As we keep saying, he’s really got everything he needs to play at a much higher level, and in fact has done. Hopefully this season and Bowyer can be the ones that finally tease all the talent out of Naby.

Having learned the game continental style, you would think the Third Division would be the environment to toughen him up British style.

There's no doubt the coaching staff here see him as a real talent. Bowyer has already said they are working hard to try and instill a ruthless streak - and of course, as a player, Bowyer himself had that in spades.

Naby has also got Jason Pierce as a role model. Lyle Taylor has been quoted that in training he is out to pin Naby down and bring out the 'nasty streak' in him.

You heard it here first: Sarr establishes himself in the team, plays like Franz Beckenbaur - and is flogged to Brighton for £7 million in January! :smile:

RD pays off the Directors loans with those proceeds and then ........... we both woke up. :wink:
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Naby has also got Jason Pearce as a role model. Lyle Taylor has been quoted that in training he is out to pin Naby down and bring out the 'nasty streak' in him.

Or £500,000 in cash, if RD still in charge :smiley:
  • Options
    Naby looks set to represent Senegal at international level. With an Africa Cup of Nations tournament to be hosted in 2019, I initially thought Naby would miss most of January this season for us (ACN usually held in January), but it seems they have moved the ACN to the summer of 2019, so shouldn't be a major issue for us.

https://www.metrodakar.net/sports/foot-ce-champion-du-monde-franco-senegalais-a-decide-de-jouer-pour-le-senegal/
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Naby looks set to represent Senegal at international level. With an Africa Cup of Nations tournament to be hosted in 2019, I initially thought Naby would miss most of January this season for us (ACN usually held in January), but it seems they have moved the ACN to the summer of 2019, so shouldn't be a major issue for us.

https://www.metrodakar.net/sports/foot-ce-champion-du-monde-franco-senegalais-a-decide-de-jouer-pour-le-senegal/

Just goes to show that footage of 1 superlative goal scored in a meaningless pre-season friendly, can go viral and change a player's fortunes. :smile:

Good luck, Naby. May it help you turn into the player you should be.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

What do you smoke, out of interest ?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Oggy Red said:

What do you smoke, out of interest ?
    :wink:

• Options
    Leaving out everything that goes with it, when Sarr is in command of the ball his passes are accurate and well weighted in the main.
    I think the idea from @Davo55 above is worth consideration.
  • Options
    Ok, I accept that others have a higher opinion of Sarr than I do.
    So I was thinking who I could liken him to and then I remembered.
    "Bombscare" as he was known to many/some.
    Yes, Paddy McCarthy, you never quite knew what he was going to do and that unsettled his team mates and the supporters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is very casual but has quality on the ball. I thought he had a good game yesterday.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Yes, Paddy McCarthy, you never quite knew what he was going to do and that unsettled his team mates and the supporters.

Disagree. You always knew what Paddy would do. Turned or beaten for pace he would go into "octopus" mode. Bobby Goldthorpe, now there was a defender you never knew what he would do. Also ex-Palace.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Disagree. You always knew what Paddy would do. Turned or beaten for pace he would go into "octopus" mode. Bobby Goldthorpe, now there was a defender you never knew what he would do. Also ex-Palace.
    Quite. 1st goal Sarr was beaten for pace.

Ok Pearce lost a header & maybe Steer shouldn't have come for the ball, but he was a fair way out too start with.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Quite. 1st goal Sarr was beaten for pace.

Ok Pearce lost a header & maybe Steer shouldn't have come for the ball, but he was a fair way out too start with.
    Maybe not all Sarr's fault, then ? :smile:

All 3 could have done better.
  • Options
    People focus on his negatives, but what about the time in the first half we stepped up into midfield to cut out a pass and played a perfect ball up the left channel for Taylor? Sublime defensive work that turned into an attack instantaneously, none of our defenders in recent years could do that like he can
  • Options
    McCarthy seems to do very well after us
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

People focus on his negatives, but what about the time in the first half we stepped up into midfield to cut out a pass and played a perfect ball up the left channel for Taylor? Sublime defensive work that turned into an attack instantaneously, none of our defenders in recent years could do that like he can

He has 1 or 2 great passed per game, but also has 1or 2 mistakes in him every game too.

Whether he was at fault or not for the goal yesterday there were still at least 2 occasions where he miscontrolled or misjudged the ball and it put us under pressure. Until he cuts that out he will always get stick from some.
  • Options
    He truly is the Black Maldini.
  • Options
    Carter said:

As long as he has a hole in his arse he ain't a professional centre half let alone a nasty one who dominates his centre forward.

Then he must wear an anal plug during matches. It would only be for 90 minutes (plus the usual 8 minutes extra time).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He’s pretty good for a fourth choice CB in the third tier.

When we won the title in 11/12 our fourth choice was Gary Doherty.
  • Options
    A decent enough player at this level - he does appear to switch off sometimes hence why he's not playing at a higher level.

• Options
    Naby has all the attributes to be a very good centre half its his lack of concentration that lets him down.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He was a decent fourth choice too.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Garry Doherty and Miguel Llera still give me nightmares - pace was not something either of them had.
  • Options
    He’s a back up CB in League One, he’s not going to be Bobby Moore and he’s good enough for that role. If we got promoted he would be a liability but cross that bridge etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Scoham said:

Garry Doherty and Miguel Llera still give me nightmares - pace was not something either of them had.
    No, but they were decent fourth choices. I think Sarr can improve with games under his belt too. Not will, but can!
  • Options
    Naby's improvement this season has been pretty impressive. Seems to be cutting the mistakes out of his game and has stood out in the last few games.

Seems a real character.
  • Options
    He is good with the ball. Yesterday his passing was slightly off, but he doesn't hide. It has to be said, but he is currently our best centre half.